Dubious NYTimes "Trend" story -- women eating meat to impress dates - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

New York Times article -- "Be Yourselves, Girls, Order the Rib-Eye"

The inimitable Amanda Marcotte offers her analysis of this matter.

I'm wondering exactly what sort of man these women are seeking to impress. Humorless macho-men of the sort whose idea of wit is "vegetables are what food eats?" Obsessive controllers who want to make sure that their girlfriends are eating exactly what they want? Insecure, guilt-ridden carnivores who try to resolve their internal conflicts by avoiding anyone whose existence serves as evidence that they could be eating differently? Maybe there are other types of men who find it important that their date eat steak or a hamburger, who are genuinely worth dating, but my intuition would be that, as a whole, the kind of man who is really turned off by you not eating meat is the kind of man whom it isn't a huge loss to turn off. There may be exceptions, but how can you rely on such exceptions as part of a systematic "dating strategy?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhan View Post

New York Times article -- "Be Yourselves, Girls, Order the Rib-Eye"

The inimitable Amanda Marcotte offers her analysis of this matter.

I'm wondering exactly what sort of man these women are seeking to impress. Humorless macho-men of the sort whose idea of wit is "vegetables are what food eats?" Obsessive controllers who want to make sure that their girlfriends are eating exactly what they want? Insecure, guilt-ridden carnivores who try to resolve their internal conflicts by avoiding anyone whose existence serves as evidence that they could be eating differently? Maybe there are other types of men who find it important that their date eat steak or a hamburger, who are genuinely worth dating, but my intuition would be that, as a whole, the kind of man who is really turned off by you not eating meat is the kind of man whom it isn't a huge loss to turn off. There may be exceptions, but how can you rely on such exceptions as part of a systematic "dating strategy?"

The original article made me want to smash my laptop.

What kind of silly woman makes the LAME decision to not eat ethically just to impress some meathead guy? Argh! It sure wouldn't impress me, I'd just be like "This girl is derranged; why did she order this giant rare steak? She either hates animals or she's trying to kill herself! Either way, count me out!"

Also, sorry, but, Jager? Haha! Seriously, if you're "manly" you a)stand up for what you think is right including your decision on what's on your plate... and b) can drink neat bourbon/Scotch/vodka! Jager is the most girly, syrupy thing ever!

The responding article was pretty good!
#3 Old 08-11-2007, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Of course, there are always those rare women who order what they want and to heck with what a man might think.

If you just take that quote and cut out the rest of the article, it's a good read.

It does skirt around the main issue here, which is be yourself, but it's a shame it completely misses it. The article ended dictating what men should order to impress their dates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I do see the point about men wanting to see a woman eat, though. There's this American taboo about women eating, many women feel embarrassed to be seen eating in public, especially if they're eating something decadent or heavy. I think that's crap. Eat what you want, ladies. Doesn't have to be meat. A big messy bean burrito can be just as sexy as a steak. Probably sexier, as the enchilada sauce at the corner of your mouth is fun to lick off.
#5 Old 08-14-2007, 03:01 PM

What a disgusting artiicle. When I see my wife order a salad, the only thought that crosses my mind is how proud I am to be a vegetarian and have such a compassionete and wonderful wife.

I certainly don't consider her weak. vapid, uniteresting, etc... She is by far the most interesting and colorful person I have ever known.

Its not surprising to see this article in the Fashion section of the NYT. We all know how compassionete and progressive the Fashion industry is toward the animal world.

Terrible article, poorly written and researched, and just another example of how little the average person knows about the people around them.
#6 Old 08-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

how sad. dont these guys find it creepy that a woman would be willing to give a whole belief system to impress a guy?why would they even want to be with a guy that would require that? i guess they dont think of these things.
#7 Old 08-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

You don't need to sacrifice your morals to get a partner. You just need to sacrifice your morals to get a partner who doesn't share your morals, would ridicule the morals you sacrificed, and who you can not feel secure around because they never would've accepted you for yourself. Where's the downside?
#8 Old 08-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw this article in my local paper, and shook my head in amazement. It must have been a VERY slow news day at the NYT. I liked how the article ended, with a woman wondering whether her date would "die young."
#9 Old 08-14-2007, 10:35 PM

Id say if women really want to be themselves move out of NY because it seems to be the home of dating neuroticism.
#10 Old 08-16-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer N View Post

I do see the point about men wanting to see a woman eat, though. There's this American taboo about women eating, many women feel embarrassed to be seen eating in public, especially if they're eating something decadent or heavy. I think that's crap. Eat what you want, ladies. Doesn't have to be meat. A big messy bean burrito can be just as sexy as a steak. Probably sexier, as the enchilada sauce at the corner of your mouth is fun to lick off.

Yeah, but I like how the article emphasizes that men want to see thin women who eat. There's just so much wrong with this on so many levels.

Not to mention that if a man isn't comfortable with my not eating meat, then he's really not someone I'd want to go out with again.
#11 Old 08-17-2007, 07:11 AM

I can't read the article. It says I have to log in.
#12 Old 08-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I found the article elsewhere:

http://starnewsonline.com/article/20...plate=currents

It's already archived at NYT so can't be read now w/o a subscription (as opposed to the free online account).
#13 Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.b. View Post

Yeah, but I like how the article emphasizes that men want to see thin women who eat. There's just so much wrong with this on so many levels.

Not to mention that if a man isn't comfortable with my not eating meat, then he's really not someone I'd want to go out with again.

I agree with those points. I wasn't agreeing with the whole article, just the part about how women should feel comfortable eating in public, without getting rude looks or comments. I'm pretty slender, and I got a few looks sometimes in East Coast restaurants when I was snarfing down a bean burger and fries or something. I can imagine that it's worse for fuller-figured women.

And I will also kick to the curb anyone who needs me to eat meat in order to date me. My veganism is the least of my crazy; if you can't handle a simple dietary choice, you won't last 5 minutes in my life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page