Yes in China they really do eat dogs it's sick - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.atourhands.com/dogeat.html

Here your about to see some images of dog's getting ready to be killed and eaten. This is in China it's more commen then people think, and yeah its pretty cruel those poor dogs, I wish I can grab them out of those cages and give them a hug. WARNING: not for the lighthearted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Why is it any more gross than eating a cow or a pig?
#3 Old 04-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Vegan Police Officer

And in Europe and North America, people eat pigs and cows and it's really sick. (posted after Annikat's post which I hadn't seen. Great minds think alike.)

PrettyVacant: Do you find it more shocking that some people eat dogs than the fact that some people eat pigs and cows?

I get pretty sick of hearing people all over the world criticising the Chinese for their eating habits, when the majority of them are tucking into a big juicy "steak".

I agree of course that the animals in China frequently receive extremely brutal treatment and it is heartbreaking. However, the Chinese people themselves often receive extremely brutal treatment and that is heartbreaking too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think the OP was necessarily excusing the eating of pigs, cows, and chickens in the western world by pointing out the eating of dogs in China.
#5 Old 04-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok sorry I am aware eating cow's and pig's is the same here I am a vegan of course I know this, but this just shocked me I didn't know it was true they ate pets there
#6 Old 04-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyvacant View Post

Ok sorry I am aware eating cow's and pig's is the same here I am a vegan of course I know this, but this just shocked me I didn't know it was true they ate pets there

In countries that eat dogs they typically don't eat their pets. They usually have a specific breed of dog that they use for food that is far from the breeds people prefer for pets. The dogs are farmed like any other animal is farmed and are never living in the houses of people.
#7 Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 AM

Guinea pigs are eaten in South America too, I think it is a jolt when it is animals "closer to home" as it were. It is because of my guinea pigs for this reason that I started walking the path to veganism.
#8 Old 04-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Banned

Well I agree with the first two posters , they actually do the same thing to cats . But at the end of the day , its just another meat source .

With the Olympics coming up we will see images like those in the OP and a lot in the West will be "horrified" .
#9 Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyvacant View Post

There is a nascent and very slowly growing animal welfare movement in China, and there are some voices being raised against the killing of dogs and cats for food because there are more and people people who use these animals as "pets", which was not so common before.

Unfortunately, the animal "food" industry is growing by leaps and bounds, and while "meat" consumption may be getting a bit less in the Western world, it is increasing exponentially in China.

There have also been some reports of Animal Liberation Front activities. Courageous men and women indeed.
#10 Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Pigs and cows are pets to some people. A lot of animals can be pets and almost any animal can be food.
#11 Old 04-12-2008, 10:03 AM

I presume that the dogs that are being eaten, were themselves fed meat, so am I correct in thinking that, because this isn't a very efficient form of meat production, that dog meat is actually desirable, because it is dog meat?

#12 Old 04-12-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

In countries that eat dogs they typically don't eat their pets. They usually have a specific breed of dog that they use for food that is far from the breeds people prefer for pets. The dogs are farmed like any other animal is farmed and are never living in the houses of people.

They eat anything regardless of the breed. Look at the videos and you will see all manner of dogs in those cages, from german shepherds, to pointers to cockerspaniels, etc. You are right that they "farm" these poor animals and that they never live in the peoples houses, at least the ones who are destined for the dinner table. In Korea, they have a philosophy that the more terrorised a dog is at the time of its death, the more tasty it is, so boiling alive is common as is slow hanging.
#13 Old 04-12-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I presume that the dogs that are being eaten, were themselves fed meat, so am I correct in thinking that, because this isn't a very efficient form of meat production, that dog meat is actually desirable, because it is dog meat?

I read one comment wherein it stated that the parts of the dog that are not eaten by people, are fed to the other dogs.
#14 Old 04-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

For the most part they don't even pay lip-service to animal welfare in China. There are NO welfare laws at all in most places.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 04-12-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

In Korea, they have a philosophy that the more terrorised a dog is at the time of its death, the more tasty it is, so boiling alive is common as is slow hanging.

I really wish I had not read that. No words.
#16 Old 04-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

In Korea, they have a philosophy that the more terrorised a dog is at the time of its death, the more tasty it is, so boiling alive is common as is slow hanging.

The Kum sisters are doing great work for Korean animals, and can always use more financial support.
#17 Old 04-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrunner View Post

I really wish I had not read that. No words.

The whole world is such a tragic, screwed up place isn't it? I sometimes feel like I can hardly wait til I am old and die so that I don't have to think about any of this stuff again. It is on my mind on a daily basis. We are on a road that livestock trucks use occassionally to get to the freeway and my husband still eats meat so I'm reminded of the poor animals every day. I don't cook meat for him, but having to cook meals interesting enough to keep him from asking for it, is a constant reminder.

Can we just stop the world and get off please?
#18 Old 04-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't understand this question/comment.
#19 Old 04-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

Guinea pigs are eaten in South America too, I think it is a jolt when it is animals "closer to home" as it were. It is because of my guinea pigs for this reason that I started walking the path to veganism.

There's islands in the carribean where they eat Hermit Crabs. That's just...Wrong.=/ Not that the others arn't wrong, but...Hermit crabs?

