BBC3 program kill it, cook it eat it - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/kill_it/

What do you think of this? The show will show the animal's life and trip to the slaughterhouse. They will actually show the slaughtering. I was hoping this would open people's eyes to what happens to an animal. But then it said they will cook and eat the animal which made me sad.

I do think omnis need to have their eyes opened as to where food comes from. But I wonder is this the way to do it. I guess many more omnis might be willing to watch a BBC show rather than Meat your meat but if it ends with the animal on the table does it really help?

I also noticed that it said a small slaughterhouse not a big comercial one so I suppose it is going to show it in a more "humane" way (which compared to a mass producing slaughterhouse probably will be but it still ends the same way)but I feel that will give omnis the wrong impression as to what it it really like.

I can't decide if I am upset at this because I feel it will not portray suffering and death acurately or am I pleased that omnis will be forced to think about the origins of their food.

What do you think?

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw an ad for it. At first I liked the idea from the ad (for those who haven't seen it, it is a chicken on the table, which grows back feathers and un-kills itself back into a real chicken, and asks 'do you know where your meat comes from?') because I thought it might work as a kind of expose. But I am really put off by the title. Has it aired yet? It might be worth a watch.

PS: your new avatar but old title gave me a laugh!
#3 Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah. ha ha--I noticed that and had to go back and quickly edit that. I wouldn't mind looking like a Heather spider though--they are cute and pink with a heart shaped butt. What more could you want?

I don't think it has aired yet. People at work were decribing the ad about the dead to alive chicken but I haven't seen as we don't own a tv. I am put off by the title as well. And sad it has to end with eat it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I looked it up. It will be on on monday. If I remember, I will watch it (or as much of it as I can deal with ).
#5 Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm also wondering if the "farm" the animals are taken from will be a regular factory farm, or a small farm where the animals live more freely, giving the illusion that all animals who get used for meat live a fairly good life before being murdered.

Anyway I will probably watch this, I'm hoping to convince my mother to watch it with me too.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#6 Old 03-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel you are probably right--it will mislead omnis by showing a small free range farm and a small slaughterhouse and they will say "gee, that's not too bad." Missing the fact completely that no matter the animal lived, it still had to be killed.

Let me know those who watch if you think it shows things accurately. We don't own a tv so I'll be interested to hear what people say.

#7 Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

It appears that it's actually going to be several programs. I wonder if they'll all be a small farms, etc. I'd suspect that the large farms may not have given permission for filming. I'm interesting in what it says, but I'm not sure I can handle something like that. I had to close my eyes in Babel when they killed the chicken. Ugh.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 03-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

That's interesting. I can't imagine this being shown on American network TV. Europeans seem more likely to face up to the reality of how food gets to the table, whereas Americans prefer to deny and pretend.

I think that if someone thinks they need to eat animals, they should be able to watch the process that gets meat to their plates. Otherwise, they really have no business supporting it. Perhaps this will help some people reach the conclusion that yes, this is wrong.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#9 Old 03-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=peace]That's interesting. I can't imagine this being shown on American network TV. Europeans seem more likely to face up to the reality of how food gets to the table, whereas Americans prefer to deny and pretend. QUOTE]

True.
#10 Old 03-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
That's interesting. I can't imagine this being shown on American network TV. Europeans seem more likely to face up to the reality of how food gets to the table, whereas Americans prefer to deny and pretend.

True.
#11 Old 03-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Beginner

I agree, Spider.

It makes me annoyed when progs like this are broadcast, that they will show a censored, soft version - they would never broadcast something like MYM. WHY not?

Grrr....... Why are people shielded from the truth?!?! I was excited about this prgram when I heard about it on the radio, although was miffed to find out it was on BBC3... Which I don't have

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
#12 Old 03-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

And you base this on what? A plethora of these programs on European television? Oh, wait.

Quote:
Otherwise, they really have no business supporting it.

Why?
#13 Old 03-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I think that if someone thinks they need to eat animals, they should be able to watch the process that gets meat to their plates. Otherwise, they really have no business supporting it. Perhaps this will help some people reach the conclusion that yes, this is wrong.

Agreed, agreed, agreed...

