breeding dogs for money - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

one of the girls i work with is doing this and one of the guys i work with wants to buy a dog from a breeder. maybe i dont get it-- i think my peta side kicks in because i think its wrong to breed an animal for money. why not just go to an animal shelter? i can understand wanting a certain type of dog, but i dont think its right get a dog pregnant just to make money. spay and neuter the damn things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

my mom just bought two dogs and she wants to breed them and sell the puppies

I cried a lot when she bought them

I love dogs don't get me wrong

(and so does my mom )

she wanted a pug again really bad so she bought two

and plans to sell the puppies if they have them

It just makes me so angry

that it doesn't faze her that so many dogs are dieing everyday

and instead of buying a 400 dollar *akk* whatever registered dog you

could save a life

and buy from a shelter

:-(
#3 Old 10-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes and no.

Is profit a primary motive?...Then absolutely NOT!...Besides good breeders may lose money or break even so breeding for money won't work.

If one has money as a primary goal, one should skip the dog breeding and board dogs for people going on vacation or some other service.

If they are breeding already for other reasons and need to recap expenses related to taking care of the litter, acceptable. Though one really has to question breeding any dog when too many sit in rescues waiting for homes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I prefer rescues, some don't and that is okay. The most important thing is that if they are going to go to a breeder they make sure they are reputable and not inbreeding or over breeding, that is something I definitely don't agree with.
#5 Old 10-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't stand breeding dogs to sale because I feel it's like bringing more lives into this world when there are already so many being neglected and killed
#6 Old 10-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

It irks me when someone breeds their purebred dog to 'get their money back'. Heaven forbid that pet should get sick and run up a vet bill!
#7 Old 10-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Also, breeders take homes from animals in shelters and breed rescues. They are many, many purebreds in need of good homes. Why purposely add to the problem?
#8 Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

You could try gently reminding them how many animals are out there truly in need of a good home. Suggest they Google "[Breed of Dog] Rescue - [Your State]" or use the easy breed search on Petfinder.com.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#9 Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I tell them all the time but they just don't care
#10 Old 10-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

if everyone did care we'd all be vegan :-)
#11 Old 10-31-2007, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I can see of no good reason to deliberately breed dogs (or cats, etc) when so many die in shelters every day.

This is a good article on why you should rescue instead of breed.
#12 Old 11-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

You could try gently reminding them how many animals are out there truly in need of a good home. Suggest they Google "[Breed of Dog] Rescue - [Your State]" or use the easy breed search on Petfinder.com.

ive tried that. it's hard to get people around here to understand. like today i took the cat that lives in the warehouse to get spayed so i can take her home for keeps. some of the people who work here didnt understand why i would want to spay her-- because she doesnt need to have babies.
#13 Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't give up on people. My parents bred Cocker Spaniels, until their eyes were opened to the truths about animals in shelters.
#14 Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Breeders make me very angry. That's probably one of my biggest peeves when people, especially the completely uneducated ones, decide "Oh, puppies are cute, let's breed my dog 8D and then I'll sell 'em!". Are they SO insensitive?! I mean ****!
#15 Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

A couple of years ago, I had a couple of reall winners for neighbours (I'm not usually so judegmental, but this couple had some serious issues: they were drug dealers, didn't work yet bought loads of stuff on credit - especially dogs from the local pet store , they eventually burned down their house for the insurance money and bought a new one, etc). They had an intact female beagle that they got from someone else who had 'rescued' it from a breeder. The breeder was going to have the dog put down because it had a heart problem (really good 'breeder' too - probably just want to put the dog down because of potential vet bills, and didn't even insist on having the dog spayed before they released it to this other person). Anyway, this lovely neighbour of mine said one day she was going to breed this beagle and sell the puppies for extra cash. I told her I didn't think it was a very good idea to breed the dog due to it's health condition. She told me she was just going to give it a try once and "see how the puppies turn out". I was appalled. I don't remember what I said after that but I like to think it sunk in because she never did breed the beagle while I lived next to her.

But these are the types of people who are 'breeding' dogs. It makes me a fan of mandatory spay/neuter, unless you have a valid reason for not doing it. Breeders (as much as I am against them in the first place) should have to be licensed and inspected, imo. But that's a bit much to ask, I'm afraid.
#16 Old 11-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

For me, there are no legit reasons to breed animals. Even "good" breeders disgust me.
#17 Old 11-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

There are no good reasons to breed animals. People will do it anyway, so the educated ones should be sensible enough to save some shelter animals. Not make more.
#18 Old 11-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

my mother in law does this. she sees the dogs/puppies/pigs/goats/sheep-whatever she happens to be raising at the moment as investments. my husband and i have to battle with her to get them proper vet care(this woman tried to "treat" her dogs ear infection with FEBREEZE).

i think the people who want to breed should have to spend time in rescues and see the sheer number of animals put down.

heres a great article on how much it takes to raise a litter of pups:

http://sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/coleart.htm
#19 Old 11-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

I can see of no good reason to deliberately breed dogs (or cats, etc) when so many die in shelters every day.

This is a good article on why you should rescue instead of breed.

Eeek that article was hardcore....

I've never heard of a euthansia with "pink juice" nor seen an animal go into spasms when they're injected.

BUT it gets the point across, which is good. Unfortunately, there are a TON of "free kittens/puppies" that people get from Craig's list.com that bothers me. ((Don't really screen potential owners that I know of))..

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#20 Old 11-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Eeek that article was hardcore....

I've never heard of a euthansia with "pink juice" nor seen an animal go into spasms when they're injected.

BUT it gets the point across, which is good. Unfortunately, there are a TON of "free kittens/puppies" that people get from Craig's list.com that bothers me. ((Don't really screen potential owners that I know of))..

The article is brutally honest, and I think that helps it hit home. The animals that get injected are the lucky ones (think :CO2 chamber )

Pet ads should not be allowed on Craigslist, imo (with the exception of lost pet announcements).
#21 Old 11-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think there's a good reason to breed dogs either. Non-humans are not property to breed and buy and sell off...

So many dogs without homes...so many being put to death...and we bring more into the world??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page