Puppy gnaws off baby's toes, police in La. say - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Puppy gnaws off baby's toes, police in La. say

Parents held on negligence charges

Mary Shannon Hansche, 22, and Christopher Wayne Hansche, 26, told police they woke to the baby's cries, found her mangled foot and took her to the hospital early Sunday.

Police said that they were sleeping on a mattress and that the month-old girl was in an infant seat beside them when the 6-week-old pit bull began chewing on her toes.

The rest, with a picture of the puppy: http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/...121306.article

More in depth article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061213/...us/baby_s_toes

Also, if you go to http://www.cnn.com in their little news video section, you can see a video on it. They show the parents and the puppy in the pound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

How could anyone sleep through that? Something isn't right here. Stupid people shouldn't breed.
#3 Old 12-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Another veterinarian, Dr. Valri Brown, said if the puppy chewed off the infant's toes, it would not have happened quickly. "It would have to be a period of time — maybe at least an hour," she said.

wtf?? and they were asleep right next to the baby?

something doesn't add up...

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Poor baby. The parents were probably on drugs.
#5 Old 12-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Poor baby, poor puppy, and poor pit bulls, the pro breed banners are going to love this.
#6 Old 12-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Poor baby. The parents were probably on drugs.

That was my first thought, drunk or high.
#7 Old 12-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Something isn't adding up for me either. When was the last time they fed the puppy? How out of it must they have been to sleep through their baby's screams, especially when the child was right next to them.

Methinks this couple is telling a couple of fibs.

Poor puppy will probably be put down, and the poor child will be scarred for life.
#8 Old 12-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

The puppy was way too young to be away from his mom.
#9 Old 12-15-2006, 07:02 PM

I hope they don't put the puppy down. It really didn't know what it was doing. Aggressive behavior isn't learned yet at that young age.
#10 Old 12-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

The puppy was way too young to be away from his mom.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Which is probably why the vet said the puppy was trying to nurse.

The parents were sleeping on a mattress and the baby sleeping in an infant seat. (is that a car seat?) hmm. I'm getting images of the house in trainspotting.
#11 Old 12-15-2006, 07:59 PM

I know puppies have REALLY sharp teeth, but there's just no way to sleep through something like that if they were right next to the baby. They were either on drugs, or not there when it happened. I hope they don't kill the puppy, and that the baby never goes back to those parents.
#12 Old 12-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Add me to the 'skeptical of their story' category.
#13 Old 12-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree that the story sounds fishy.... but....

Am I the only one who wouldn't want ANYTHING in my house that had the potential to do this to my child, no matter how it was treated? I don't like dogs and this story doesn't help one bit.
#14 Old 12-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

He was probably hungry.

What do you think would happen by keeping carnivorous predators in our homes? No matter how much we try to "domesticate" them, the instincts will still be there somewhere.

This is yet another reason to strive to end animal slavery.
#15 Old 12-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned

Troub, I highly doubt he was trying to eat the baby.
#16 Old 12-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Banned

yeah... i was always under the impression that puppies like to chew on things... hungry or not... thats just what they like to do- chew stuff. hence its not a smart idea to leave a puppy unsupervised around anything you don't want chewed, be it shoes, telephone cables, or babies toes.

i also find it hard to beleive that a normal baby wouldn't object to its toes being chewed on (maybe one with no pain sensitivity might not care, or one with no vocal cords might not scream, but randomness aside, the average baby on the street would definately be very vocal about its dislike of being gnawed on) and that any parent who was present and not passed out cold or completely hammered, might notice the screaming baby, and unless they were complete idiots or total arseholes, would swiftly intervene.
#17 Old 12-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that it was not ok to leave the baby unsupervised with the puppy - I don't leave my little one alone with my CATS, let alone a hungry puppy. But as for the baby being on the floor in an infant seat - for the first month or so, my baby would only sleep in an infant seat - or on me (not always practical). But we built a screen door to her room, and put the seat just on the other side of that to keep the cats out.
#18 Old 12-17-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post

I know puppies have REALLY sharp teeth, but there's just no way to sleep through something like that if they were right next to the baby. They were either on drugs, or not there when it happened. I hope they don't kill the puppy, and that the baby never goes back to those parents.

Exactly. You cant sleep through that, the baby would be SCREAMING.

I hope the puppy isn't killed, but I think it has someone wanting to adopt it? I think I read that on cnn the other day.
#19 Old 12-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I hope the puppy isn't killed, but I think it has someone wanting to adopt it? I think I read that on cnn the other day.

