Horse-riding lions. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

"Just when it seemed that the Chinese had plumbed the depths of animal humiliation, along comes something even worse.

The country which gave you bears riding bikes now proudly presents ... lions and tigers on horseback.

In one of the nation's most notorious zoos, applauding spectators are treated to a bizarre display as a 30-stone lion leaps on to the horse's back. "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so fed up with these idiots!
#3 Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

That is just horrible!!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

sad
#5 Old 02-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

The Doors movie is apparently 90 hours long and just as torturous.
#6 Old 02-08-2008, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Jesus. I feel worse for the horse than for the lion. Can you imagine the poor animal having to have a huge predator on its back? Not to mention the poor cats having to live like that and be "trained". I hate people.
#7 Old 02-08-2008, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh jeez...that poor horse. China has so many insanely talented performers and artists, there must be a way to convince these entrepreneurial asshats to back them instead of torturing animals for profit.
#8 Old 02-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw this in the paper (I dont buy daily mail! Metro is a free paper they give out on busses owned by Daily Mail so a lot of the stories are the same) and it made me go WTF on the bus.

speechless!
#9 Old 02-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

A few years ago, a circus in my (American) city had a similar performance with muzzled bears turning circles on the backs of cantering horses. The 6:00 news showed a clip of it as a way to promote the arrival of the circus to town(!)

Such spectacles appeared to be common in America during the turn of the century. When I was doing work-related research through old newspapers, I remember encountering photos of circus "animal trainers" displaying jaguars and other large cats "posing" on the backs of horses.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#10 Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Beginner

This is just terrible. Please take action to stop this cruelty. If you go to http://www.bornfree.org.uk/campaigns...vellers-alert/ and report this horror, hopefully this organization will do something about it. They saved thousands of animals from terrible zoos. Let's hope they will do something!

"I don't want to tamper with natural ignorance. It's the key to happiness.
Ignorance is the key. Too much knowledge and you're doomed."

"The Animals of the planet are in desperate peril. Without free animal life I believe we will lose the spiritual equivalent of oxygen. "
#11 Old 02-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

muzzled bears riding horses and bears in circus acts is quite common in Russia and apparently sometimes even in the USA. not sure about the UK or australia. however, what is certain is that most circus acts which use animals are cruel. hopefully things can be done to prevent such cruelty.
#12 Old 02-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

I'm so fed up with these idiots!

please identify the idiots you are referring to?
#13 Old 02-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Just idiots in general. Meaning those who think it's fun and entertaining to torment animals.
#14 Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

unfortunately i think that most people don't realize what is done to make an animal perform in a circus act. that is where spreading the word comes in, because I think that most people would be appalled when faced with information on how exactly circuses get animals to perform in these acts.
#15 Old 02-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Beginner

I realize that we have our own problems in this country, but I'm annoyed that the Olympics are going to be in China. I have expected some kind of backlash, especially after the pet-food recalls last year, but haven't heard anything. Have any of you?

(I'm referring to China as a whole -- particularly the government -- not to specific Chinese people, most of whom I'm sure are very nice.)
#16 Old 02-12-2008, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise1021 View Post

I realize that we have our own problems in this country, but I'm annoyed that the Olympics are going to be in China.

(I'm referring to China as a whole -- particularly the government -- not to specific Chinese people, most of whom I'm sure are very nice.)

Yes I have to agree! If we don't look at the animal cruelty in China (because Savannah would say something about the other countries being worse or the same) so I am not even going to mention how apaulling China's animal rights are, but what about human rights? Don't tell me that the West does children exploitation, denying your free speech, children's neglects, and it's all the goverment's fault, and poor Chinese people have to live like that. Communist Countries shouldn't have Olympic Games, that promote false pretencies, and show the world, that they are just the same as any other country in the world. It's just not right!
#17 Old 02-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Is it really any different than a heavy person riding on a horse? (not that horseback riding is ok, but you don't see a ton of OMG PEOPLE RIDE HORSES WHAT ARE THEY THINKING threads) I guess other than what the lion is put through as well....
#18 Old 02-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

As a prey animal, a horse has a natural fear of large carnivores of the sort that would be its mortal enemy in the wild. (think lion vs. zebra, or puma vs. mustang) Horse trainers even warn about the natural prey behavior that is hardwired into every horse.

