Veggie Regular

My experience with outdoor cats:

Fun playing in trees

Chasing me around the lawn

Playing with the weeds as I throw them out of the garden

Sleeping in the sun by the side of the house

Walking along the top of the fence line

Darting across the deck after nothing in particular

I don't mean to mock you forthebirds. I'm just trying to emphasise the point again that it depends on your location. I don't know anyone who keeps their cats nside in NZ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

If I bought a cat I would keep it inside, but I would not buy a cat.

The stray, however, does what he wants. This includes wandering about.
#33 Old 12-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

not too many people around who are looking to steal a pair of slightly overweight middle aged non pedigree cats.

Here in the states they aren't always taken because they are a breed. Animal testing labs pay people who "donate" animals to their labs. Where I used to live in Indiana there was a big problem of dogs and cats being stolen (the dogs out of fenced yards sometimes) so people could sell them to labs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

If you have a house, a cat walk is a really good fairly inexpensive addition for a DYI. It is a small screened in porch exclusively for cats, generally accessable from an opened window or cat door. Cat leads and outdoor portable cat walks are a good choice for people who dont have houses they can add on to. There are also mountable cage-perches for cats.

I think building on a cat run is a great idea. When hubby and I own a house we will probably do something like that for our cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 12-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

My parents' cats are outdoor cats. They grew up in a small town where it was as safe outside for cats as it is for kids. When they moved to a larger town with a cat bylaw, they built a cat run around the edge of the house. It let the cats get outside and smell the fresh air and frolic as they were used to without letting them run around and get into trouble.
#35 Old 12-23-2006, 12:16 PM

heh i just saw your signature, medesha
#36 Old 12-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Well hey, anyone who listens to Garbage is quoteworthy in my book.

Ok, not anyone, but certainly you.
#37 Old 12-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

If cats should be allowed to roam as they wish, shouldn't dogs too? But where I come from, that's illegal. Are their interests in freedom different?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#38 Old 12-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Cats are more territorial than dogs and are less likely to run off.

Cats have less impact on the neighborhood than dogs (they're smaller, don't dig as much, don't roam as far, are less likely to be aggressive to humans, leave smaller droppings, etc.)

Nec Aspera Terrent
#39 Old 12-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Comments like this make me sick. This comment IS sick. Spare your sympathy and outrage for the animals that need it, not the ones whose parents love them and protect them.

firstly, i apologise for hurting your feelings.

i said what i said because of what i see around me everyday. where i am (London, England), people let their cats out. during the daytime in particular, there are literally hundreds of cats (all with their neat collars - i've hardly ever seen a stray) walking the streets alongside humans.

everyone i know who looks after a cat lets him/her out when they aren't around.

the attitide most people have around here is the same as what i said in my post - keeping a cat inside all the time is abusive. it's unheard of.

growing up around this sort of environment, i assumed it was like this everywhere. now i know i was mistaken.

also, i live in a converted flat and there is a cat - Tigger - who lives upstairs who is always allowed out when his caretakers are away. i've never known of him to do any of the things in forthebirds' post. Tigger has never gone very far from home and knows how to get back (i know this because he runs about a hundred miles an hour if he sees someone opening the front door and he wants to go back inside).

as a final thought, i never imagined cats were in such a danger in America.

i could never have imagined that people steal other people's pets to donate them to animal testing labs. i'm now starting to realise why people say Britain is a pet-loving country.
#40 Old 12-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I think my cats are afraid to go outside. They have been indoor cats their whole lives. I carried them outside once on the balcony and they didn't like it. They do love to sit in the window and watch leaves and birds and what have you. They will also lay in sun spots when the sun comes in the windows.

I live in too busy an area to let my cats out. I want my kitties alive not fattened fuzzballs on the street.

When I was young we had an indoor/outdoor kitty that was a stray that came to our door, she went in and out during most of the times of the year and lived to 18 years old. Sometimes she would come home with sap in her fur or a scratch from fighting with the cat up the street. Other than that she did good (Except once my dad found her hanging by her collar in the neighbors tree! She keep loosing the collar all the time!).

