Road-kill chef says he's vegetarian!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 03-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
poppyseed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 290
poppyseed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular
 
poppyseed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 290
Ive just looked up his website and he has an award from PETA!!!!!. for 'Ethical cuisine'. Stating that he uses roadkill animals that have been killed by auomobiles. What ever next???
poppyseed is offline  
#3 Old 03-02-2007, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular
 
snownose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,009
Eww he uses fox meat.
snownose is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 03-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
vheogl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,188
Seems a bit closed minded to just deem him a 'twat' or disbute that his way of eating is unethical in any way. He doesnt go out and purposely kill animals. He uses what's there and to me theres nothing wrong with that. If anything from an enviomental perspective he's probably 10 times more ethical than most vegans, if you think how many miles fruits and vegetables often travel these days for our consumption. As for calling himself vegetarian, it's just a label, one he chooses and to him obvioussly feels accurate. If thats the case i don't have a problem with it, each to their own. I actually have a great deal of respect for the guy, if he wants to eat something that's going to be otherwise wasted, so what? I wouldn't stop him. Admittedly i wouldnt want to eat his cooking because meat to me is just disgusting. But thats just for me. Everyone has the right to choose whats right for them and he's doing that and and the same time being ethical.



Oh and for the record I'm a vegan and for primarily ethical reasons.
vheogl is offline  
#5 Old 03-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Lydia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 715
Is that a joke? Ew, I don't care if the bird was electocuted. It was dead on the side of the road! Weird.
Lydia is offline  
#6 Old 03-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular
 
nataliex1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 812
What a chill dude! Though I personally wouldn't eat an animal no matter how it died, that's much better than factory farming.
nataliex1122 is offline  
#7 Old 03-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
Why is he a "twat" for not supporting animal husbandry and factory farms?



I think it's great that PETA is supporting freeganism.
kpickell is offline  
#8 Old 03-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular
 
isowish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,858
I disagree with him calling himself a vegetarian. But I think you were very harsh on him. I think he's pretty cool, even though it's totally gross.
isowish is offline  
#9 Old 03-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular
 
sallyomally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,483
It just doesn't seem safe to me.
sallyomally is offline  
#10 Old 03-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Identity_thief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,707
I have a friend who actually goes by the same principles. I think it's awesome because it means people are thinking for themselves, it isn't meat is either good or bad but it's about considering why meat is good and bad, and if you come to the conclusion it's the killing of animals and not the eating of animals then it's ethically correct for you to eat road kill or animals that would otherwise be wasted.



Like I said, I think this way of eating is fantastic. I wouldn't do it but I don't condem it, it's certainly better than eating meat that's been bread for killing.



I think it's good to see, and if he wants to call himself vegetarian - let him. From what I gather from the artical I would much rather he was called vegetarian and I was associated with him by being a vegetarian and not the "eat-meat-except-for-fish-gelitine-and-sometimes-chicken-vegetarians" that I see so much of these days.
Identity_thief is offline  
#11 Old 03-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
piratemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,521
I actually quite like the guy too. I think the principle of low waste is something that many vegans would ascribe to, and it is important that we learn to live in harmony with our environment. In a sense, this is exactly what he is doing.
piratemoon is offline  
#12 Old 03-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
evan_fabiani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 590
broken link.



i would not eat this. but i know some vegetarians who would.
evan_fabiani is offline  
#13 Old 03-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Beginner
 
forthebirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 145
Sorry, but he's quite obviously not a vegetarian. And using animals that may have been pushed into traffic by human encroachment (not to mention all the implications of human created vehicles) just encourages further human behavior that increases abuse of the environment.



Besides -- roadkill feeds lot of other species, like crows for instance. I'd be more impressed if he simply moved the carcasses to a safer location off the road where more animals could benefit from the unnatural death. He certainly doesn't need to be eating it himself.
forthebirds is offline  
#14 Old 03-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
He's a meagan. Meagans are vegetarians who will eat meat if and only if it's found going to waste and will cause no harm to animals or further the animal meat industry.
kpickell is offline  
#15 Old 03-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

vegetarians who will eat meat

I wonder if I should start using troub's ascii picture too.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#16 Old 03-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthebirds View Post

Sorry, but he's quite obviously not a vegetarian. And using animals that may have been pushed into traffic by human encroachment (not to mention all the implications of human created vehicles) just encourages further human behavior that increases abuse of the environment.



Besides -- roadkill feeds lot of other species, like crows for instance. I'd be more impressed if he simply moved the carcasses to a safer location off the road where more animals could benefit from the unnatural death. He certainly doesn't need to be eating it himself.



I'm in agreement about roadkill going to waste. In it's natural enviornment it will be recycled by animal and organisms and less of it will go to waste that this guy tossing the bones in the trash. His behavior is even more bizarre than supporting factory farming.
Vegan Joe is offline  
#17 Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Newbie
 
Chillin' Dylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9
Who knows, maybe some of the animals were hit by a truck carrying some spinach or asparagus...or Cheezly! I'm getting hungry, so I'll go scrape some bugs off the car windshield...
Chillin' Dylan is offline  
#18 Old 03-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
poppyseed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 290
I sent him an email requesting he didnt call himself a vegetarian and his reply was long winded stating if he wishes to twist concept and labels thats up to him. I must admit, reading it all he sounded a bit barking to be honest.