That would help clear up many misconceptions, and allow people to see what really happens... before thinking it's OK just because they don't have to do it.

#14 Old 03-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Beginner

Just watched a small clip of that from the website...

"the animals are kept as stress free as possible"

"British slaughterhouses operate on a humane killing process"

argh.....I can already sense this is going to be notbing like reality. Why not have hidden cameras or something? Do you really think you are going to get an accurate perception of what it is like when the slaughterhouse KNOWS you're coming?

*sigh*.....

#15 Old 03-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Somehow I knew that line was going to get a response.

No, I based it on the laws "across the pond" that address some of the crueler practices of factory farming (like veal and gestation crates), while I have trouble imagining the ethics of pig crates being seriously debated in Congress. Before we make any sweeping changes in how animals are raised, we first must be willing to face and learn about the specifics.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#16 Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:

No kidding. Why can we have ads on TV with animal flesh, but not ads showing the torture and slaughter? Hmmmmm???

Quote:

Hee hee. Forget that! If they want animals on their plate, they should have to kill and "process" them themselves. That should take care of most meat eaters lickedy split!
#17 Old 03-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthebirds View Post

Hee hee. Forget that! If they want animals on their plate, they should have to kill and "process" them themselves. That should take care of most meat eaters lickedy split!

Really? So you believe humans didn't eat meat until someone else processed it for them?

Oh, wait. They did.
#18 Old 03-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Beginner

I've seen the adverts for this and will be watching it.

For those wondering whether people watching animals raised/kill on small farms and in small slaughterhouses would lead to more people becoming vegetarian...well it certainly had an effect on me. One of the things that led to me becoming vegetarian was seeing turkeys and pigs slaughtered on Gordon Ramseys F-word programme. He'd raised these animals in his own back garden and they appeared to be well looked after. This wasn't mass produced/mass slaughtered meat at all. But seeing those animals being killed on TV got to me...it's stuck with me and combined with a little further reading and thinking I became vegetarian.

So these kind of programmes have affected at least one person out there!
#19 Old 03-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Really? So you believe humans didn't eat meat until someone else processed it for them?

Oh, wait. They did.

I can't imagine someone like my mother killing her own cow for dinner.

Men were hunter/gatherers in the beginning [and yes, many men do still hunt], but I can't imagine very many women running around killing pigs and cows and turkeys.

I think forcing people to do it themselves would significantly reduce how many meat-eaters there were. My fiancé does not hunt, and would more than likely give up meat if he were told he had to do the killing and processing himself.

As the eyes of the world open, change ensues.

You're awfully pessimistic.
#20 Old 03-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I am also interested in hearing about this program. Living in America, I can't view this show, so I'd like to get the insight on it.
#21 Old 03-05-2007, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=HandcuffedAngel]I can't imagine someone like my mother killing her own cow for dinner.

Men were hunter/gatherers in the beginning [and yes, many men do still hunt], but I can't imagine very many women running around killing pigs and cows and turkeys.QUOTE]

My mum used to have to "ring the chicken's neck" to break it and then chop it's head off and help my gramma with plucking the feathers and preparing it. But that was 50 years ago.

I hope people's eyes are opened. I do think if people still had to kill and prepare their own meat many would find it revolting and choose not to eat it. It is easy to buy sanitised meat wrapped in plastic and not think of where it comes from.

#22 Old 03-05-2007, 09:00 AM

I've been keeping an eye on this programme since I heard about it and there have been quite a few newspaper articles about it as well. From what I can gather it's a very small farm/slaughterhouse/restaurant all on one site. So although it is forcing people to acknowledge that beef = cow and pork = pig it isn't actually showing what the larger more commercial slaughterhouses are like.

BUT

That's not what it's trying to do. It's not (as far as I can tell) pretending that all animals are traeted this well before they are killed. It's not trying to be a MYM or anything like that. And if it was, the chances are that many people would turn off and not get any of the knowledge/empathy at all. Like when you desensitise to a horror film. Softly softly catchy monkey. There's no point preaching when there's no-one to preach to - so why not 'entertain and inform' instead, and let people search out the rest for themselves.

