Ben & Jerry's to buy eggs exclusively from free-range chickens - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 10-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,872
Quote:
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc. is changing its egg-buying policies to give hens a break.



The South Burlington-based ice cream maker will become the first national food manufacturer to require egg producers to allow their laying hens to live outside cages, the Humane Society of the United States and the company said.



It will take four years for Ben & Jerry's to change all its egg-buying practices, the company said.



The company agreed to the change after the Humane Society made an issue last month of the fact that Ben & Jerry's bought eggs from Michael Foods Inc., of Minnetonka, Minn., which couldn't guarantee its hens were being treated properly.



Full story...



http://www.kare11.com/news/national/...storyid=135433

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Michael is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 10-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned
 
bstutzma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,535
I went on a tour of the Ben and Jerry's factory back when my sister was going to school in Vermont (about 3 years ago). I asked on the tour if they used free range eggs, and they told me they couldn't, because there weren't enough suppliers available. So I didn't eat any of the ice cream (I was on a tour with family from Puerto Rico).



I, therefore, assume full responsibility for the fact that they now are going to use free-range eggs. ;-) They must have taken such pity on me, sitting ice cream-less in that sample room, that the wheels of change immediately began turning. You can begin the thank-yous now. ;-)
bstutzma is offline  
#3 Old 10-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jeezycreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,348
Free-range eggs you say? That sounds soy delicious to me.
jeezycreezy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Irizary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,749
Four years? Ben and Jerry should be crammed into cages so tight they can't turn around in, and kept in a dirty shed with 10,000 dying chickens, for the next four years while this lengthy switchover is happening. That's really lame.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Irizary is offline  
#5 Old 10-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
sunshinegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,037
That is so awesome! I still won't eat their ice cream, but if a big company like that can change over...they can pave the way for many other companies.
sunshinegal is offline  
#6 Old 10-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Ludi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,934
I guess all those emails we sent actually did some good. Now if they could actually make sure the hens are really given good lives (fat chance) that would be something more.
Ludi is offline  
#7 Old 10-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Four years? Ben and Jerry should be crammed into cages so tight they can't turn around in, and kept in a dirty shed with 10,000 dying chickens, for the next four years while this lengthy switchover is happening. That's really lame.



Agreed.
GhostUser is offline  
#8 Old 10-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular
 
BoricuaVeggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 476
I'll take Tofutti any day of the week.
BoricuaVeggie is offline  
#9 Old 10-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Beginner
 
Ravenfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 185
Too bad the "free-range" label doesn't really mean anything in regard to how the chickens are treated. And what about the milk they use?
Ravenfire is offline  
#10 Old 10-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Ravenfire..hit the nail on the head so to speak.
GhostUser is offline  
#11 Old 10-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

I went on a tour of the Ben and Jerry's factory back when my sister was going to school in Vermont (about 3 years ago). I asked on the tour if they used free range eggs, and they told me they couldn't, because there weren't enough suppliers available. So I didn't eat any of the ice cream (I was on a tour with family from Puerto Rico).



I, therefore, assume full responsibility for the fact that they now are going to use free-range eggs. ;-) They must have taken such pity on me, sitting ice cream-less in that sample room, that the wheels of change immediately began turning. You can begin the thank-yous now. ;-)

GhostUser is offline  
#12 Old 10-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tuffenoughtoroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 730
I will be raising free-ranged chickens for eggs and as pets this spring. I am excited. I already have a waiting list of people wanting to purchase eggs from me. Goes to show that there really is an increasing demand!
Tuffenoughtoroc is offline  
#13 Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular
 
troub's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,984
I wonder what the psycological impacts of stealing an egg from its mother are...



I know my old cockatiels sure did hate when I had to take their egg's... would fiercly protect them, and acted depressed afterwords. But options were limited... and this is yet another reason why I think animals in the home is a perversion of nature.



but i digress, this isn't the thread to discuss such matters.
troub is offline  
#14 Old 10-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Blue Plastic Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

I wonder what the psycological impacts of stealing an egg from its mother are...



It often depends on the breed of bird. Some can be very broody, others couldn't care less. Obviously the latter are used more often for laying hens.
Blue Plastic Straw is offline  
#15 Old 10-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
sunshinegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

I wonder what the psycological impacts of stealing an egg from its mother are...