On the video they said there were lots of calls of people wanting to adopt the puppy. But they said they didn't know what they were going to do since its policy there not to adopt out pit bulls.

The puppy was really cute too.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#20 Old 12-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

Am I the only one who wouldn't want ANYTHING in my house that had the potential to do this to my child, no matter how it was treated? I don't like dogs and this story doesn't help one bit.

sigh.

ETA: I can assure you that dogs and kids can get along great. In this news story you have very unresponsible parents and a puppy that was weaned too early and not being supervised properly. It's unfortunate that people would use news stories like this to reinforce their own prejudices against animals, try and look past the stories involving idiot owners.
#21 Old 12-17-2006, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

He was probably hungry.

What do you think would happen by keeping carnivorous predators in our homes? No matter how much we try to "domesticate" them, the instincts will still be there somewhere.

This is yet another reason to strive to end animal slavery.

sigh X :junk: .... oye

You've made it no secret on this board that you dislike dogs, but please don't start making crap up. Dogs are not carnivorous predators and never have been even before they started hanging around humans; and you know damn well this 6 week old puppy was not trying to eat this baby.
#22 Old 12-17-2006, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Am I the only one who wouldn't want ANYTHING in my house that had the potential to do this to my child, no matter how it was treated?

I hope so: that's hysteria. Kinda reminds me of the attitude that any cats a family may have had have to be killed when a baby enters the picture.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#23 Old 12-17-2006, 05:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If you extrapolate from the story in this kind of way (i.e. disliking beings who have the potential to cause harm, especially to human children), it should make you dislike PEOPLE and dig in your fear/dislike of them if anything - it was the PEOPLE in the story who set this up and enabled it. They were the ones in control.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#24 Old 12-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

sigh.

ETA: I can assure you that dogs and kids can get along great. In this news story you have very unresponsible parents and a puppy that was weaned too early and not being supervised properly. It's unfortunate that people would use news stories like this to reinforce their own prejudices against animals, try and look past the stories involving idiot owners.

I agree with kpickell.

these were irresponsible unresponsible parents that should not even breed anyway, and an unsupervised puppy.

we have 3 dogs in my home, we had 4 at the time my first dd was born. they are all strays, we knew nothing of their background, but we are responsible dog owner who knew enough to train baby and dog to live together, my dogs LOVE my kids, who are now 6 and 3..........when my 6 yo was born my one dog sat faithfully beside her bassinet, coming to get me when she would wake and start to stir, ...........so dogs and kids do go together when you have the right mix of responsible owners and pups.
#25 Old 12-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

I'm getting images of the house in trainspotting.

Agreed. Notice in the story that there was no record of the puppy getting his shots? I wonder if the child had been immunized. These were clearly neglectful, messed up people who should not have a baby or a puppy. Unfortunately, some of the most unfit people have children and get pets.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#26 Old 12-17-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

sigh X :junk: .... oye

You've made it no secret on this board that you dislike dogs, but please don't start making crap up. Dogs are not carnivorous predators and never have been even before they started hanging around humans; and you know damn well this 6 week old puppy was not trying to eat this baby.

#27 Old 12-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

I'm not so alarmed by the fact that the adults were sleeping on the floor. Plently of people choose to sleep on the floor. (I used to sleep on a simple mat when I was little.)

However, I don't think and infant ever needs to be on the floor - - for this and other reasons.

What's the danger of sleeping on the floor (assuming that the floor is clear of hungry puppies)?
#28 Old 12-21-2006, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

A bit of an update:

Quote:
Mom blames ferret for chewing off baby's toes

POSTED: 7:27 p.m. EST, December 20, 2006

Story Highlights

• NEW: Jailed Louisiana parents of baby whose toes were gnawed off argue

• NEW: They are debating whether it was their pit bull or ferret who injured child

• Mary Hansche and Christopher Hansche's child in state custody

• They are charged with child desertion and criminal negligenc

BENTON, Louisiana (AP) -- A woman jailed after four of her infant daughter's toes were gnawed off says the family's pet ferret did it, not their pit bull pup as police had said.

But her husband blames the dog, a city official said.

"The way the bite marks were on her foot, the ferret being out of its cage, I knew it wasn't the dog," Mary Hansche told KTBS-TV on Tuesday.

The rest: http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/20/pi....ap/index.html
#29 Old 12-21-2006, 07:49 AM

these people need to go to jail, simply for being morons.
#30 Old 12-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

It's a sad day when you don't know if it was your puppy or your ferret that ate your baby's toes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page