Therefore, it makes sense that forcing a prey animal to interact with its predator so intimately (and leaping on the back even mimics the way a predator might attack) causes undue stress and fear to the prey animal.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#19 Old 02-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by againstcruelty View Post

Yes I have to agree! If we don't look at the animal cruelty in China (because Savannah would say something about the other countries being worse or the same) so I am not even going to mention how apaulling China's animal rights are, but what about human rights? Don't tell me that the West does children exploitation, denying your free speech, children's neglects, and it's all the goverment's fault, and poor Chinese people have to live like that. Communist Countries shouldn't have Olympic Games, that promote false pretencies, and show the world, that they are just the same as any other country in the world. It's just not right!

ha you can say what you want, i don't have any say about what you can say here. i might post my disagreement, but don't let that stop you.
#20 Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Beginner

OMG! an Asian veg*n! HI!
#21 Old 02-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

As a prey animal, a horse has a natural fear of large carnivores of the sort that would be its mortal enemy in the wild. (think lion vs. zebra, or puma vs. mustang) Horse trainers even warn about the natural prey behavior that is hardwired into every horse.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.
#22 Old 02-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

Is it really any different than a heavy person riding on a horse? (not that horseback riding is ok, but you don't see a ton of OMG PEOPLE RIDE HORSES WHAT ARE THEY THINKING threads) I guess other than what the lion is put through as well....

30 stone people don't ride horses. I can see plain fear in that horses face, i never see that on the horses i ride.
#23 Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i think you have no understanding of what the Olympic Games are supposed to be about. the games are promoted as a way to gain understanding in the world thru friendly competition in sports. excluding countries with governments you don't like is the antithesis of that in my opinion.
#24 Old 02-12-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

i think you have no understanding of what the Olympic Games are supposed to be about. the games are promoted as a way to gain understanding in the world thru friendly competition in sports. excluding countries with governments you don't like is the antithesis of that in my opinion.

Part of the olympics purpose is to encourage growth in sport and help countries (cities) develop an infrostructure that will promote sport and competitiion.

This is good in certain countries, but unfortunately in regimes like that in China, sport and competition is run under strict conditions already and these international events are not viewed as an involvement of the Olympic tradition and it's values but more of a show of what China can achieve (contrary to the beliefs of westerners and their views on communism).

Having the Olympics in China is not for the people or the athletes of China, but more of a selfish show off for the self serving pigs in power!

http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174
#25 Old 02-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

Except I'm afraid that NBC will highlight the good about China and brush over the human-rights angle (not to mention animal rights).
#26 Old 02-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Part of the olympics purpose is to encourage growth in sport and help countries (cities) develop an infrostructure that will promote sport and competitiion.

This is good in certain countries, but unfortunately in regimes like that in China, sport and competition is run under strict conditions already and these international events are not viewed as an involvement of the Olympic tradition and it's values but more of a show of what China can achieve (contrary to the beliefs of westerners and their views on communism).

Having the Olympics in China is not for the people or the athletes of China, but more of a selfish show off for the self serving pigs in power!

http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174

i think you have absolutely no handle whatsoever on what the Chinese people feel regarding the Olympics. your view seems to be based on beliefs that have no connection to the reality there. the Chinese I know there are excited. i will be joining them in the excitement too when i go there in august. again, achievement of international understanding thru competition and sportsmanship is the primary goal. wholesale political change and reform is not a condition to participation in the games or for hosting them.

the article you cited, while detailing the human rights problem and the failures of the regime to live up to its commitments, has completely unrealistic demands and goals such as China bringing about true democracy prior to the games in August. really, how realistic is that viewpoint? incremental change however might be furthered by contact between the west and China.

i think putting China under the glare of international coverage is good. i think that contact with others from around the world will be good too. hopefully the coverage won't shy away from controversy (like Denise fears it might in her post.) while i agree with the criticisms of the government, the idea that withholding the games would prompt change somehow is just plain wrong headed.
#27 Old 02-13-2008, 12:36 PM

I just hope the news coverage will bring to light the true problems and brutality that China creates and doesn't just gloss over everything Olympic propaganda.
#28 Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

That's awful
#29 Old 02-14-2008, 09:20 AM

In the Games, will the lions or the horses be awarded medals?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page