I guess it's the same there as the poor pigs, chickens and cows are to some people in western civilization.
#20 Old 04-13-2008, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I don't understand this question/comment.

well, if you wanted to eat just meat, it would be more efficient to eat beef, because cows are herbivores that just eat plant matter.

whereas dogs are carnivores(omnivores?) and need to eat meat, which must come from animals that in turn probably ate plants. So, that, dog meat is less efficient, probably more expensive, so it must be desirable(I was asking) because it is dog meat. That is it must be a speciality, rather than just any old meat.

#21 Old 04-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Dogs don't need to eat meat any more than humans do. They probably still feed the dogs meat, but they would be fine on an all-plant diet. (My dog's primary food is vegetarian.)

Nonetheless, I think you're right. Dog's probably considered a delicacy.
#22 Old 04-13-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

However, the Chinese people themselves often receive extremely brutal treatment and that is heartbreaking too.

I think that we're all generally in agreement that eating any animal is gross. Wearing the fur or leather of any animal is unacceptable. So no one is pointing at the Chinese as being worse in that regard because they eat dogs, except that I think that even omnivores over here to a very large extent have a soft spot for Spot.

As far as the Chinese people themselves having received brutal treatment by their (government) I am not sure that that is an excuse for the violence perpetrated against animals. Do a search sometime on Chinese fur far and see if you can find any excuse for that brutality. I will warn you though, if you do that search, it is horrifying and the images will burn themselves into your brain forever and the next time you see some woman parading her "beautiful" fur coat, it will be all you can do to prevent yourself from throwing her to the ground and pummeling her senseless.
#23 Old 04-13-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:

well, if you wanted to eat just meat, it would be more efficient to eat beef, because cows are herbivores that just eat plant matter.

whereas dogs are carnivores(omnivores?) and need to eat meat, which must come from animals that in turn probably ate plants. So, that, dog meat is less efficient, probably more expensive, so it must be desirable(I was asking) because it is dog meat. That is it must be a speciality, rather than just any old meat.

I think it was BOF who pointed me to a websight for a Korean lady who runs a AR organization. In reading it, she says that when she left Korea years ago, the eating of dog meat was done only by the poorest of the poor, but that enterprising individuals did their very effective marketing and changed that whole attitude to accepting and relishing the eating of dog meat.
#24 Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I should also point out that pigs are quite omnivorous and are regularly used as meat too.
#25 Old 04-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

It is harder to imagen them eating something of the same species you're so close to, Isn't it?

I have cats, Dogs, Guineas, I've had rabbits, Fish and a horse. I've been around cows, Chickens, Goats and many reptiles through-out my life.

It hits a lot of people 'closer to home' when they hear about another culture eating the same species that they share such a bond with.

I've never felt that way myself. But I do understand where the people are coming from. Not everyone can be compassonate about an animal they've never had a real non exploitive experience with. Some people just can't get the thought of 'what if it was mine' out of their head when hearing about the same species being killed.

I don't like that people see what other cultures eat as 'disgusting and wrong' then they turn around and eat another animal because it's 'not the same'.

I don't expect todays 'common majority' to understand that all animals are wonderful when allowed to be. I just hope that someday the public can be better educated and learn to extend their circle of compasson.
#26 Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animosity View Post

It is harder to imagen them eating something of the same species you're so close to, Isn't it?

I have cats, Dogs, Guineas, I've had rabbits, Fish and a horse. I've been around cows, Chickens, Goats and many reptiles through-out my life.

It hits a lot of people 'closer to home' when they hear about another culture eating the same species that they share such a bond with.

I've never felt that way myself. But I do understand where the people are coming from. Not everyone can be compassonate about an animal they've never had a real non exploitive experience with. Some people just can't get the thought of 'what if it was mine' out of their head when hearing about the same species being killed.

I don't like that people see what other cultures eat as 'disgusting and wrong' then they turn around and eat another animal because it's 'not the same'.

I don't expect todays 'common majority' to understand that all animals are wonderful when allowed to be. I just hope that someday the public can be better educated and learn to extend their circle of compasson.

I'm confused. You do realize that you are talking to a forum full of vegetarians don't you? If anyone is allowed to see the Chinese eating habits as vile and disgusting, I would think that we all could. Seems to me, that most of us here are compassionate about animals that we've never had non-exploitive experiences with. I've never eaten snakes, and personally they freak me out, but killing and eating them is as bad as cows/pigs/lambs, etc.
#27 Old 04-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

I think it was BOF who pointed me to a websight for a Korean lady who runs a AR organization. In reading it, she says that when she left Korea years ago, the eating of dog meat was done only by the poorest of the poor, but that enterprising individuals did their very effective marketing and changed that whole attitude to accepting and relishing the eating of dog meat.

It was IAKA, founded by Kyenan & Sunan Kum.

(When I Googled 'IAKA' it said 'Did you mean IKEA!')
#28 Old 04-14-2008, 01:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

Did you mean IKEA!

The 2007 IKEA catalogue included a photo of a dog with what appeared to some to be a human-looking penis. The company stated that the "object in question" is the dog's leg

Do you think they ate it‽
#29 Old 04-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikat View Post

Why is it any more gross than eating a cow or a pig?

because here in north america, there are some animals that you just don't eat. dogs, cats, horses, dolphin, etc. yes, i suppose it's the same thing as eating a pig or a cow, but at the same time, it's viewed very differently by some people.
#30 Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I still think that the fact the Chinese are responsible for just about killing off all the tigers in the world because they use them as an aphrodisiac is much worse than their eating dogs, since dogs are NOT an endangered species.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page