Increased consumption of milk in China - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Vegan Police Officer

German consumers have dubbed the Chinese as "milk snatchers" for buying so much milk that prices of dairy products in Germany are expected to soar by 50%.

This is according to an article in the Guardian Weekly of 10th August. I am summarising the article (I cannot find it on the internet).

The President of China has said: "I have a dream - a dream to be able to provide all Chinese, especially our children, with half a litre of milk a day".

So the increase in milk consumption in China is rising by 25% a year. ONE THIRD of all the milk produced worldwide is now being transported to China, much of it from the EU and a significant amount from Germany, which produces 27bn (!!!!!!) litres a year.

The EU farmers would therefore like to increase production but cannot before 2015 because of milk quotas in force. Which means the prices of milk in Germany are rising.

And what the "milk farmers" are doing also are selling their high-performance "milk cows" to Chinese farmers, who are receiving government subsidies if they switch to dairy farming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Meat consumption is also way up in China and that is causing an increase in prices of grain around the world.

Quote:
Rising meat consumption in China will drive the increase in grain demand, as China's consumers more than double their consumption of meat, poultry, and fish from 17 kilograms per capita in 1991 to 43 kilograms per capita in 2020. Meanwhile, the amount of grain consumed directly as food will decrease, with per capita consumption of rice falling by more than 10 percent from now to 2020. By the authors calculations, feedgrain for animals will account for 38 percent of China's grain demand by 2020, up from 20 percent in 1991.

Grain production in China will lag behind demand through 2020, the study shows, but will improve as a result of investments in agricultural research and irrigation. China began reinvesting in agriculture in the early 1990s after investment declines in the 1980s. Earlier this month, the key lending institution for China's agriculture industry, the Agriculture Bank of China, announced it would increase loans to the agriculture sector by 24 percent in 1997 alone. Market development in China, particularly investment in facilities to handle the increased volume of imported grain, will also smooth the shock of production shortfalls and reduce the time and expense of importing grain, the IFPRI study notes.

"In recent years China has responded with investments in agriculture as they are needed to increase productivity," said Jikun Huang. "Our baseline projections of grain output are far below the more optimistic estimates given in recent years by Ministry of Agriculture officials, but the gap between production and demand wont be large enough to trigger the world food crisis that some observers fear. The net result will be a healthy increase in imports that offers opportunities for major grain producers, particularly the United States, which produces almost half the worlds grain exports."

http://www.ifpri.org/pressrel/021297.htm
#3 Old 08-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

So the increase in milk consumption in China is rising by 25% a year. ONE THIRD of all the milk produced worldwide is now being transported to China, much of it from the EU and a significant amount from Germany, which produces 27bn (!!!!!!) litres a year.

Any graphs or data sets floating around that correlate rising obesity and dietary dairy-related illness?

Keep on freepin' on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Beginner

With China's AR record (like that really makes it worse than anywhere else) i shudder to think about this whole thing.

"It is quite a new industry for China, but they are trying to be very technical about it. I saw 3,000 cows kept in pretty bad conditions. It did seem that they were trying to mimic the Western-style dairy unit. The whole climate isn't really suited to dairy farming - there's very high humidity."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6934709.stm

I strangely find that quote almost humorous (highlighted part), black and wrong, but humorous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowthepig View Post

Any graphs or data sets floating around that correlate rising obesity and dietary dairy-related illness?

I tried to find some graphs/hard data , but i couldnt. There seems to be an increase in both Japan and China of breast cancer since the increased use of dairy products though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page