Why all cats should be kept inside - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 12-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I've had friends who had cats that habitually pee in the same spot leaving brown holes that needed to be "repaired". Who should pay for this?

Kind of a side note but maybe everyone doesn't need to be obsessed with having a green lawn. Let the grass be grass and if there is a brown spot, so be it. But then again I know everyone has their things they like a certain way and if it is your grass then, so be it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 12-26-2006, 01:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snownose View Post

So just because there are some rapists and murderers outside, all children should be locked indoors and left to rot in front of the tv?

Yes, young children should not be allowed to wander outside without a guardian supervision. Must we really repeat these same arguments again. Cats are not humans, they can't be taught the importance of looking both ways before letting a murderer give you candy.
#63 Old 12-26-2006, 01:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtletheturtle View Post

luckily i live in d countryside and my pets are safe outside were they can b free, all they have to worry about is cars, which arent always good! r.i.p simba at least the person was decent enough to care.

You are saying that your pets are safe outside where they can be free in the same sentence that you say your cat was run over by a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 12-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I have four cats, two are indoor cats, two are indoor/outdoor. One really good reason I can think of as to why all should be indoor cats....

My psycho neighbor cat....This cat comes into my yard, comes onto my back porch, terrorizes my two outdoor cats, terrorizes me....I try and shoo him away and he literally attacks me instead of running away! About a week ago he attacked my Thor leaving a gash on his head which got infected causing his face and eyes to swell. Psycho neighbor cat then proceeded to attack me drawing blood through my jeans and socks! Luckily I had cat antibiotics which I gave to Thor and he recovered nicely. So, in the future I will try and make any future cats indoor cats as long as they are happy being so. It has been my experience that some cats just do not want to be confined to indoors. I have tried but they were always desperate to go out, with the exception of the other two that I have. They are both very content and have no interest in going outside.
#65 Old 12-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

No you dont, and I apologize for not reading all of the thread before I made that comment. Sorry! I have a bad habit of replying to something on page one or two before reading on.

actually, rereading my own post, i can see my response was well out of line.

i'm really sorry for being so snappy at you.
#66 Old 12-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

Kind of a side note but maybe everyone doesn't need to be obsessed with having a green lawn. Let the grass be grass and if there is a brown spot, so be it. But then again I know everyone has their things they like a certain way and if it is your grass then, so be it.

I agree. I would rather live some place where it would be acceptable to keep the property in a manner consistent with the natural flora and fauna. But there are many communities in US Suburbia Hell where I am at the moment that dictate community conformity and standards - including a patch of "lawn" kept healthy and cut.

Personally the cat pee is low on my list of many reasons for keeping cats from roaming unsupervised - in my location. Unsupervised being the operative word...
#67 Old 12-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthebirds View Post

I agree. I would rather live some place where it would be acceptable to keep the property in a manner consistent with the natural flora and fauna. But there are many communities in US Suburbia Hell where I am at the moment that dictate community conformity and standards - including a patch of "lawn" kept healthy and cut.

Ugh, I hate that too! I don't think I could live in a neighborhood like that. Although, they seem to be popping up everywhere so soon we may not have much choice.
#68 Old 12-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Banned

I used to be a huge advocate of cats being indoor/outdoor, until, my cat went MIA about a week before Easter.

Not knowing what happened to her, is still driving me nuts.

My next cat will be an indoor cat.
#69 Old 12-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Ive never had indoor only cats. I live in a scandinavian country, and most people here havent heard of indoor cats. So I havent considered it..My cats have always been happy and healthy being inside and outside. My cat now, Arnold, only stays in our garden or neighbours garden, everytime I open the window and whistle he comes running.

Maybe If I were to live in the city I would have an indoor cat.
#70 Old 12-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Cats are not humans, they can't be taught the importance of looking both ways before letting a murderer give you candy.

!!! Way to mix a metaphor, KP!

My cat de-clawed thanks to her previous owners so we keep her indoors. I think it would be cruel to let her outside to roam when she has "nothing" to help her defend herself (I've heard that cats can still defend themselves with their back claws, but the front ones are the ones they use/need the most). She does love going out when we have her on her harness and leash but when she's ready, she heads for the door and asks to go inside again. Otherwise, she loves the window open so she can smell the air. That, to her is as close as she wants to be to the great outdoors.

In the area I live in, roaming cats are in danger of being eaten by mountain lions, torn up or killed by raccoons, run over by cars, injured by dogs and poisoned by people that hate cats - never mind the diseases that she might pick up while outside. To me, "abusing" her by keeping her indoors is a far less cruel option than letting her run free.

Of course, each situation is different as is each cat, but for this cat in this situation, it's indoors all the way.
#71 Old 12-30-2006, 09:29 AM

Any thoughts on the songbirds killed by cats, both house and feral types?

Cats are native to only a small part of the planet. Letting them run free in say the rural or suburban US is contributing to the decline of many bird and small mammal species.

I have a cat (a stray I rescued) and he lives in a section of my barn with a large yard (400 sq. ft.) to wander in. Sometimes he kills birds (a habit he learned very well as a stray) but he can only do that if they come into his pen. Also, if I let him wander around the property he is in danger of being eaten by foxes or other predators or worse being killed by cat-hating neighbors. As it is he is 11 years old now and still healthy. I take him for walks on a leash.
#72 Old 01-09-2007, 05:37 AM

what? not ALL cats should be kept inside. i agree it depends on the location and what the cat is happy with. i live in a safe area not busy, quiet, hardly any cars on the road, no lunies lurking around, actualy the whole place is filled with cat lovers. and i'm lucky that my cat is terrified of strangers. whenever we have visitors he hides under the bed and comes out long after they left i usualy have to bribe him with food his always been a shy little kitty. and he stays well away from the road and cars his also scared of cars so i'd say his pretty safe. if i forced him to be inside he'd be misrable. he goes outside to play and have fun and inside to sleep and eat. if the cat is happy being indoors and your area is dangerous then yes but if the area is safe and the cat would hate to be indoors all the time then no.

i think its cruel to keep your cat inside at ALL times IF they would enjoy going outside. they need their fresh air and need to feel the sunlight and play on the grass all things natural. if you're going to make your cat an indoor cat atleast let it out supervised. imo they have the most fun outdoors. but i live in australia so i don't know how its like in america or other places in the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page