She was a pretty tough kitty - she would hiss and puff up at any dogs that walked by our house and the dogs were afraid of her - even though she was a tiny little thing! We lived in an area where not many cars went by so it was never a problem - I don't think I would do it today though. Lots more cars and congestion.
#41 Old 12-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Beginner

Where I live, letting a cat outside would be an extreme act of careless cruelty! I live in a busy neighborhood in a city complex. NO WAY! I do leash train my cats and give them window seats, etc, so they can enjoy fresh air, but I would *never* allow them to roam.
#42 Old 12-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Beginner

PS I have lived in the UK AND in the USA and I can so it is a different universe. I would be much more free with my pets in the UK than I am here. No dogs off leash here (laws for one!) etc
#43 Old 12-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

To the dog question: My ex dog was a free roaming dog. She hardly ever left my parents' one acre property. A free roaming dog would impossible here where I am. Many people let their cats roam. Which is fun for me because I get to cuddle them. Most of the cats stay around their home turf, occasionally crossing the road. I'd estimate that 1/3 keep indoors cats.

I've been in areas of Canada where the wide open spaces would amke a free roaming dog, even a large one practical.

I was at this place where there were a bunch of outdoors only cats. There was a barn they would go in during the winter and a cathouse. I first thought the people were some kind of animal hoarders, but it was all cats other people abandoned. One day they said this pregnant cat showed up on their doorstep. I guess they fed her and felt sorry for her sitting on their cold doorstep so they built a cathouse. When I was there, they were finding new homes fo her kittens.

When I think of places like this, I get even of a chuckle from people making these generalized statements about the dangers of outdoor cats.
#44 Old 12-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyfugle View Post

quite a few of these sroriesare about humans abusing cats... something which i like to think is rare.

but personally i think it's just as abusive to keep an animal trapped up inside at all times.

Ugh that drives me absolutely mad. My cat has lived inside his whole life. There is nothing "abusive" about his life. He is happy healthy and very loved. I find that personally insulting, as "abuse" is a word I take VERY seriously. He lives a great life, Im jealous of him!
#45 Old 12-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

My cat is a very happy indoor/outdoor cat. He meows to go out, we let him out. He meows to come in, we let him in. We have moved 6 times since he has been with us, and he always adjusts amazingly well to his new surroundings. He knows he belongs with us.

In the first few months that he lived with me, as a kitten, he would run circles around the house and meow at the window and stare longingly outside all the time. Once I started letting him out, he was so happy. He would run as fast as he could across the grassy area of our apartment complex, and then run back again! I loved seeing him so happy. And whenever I go outside for a walk, he will stay with me for a couple of blocks and then stop when I go too far. He knows not to go too far from home. And for the length that he does follow me, he does it in a "sneaky" way, darting from one bush to the other.

I don't think most cats are terribly destructive to their environments. A dog will poop right on the grass and then walk away. A cat will find a corner of dirt (behind a bush or something), dig a hole, poop, and cover it up.

I know that a lot of people are against letting cats roam freely outside. But I know my cat, I know he can handle it, and in my heart I know it's the right decision for us. Please, let's remove any talk of abuse from this thread! I think we are all loving cat owners even though we make different decisions. We do what we feel is best. None of us are abusive to our kitties!
#46 Old 12-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

If cats should be allowed to roam as they wish, shouldn't dogs too? But where I come from, that's illegal. Are their interests in freedom different?

Simply speaking, Yes, their interests in freedom are different.
#47 Old 12-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't feel like getting into this Hot Button Debate yet again, but some of these comments are ridiculous. Someone actually said an argument for keeping cats indoor is that they'll pee on your grass? Boo****inghoo, so do birds and rabbits and homeless vagrants.

It's ALL a matter of perspective and I'm growing tired of people who think the only right way is their way. My cats are indoor-only for a variety of reasons, but someone else might come to a completely different conclusion. It says a LOT to me that 50% of people feel it's bad to keep a cat indoors all the time and 50% of people feel it's bad to let a cat go outdoors at all.

Maybe...it depends...
#48 Old 12-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Maybe...it depends...