My argument about it is twofold, One he shouldnt be called a vegetarian and the other is humans have enought choice of food stuff without robbing natural scavengers such as carrion birds etc,.
poppyseed is offline  
#19 Old 03-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Seb_0810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,320
He is a freegan but definately not a vegan. I think it is far better than factory farming, but I myself would not eat a roadkill animal.
Seb_0810 is offline  
#20 Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular
 
vheogl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed View Post

I sent him an email requesting he didnt call himself a vegetarian and his reply was long winded stating if he wishes to twist concept and labels thats up to him. I must admit, reading it all he sounded a bit barking to be honest.



My argument about it is twofold, One he shouldnt be called a vegetarian and the other is humans have enought choice of food stuff without robbing natural scavengers such as carrion birds etc,.





Why shouldn't he label himself a vegetarian if he chooses to do so? I'm guessing you label yourself a vegetarian/vegan or whatever. So if he personally feels thats what he is, why shouldn't he do it too? Or is this a 'i'm better than you because i'm a real vegetarian' thing? Why can't people just quit being so pathetic and stop labeling people and feeling all superior just because they choose not to consume products other people do or because they're true to the 'label'. Because tbh who cares anyway?!
vheogl is offline  
#21 Old 03-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Iria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Why shouldn't he label himself a vegetarian if he chooses to do so? I'm guessing you label yourself a vegetarian/vegan or whatever. So if he personally feels thats what he is, why shouldn't he do it too? Or is this a 'i'm better than you because i'm a real vegetarian' thing? Why can't people just quit being so pathetic and stop labeling people and feeling all superior just because they choose not to consume products other people do or because they're true to the 'label'. Because tbh who cares anyway?!



A lot of people here are sensitive about this because when people who eat fish or chicken call themselves vegetarians, other people assume all vegetarians eat fish and chicken. Sometimes this results in being told that "Yes, there will be vegetarian food at this gathering" and then being handed a tuna sandwich. It is just a label, but the definition of the word clearly states "no meat" and you are misusing it if you say otherwise.
Iria is offline  
#22 Old 03-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Why shouldn't he label himself a vegetarian if he chooses to do so? I'm guessing you label yourself a vegetarian/vegan or whatever. So if he personally feels thats what he is, why shouldn't he do it too? Or is this a 'i'm better than you because i'm a real vegetarian' thing? Why can't people just quit being so pathetic and stop labeling people and feeling all superior just because they choose not to consume products other people do or because they're true to the 'label'. Because tbh who cares anyway?!

Personally, I don't have some fancy explanation why I object to it, I just think it's dumb. I also think it would be dumb if someone insisted that a strawberry was an avocado or that cars should be called Huxtables, and that would have nothing to do with feeling superior or whatever.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#23 Old 03-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Beginner
 
forthebirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Why shouldn't he label himself a vegetarian if he chooses to do so?



Because he is lying, or confused, and potentially confusing others?
forthebirds is offline  
#24 Old 03-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5,198
Hmmm... I'm not sure what to call him, but he certainly follows the spirit of ethical vegetarianism. In this case, I'm not that concerned with labels.



One can argue that he is denying natural scavengers of a food source... this may be true, but I don't see how this is really that different from a vegan's garden occupying space that some animal might have used to forage for food. We have to eat something, and the cool thing is, he's not killing animals for his food.



My only concern is that the meat he eats might not be sanitary. I think road-killed animals are a bit more likely to have been diseased; healthy animals are generally more alert and faster than ill ones, and are better able to avoid cars. True scavengers can handle such material, but I don't know about humans...

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Tom is offline  
#25 Old 03-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
mazikeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,977
I think this guy is cool. Definitely not a vegetarian, and probably shouldn't call himself one, but I wouldn't jump on him for that. The concept of foraging for food seems to be gaining popularity lately, especially in the UK, and I'm happy to see more people speaking up for it and offering tips. I'm not enthusiastic about him using roadkill, I wouldn't eat meat however it was sourced, and I do share Tom's concerns about it being fit for human consumption. I find the argument about him potentially depriving natural scavengers of food a bit silly; he can't scourge the entire countryside and pick every single carcass, for one.



But at the end of the day, his effort is indeed benefiting the environment as well as the factory farmed animals he doesn't eat.
mazikeen is offline  
#26 Old 03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,872
He's obviously not a vegetarian but I don't mind that he calls himself one. People might recoil at the thought of eating roadkill. But how is that so different from what's on their plate? There are obviously health and sanitation issues but sometimes it doesn't take much for people to make the connection.



And if you're going to eat meat I guess this is the most ethical way of doing it.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Michael is offline  
#27 Old 03-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular
 
poppyseed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 290
I think anyone who would scrap anything of the road and eat it, has got to have a screw loose whatever it is?.



We vegans and veggies have enough mockery thrown at us without encouraging it like he does.
poppyseed is offline  
#28 Old 03-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Beginner
 
Dreaded Candiru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 106
I wouldn't call him a vegetarian any more than I'd call a vulture an herbivore, but I honesty don't see what's wrong with what he's doing. It might be kind of gross and I personally wouldn't eat his cooking, but I don't see anything ethically wrong with it.
Dreaded Candiru is offline  
#29 Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Someone get this guy a dictionary.
danakscully64 is offline  
#30 Old 03-10-2007, 03:20 AM
Beginner
 
DoveInGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 195
He is NOT a vegetarian simple as.



Imagine going to dinner and someone saying "Here, i cooked you this fox I found at the side of the road, vegetarians eat roadkill, right?"



He is a more compassionate meat eater than the rest who hunt or but farmed but in no way shape or form a vegetarian. He can say he only purchases vegetarian food but it's not all he eats, even if it is all he buys.



Pretty simple concept, no?
DoveInGrey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off