The guests that eat at the restaurant afterwards are hard-core veggies, hard-core meat-eaters etc etc. It should be interesting discussion. Apparently, they are pre-warned that the meat is really rubbery. This is because rigor-mortis has not set in yet.
#23 Old 03-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm interested in the programme but I don't think I could bring myself to watch it. I'd be interested to hear the 'results' afterwards but I'm a bit pessimistic about it...I read a review (it must have taken place already I think but not been shown yet) which mentioned one person who had been thinking of going veggie already, but after she tried the meat she still wasn't sure even after seeing the living animal killed in front of her.

It's frustrating how people's enjoyment of the taste of meat can often be stronger to them than any AR point of view! I have had two people say to me today 'I could never be completely veggie (one who is trying to go pescarian)' because they love the taste of meat. Grr.
#24 Old 03-05-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapower View Post

It's frustrating how people's enjoyment of the taste of meat can often be stronger to them than any AR point of view! I have had two people say to me today 'I could never be completely veggie (one who is trying to go pescarian)' because they love the taste of meat. Grr.

Unfortunately it's a question of value. And they place more value on their enjoyment of meat than they do on the suffering of animals.
#25 Old 03-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

I can't imagine someone like my mother killing her own cow for dinner.

Men were hunter/gatherers in the beginning [and yes, many men do still hunt], but I can't imagine very many women running around killing pigs and cows and turkeys.

I think forcing people to do it themselves would significantly reduce how many meat-eaters there were. My fiancé does not hunt, and would more than likely give up meat if he were told he had to do the killing and processing himself.

As the eyes of the world open, change ensues.

You're awfully pessimistic.

Perhaps not. You and Peace aren't the first to argue that omnis would not eat meat if they had to kill the animal themselves, but I wonder. I often think that the reason I stopped eating fish 4 years after I stopped eating meat was because my immediate family fished, but didn't hunt. At the time, I had an aquarium, and eventually realized I care about fish too. If I hadn't been an aquarist, who knows how long it would have taken me to go vegetarian?

I honestly think that the act of killing one's own food might prod some people to go vegetarian, yes, but it desensitizes even more people to the idea of killing to eat. I'm optimistic that ethical vegetarianism will become increasingly popular- but not because of programs like "Kill It, Cook It".

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#26 Old 03-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Yeah, 'cause I'm that dumb...

How many people do YOU know that do that today? Even most hunters take the animals to a butcher.

It would be an interesting undertaking to see how quickly humans would resort back into base instincts if forced to. But since modern society at this current point in time has many alternatives, which don't involve the use of animals at all, it seems highly unlikely that most people would choose to hunt/raise, kill and process their own animals if there are much more pleasant alternatives available. Which there are!
#27 Old 03-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthebirds View Post

Yeah, 'cause I'm that dumb...

I didn't say it.

Quote:

How many people do YOU know that do that today? Even most hunters take the animals to a butcher.

A few. Of course, not many live on farms now, do they?

Quote:

It would be an interesting undertaking to see how quickly humans would resort back into base instincts if forced to. But since modern society at this current point in time has many alternatives, which don't involve the use of animals at all, it seems highly unlikely that most people would choose to hunt/raise, kill and process their own animals if there are much more pleasant alternatives available. Which there are!

Would the shift (if there was any) be because of the alternatives, or because most people aren't in a position to hunt or raise their own meat? Among those that do live in these circumstances, why do you find few vegetarians? How many vegans do you see in a rural setting? That is why the assumption so many have that if people knew/were more involved in meat production they would give meat up is foolish.
#28 Old 03-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

Both of my grandmothers butchered chickens. M mother did it a few times when she was young. Just a part of life.

Quote:

Really. So why wasn't vegetarianism more widespread when life was more rural and people were more likely to be directly involved in meat production?
#29 Old 03-06-2007, 02:33 AM

So did anyone see the programme?

I was disgusted. It practically came across as a British beef infomercial
#30 Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Both of my grandmothers butchered chickens. M mother did it a few times when she was young. Just a part of life.

But, don't you think that many folks now are sheltered from that part of the process. That not all, but some would discontinue eating meat if they had to kill/prepare it themselves? I'd take that bet. I know folks who can't bring themselves to buy certain kinds of meat, or chicken breasts, etc. The same gals have not trouble eating it though.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page