That's crazy talk, there is only one solution which will fit every cat and every owner, duh.
#49 Old 12-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

Ugh that drives me absolutely mad. My cat has lived inside his whole life. There is nothing "abusive" about his life. He is happy healthy and very loved. I find that personally insulting, as "abuse" is a word I take VERY seriously. He lives a great life, Im jealous of him!

i wrote a whole post in which i accepted i was wrong and an apology to go with it.

what more do you people want???

sorry, but i've already explained myself now. i don't feel i need to do it again.
#50 Old 12-24-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

Well hey, anyone who listens to Garbage is quoteworthy in my book.

Ok, not anyone, but certainly you.

I CANNOT wait for the new album/tour *crosses fingers shirleymanson
#51 Old 12-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i wrote a whole post in which i accepted i was wrong and an apology to go with it.

Your first born.

#52 Old 12-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Your first born.

As a real punishment, she will get MY firstborn.
#53 Old 12-25-2006, 05:59 PM

luckily i live in d countryside and my pets are safe outside were they can b free, all they have to worry about is cars, which arent always good! r.i.p simba at least the person was decent enough to care.
#54 Old 12-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

My parents dog is never locked up. They live in the country and Tali has shown such reluctance to leave the section during the last few years that there'd be no point in tying her up or restricting her to a kennel. In fact she doesn't even have a kennel anymore; when it's hot she sleeps outside where ever she likes and if it's cold she sleeps in the house. She gives a single bark during the night to indicate that she wants to either go out or come in and my parents get up and open the door for her.

She's pretty happy with this situation. There's a dirt path in the grass around their house because she does the same trek around the house multiple times every day and night to make sure everything's ok.
#55 Old 12-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

So just because there are some rapists and murderers outside, all children should be locked indoors and left to rot in front of the tv?
#56 Old 12-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

sorry, but i've already explained myself now. i don't feel i need to do it again.

No you dont, and I apologize for not reading all of the thread before I made that comment. Sorry! I have a bad habit of replying to something on page one or two before reading on.
#57 Old 12-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it is obvious from this thread that it all depends on where you live. Given a different location and living situation I might be keeping my cats outside.

I honestly don't think anyone here would do anything to intentionally harm their animals whether that means putting them inside or outside. I think everyone posting in this thread is very intelligent and caring and would never put their animals in a situation where they thought they might be harmed.

Given different situations I'm sure we could all change our minds on this issue at some point.
#58 Old 12-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I don't feel like getting into this Hot Button Debate yet again, but some of these comments are ridiculous. Someone actually said an argument for keeping cats indoor is that they'll pee on your grass? Boo****inghoo, so do birds and rabbits and homeless vagrants.

I happen to live in a community with a Homeowner's Association where we get fined if our lawns aren't kept a certain way. I've had friends who had cats that habitually pee in the same spot leaving brown holes that needed to be "repaired". Who should pay for this?

Most cats adapt just fine to indoor living. It's usually the owners that project the need for the cat to wander freely. It's one thing to allow a cat supervised or enclosed access to the outdoors, but it's quite a different matter when they are permitted to roam freely without a thought to potential consequences - to the cat, wildlife and neighbors.

Cats are domesticated animals bred intentionally for indoor life. When you take on the responsibility of caretaker the cat's actions, when not in your possession, are still your responsibility, whether you think it's a big deal or not.

I'm sure there are a few exceptions where cats can coexist peacefully wandering unsupervised. But even in very rural locations, I have witnessed horrible injuries to cats (from other cats, wildlife, etc.) allowed to do just that. So I don't think it's just a matter entirely of location, although free-roaming cats are certainly not appropriate in my area based on safety issues for the cats alone.
#59 Old 12-25-2006, 11:13 PM

cats were not bred or domesticated for living indoors or as companion animals( originally anyway.) cats were and still are used for pest control. they chose to hang around people because we are messy and create the conditions that keep kitty bellies full.

anyhoo, it does depend on where you live. indoor cats in Europe are unheard of.
#60 Old 12-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Europe is a pretty large area to make such statements about. Where I live (in a Scandinavian country) people don't find anything strange in indoor cats, except maybe in some of the less populated rural areas, and I know plenty of people who have them.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page