Livestock major global warming gas factor - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I was really happy to see this reported on ABC's website.

Quote:
"Livestock's Long Shadow," says, "The livestock sector emerges as one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global."

"The findings of this report," it says, "suggest that it should be a major policy focus when dealing with problems of land degradation, climate change and air pollution, water shortage and water pollution, and loss of biodiversity."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2006, 03:39 PM

i was about to make a new thread about this....

here is the original report released by the food & agriculature organization of the UN: http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/...448/index.html

Quote:

With increased prosperity, people are consuming more meat and dairy products every year. Global meat production is projected to more than double from 229 million tonnes in 1999/2001 to 465 million tonnes in 2050, while milk output is set to climb from 580 to 1043 million tonnes.

although i eat no animal products and i don't/will never drive a car, it feels like it is pointless because everyone is just turning a blind eye and not going ANYTHING about global warming. okay, so, you bought LED lights because you saw the oprah episode with al gore...but come on, you are still driving your mini-vans, eating way too much meat, processed foods, creating a huge amount of waste that CAN be minimized....seriously, when will people open their eyes??

i am seriously terrified of what the earth (or what's left of it) will be like in fifty-odd years.
#3 Old 12-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I like that the article addressed how the meat industry is destroying the environment. I wish people would open their eyes to this. Unfortunately, at the end of the article when they mentioned what could be done to help this problem, they never recommended people cutting down on meat consumption or cutting it out altogether. But people will only do what is convenient for them and giving up meat is too hard for most people (well, they think it is).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah my local paper ran an editorial in addition to a story about the report where they suggested people should take a long hard look at their consumption of meat and the ethical (relating to the environment) implications. I was surprised and pleased.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page