Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15702642/ Big shock that......rolls eyes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Now they just need to write an article that says "This just in: Meat is bad for you!!"

*shocking news*

People commented on that article, and one comment was:

This is just further proof about the benefits of a vegan/vegetarian diet. In addition to being better for you physically, a vegetarian diet is a positive mental change as well. Imagine not worrying about the thought of death if you undercook your meals. Plus, it is very healthy for millions of animals who are not slaughtered and raised in inhumane conditions.

Yay team!
#3 Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Man... this reminds me, the other day a sorority on my campus did a "eat a breast, save a life" dinner, where you pay to have a fried chicken meal and your money goes to a breast cancer fund. I'd heard reports about the steroids, etc. in meat and dairy being linked to cancer before, and I just wanted to show up to the event and scream "why???" so bad! I really hope this kind of news ends up reaching the general public sooner than later ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's what I wrote as a comment on that web site (www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15702642):

Yet another study showing that meat is bad for your health (cancer, stroke, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, gout, etc.), something many of us already know but is important to hear again.

The meat industry also causes tremendous suffering for animals and tremendous destruction to the environment, even increasing global warming.

Stick with lots of fruits and veggies, grains and beans, nuts and seeds, don't smoke and do some exercise, avoid chemicals and pollution as mjuch as possible, and you'll greatly increase your odds of a long, happy, healthy life for you and your family!

Please visit Eco-Eating at www.brook.com/veg
#5 Old 11-15-2006, 02:21 PM

Yes I know I'm new (hi, lol), but here's my thoughts on this.

I know no one who eats that much red meat a day. As we all know, anything in excess is dangerous, hell, too many bananas can give you potassium poisoning :P

I find these arguments can get tiresome sometimes. I am a believer in the fact that it is not necessarily the meat that is causing the cancer, but the way in which it is prepared. Deep fried in butter for example, is an artery clogging disaster waiting to happen. Blackened steak (yuck) is dangerous because the charred stuff acts as a carcinogen, same as with blackened toast (yuck).

Also, the definition of a portion of red meat is rather vague with this study. I have always believed a portion of anything is the size of your palm, approximately.

Anyways, just making a point that not everything is to be taken at face value, so to speak.
#6 Old 11-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks06 View Post

I know no one who eats that much red meat a day

I think the article said 1 1/2 servings of red meat a day. It is VERY easy to get that much considering what Americans' portion sizes are. A normal person probably eats 2-3 servings of red meat while considering it "one serving".
#7 Old 11-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks06 View Post

Yes I know I'm new (hi, lol), but here's my thoughts on this.

I know no one who eats that much red meat a day. As we all know, anything in excess is dangerous, hell, too many bananas can give you potassium poisoning :P

I find these arguments can get tiresome sometimes. I am a believer in the fact that it is not necessarily the meat that is causing the cancer, but the way in which it is prepared. Deep fried in butter for example, is an artery clogging disaster waiting to happen. Blackened steak (yuck) is dangerous because the charred stuff acts as a carcinogen, same as with blackened toast (yuck).

Also, the definition of a portion of red meat is rather vague with this study. I have always believed a portion of anything is the size of your palm, approximately.

Anyways, just making a point that not everything is to be taken at face value, so to speak.

YES! It's also genetics! My best friend, a vegan for 22 years died at age 51 from breast cancer.
#8 Old 11-19-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnybny91 View Post

I think the article said 1 1/2 servings of red meat a day. It is VERY easy to get that much considering what Americans' portion sizes are. A normal person probably eats 2-3 servings of red meat while considering it "one serving".

True true. I have heard that American serving sizes are large. But a portion can vary between different people. Like I said about what I consider a portion, for example. A lean piece of red meat about the size of my palm. However, my hands are wee, so someone with large hands would have a large sized portion. It can get terribly confusing, hehe.

Yes, there is a breast cancer that is genetic too, unfortunately for those women who have the gene.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page