I know my old cockatiels sure did hate when I had to take their egg's... would fiercly protect them, and acted depressed afterwords. But options were limited... and this is yet another reason why I think animals in the home is a perversion of nature.



but i digress, this isn't the thread to discuss such matters.



I think it depends on the bird. I had a cockatiel that would lay an egg and wouldn't know what to do with it. I would leave it in her cage and she would roll it around sometimes, but mostly ignore it. I would take it away and she just didn't care. Strange.
sunshinegal is offline  
#16 Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
truepeacenik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 393
^^ our cockatiels played Aussie rules football with theirs.



But if a company will change after the big buy out, that gives me hope for the food omnis have being less of a heinous thing. But for many years it will be a heinous thing.
truepeacenik is offline  
#17 Old 10-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Ludi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenoughtoroc View Post

I will be raising free-ranged chickens for eggs and as pets this spring. I am excited. I already have a waiting list of people wanting to purchase eggs from me. Goes to show that there really is an increasing demand!





I've raised chickens for many years, and recently decided NOT to go into production of them on a commercial basis. There's a thread about why in the Digging in the Dirt forum if you're interested. I'd be happy to give any advice I can.
Ludi is offline  
#18 Old 10-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular
 
sunshinegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post

^^ our cockatiels played Aussie rules football with theirs.



sunshinegal is offline  
#19 Old 10-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegal View Post

That is so awesome! I still won't eat their ice cream, but if a big company like that can change over...they can pave the way for many other companies.

Word.
kpickell is offline  
#20 Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
geronimango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Word.



Ok, you've really got to quit being so wordy.



Actually couldn't have said it better myself.
geronimango is offline  
#21 Old 10-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tuffenoughtoroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

I've raised chickens for many years, and recently decided NOT to go into production of them on a commercial basis. There's a thread about why in the Digging in the Dirt forum if you're interested. I'd be happy to give any advice I can.





Thanks. I'll look into it.
Tuffenoughtoroc is offline  
#22 Old 10-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tuffenoughtoroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 730
My main purpose for raising chickens is for pets. I don't intend to own a huge business with five hundred birds. I'm only getting 12. I also show chickens and educate people (especially kids) about them. I have a 6 year-old silkie chicken whom I love to death, and have shown for years. The children adore him and learn to respect these birds a lot more. I also rescued a commercial white turkey that I also show. Eggs are mainly for my own use and friends and family.



And by the way, I have also raised chickens for years and assure anyone unsure about taking eggs away from hens that it is not traumatic. The only thing that will upset them is pulling an egg away while they are still on it. Removing chicks on the other hand, is a different story.
Tuffenoughtoroc is offline  
#23 Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenfire View Post

Too bad the "free-range" label doesn't really mean anything in regard to how the chickens are treated. And what about the milk they use?







This is why I don't care much about them switching to "free-range."
GhostUser is offline  
#24 Old 10-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Irizary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

This is why I don't care much about them switching to "free-range."



Better yet, why don't they just reformulate and stop using eggs altogether? Soy Delicious shows that you don't need eggs to make an awesome ice cream.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Irizary is offline  
#25 Old 10-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Anyway!



I'd take Soy Delicious ANY day over Ben & Jerry's crap.
GhostUser is offline  
#26 Old 10-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tuffenoughtoroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 730
Does "rice cream" contain egg?
Tuffenoughtoroc is offline  
#27 Old 10-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenoughtoroc View Post

Does "rice cream" contain egg?



As in Rice Cream the brand?



It's egg-free.
GhostUser is offline  
#28 Old 10-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
troub's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Better yet, why don't they just reformulate and stop using eggs altogether? Soy Delicious shows that you don't need eggs to make an awesome ice cream.



also: its proof you don't need dairy or any animal products at all to make awesome ice cream.



plus soy delicious has fiber... its like practicly health food! llol
troub is offline  
#29 Old 10-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
sunshinegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,037
I would definitely eat Soy Delicious anyday over ice cream. It is a tasty health food!



My boyfriend has tried every flavor I buy and he thinks they are delicious too, but he still gets his ice cream. Stubborn men.
sunshinegal is offline  
#30 Old 10-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Ludi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,934
Tuffenough, I hope I didn't offend, I didn't know you had already raised chickens.



I have three Silkies, who are adorable.
Ludi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off