Ben & Jerry's to buy eggs exclusively from free-range chickens - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc. is changing its egg-buying policies to give hens a break.

The South Burlington-based ice cream maker will become the first national food manufacturer to require egg producers to allow their laying hens to live outside cages, the Humane Society of the United States and the company said.

It will take four years for Ben & Jerry's to change all its egg-buying practices, the company said.

The company agreed to the change after the Humane Society made an issue last month of the fact that Ben & Jerry's bought eggs from Michael Foods Inc., of Minnetonka, Minn., which couldn't guarantee its hens were being treated properly.

Full story...

http://www.kare11.com/news/national/...storyid=135433

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

I went on a tour of the Ben and Jerry's factory back when my sister was going to school in Vermont (about 3 years ago). I asked on the tour if they used free range eggs, and they told me they couldn't, because there weren't enough suppliers available. So I didn't eat any of the ice cream (I was on a tour with family from Puerto Rico).

I, therefore, assume full responsibility for the fact that they now are going to use free-range eggs. ;-) They must have taken such pity on me, sitting ice cream-less in that sample room, that the wheels of change immediately began turning. You can begin the thank-yous now. ;-)
#3 Old 10-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Free-range eggs you say? That sounds soy delicious to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Four years? Ben and Jerry should be crammed into cages so tight they can't turn around in, and kept in a dirty shed with 10,000 dying chickens, for the next four years while this lengthy switchover is happening. That's really lame.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 10-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

That is so awesome! I still won't eat their ice cream, but if a big company like that can change over...they can pave the way for many other companies.
#6 Old 10-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess all those emails we sent actually did some good. Now if they could actually make sure the hens are really given good lives (fat chance) that would be something more.
#7 Old 10-03-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Four years? Ben and Jerry should be crammed into cages so tight they can't turn around in, and kept in a dirty shed with 10,000 dying chickens, for the next four years while this lengthy switchover is happening. That's really lame.

Agreed.
#8 Old 10-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll take Tofutti any day of the week.
#9 Old 10-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Beginner

Too bad the "free-range" label doesn't really mean anything in regard to how the chickens are treated. And what about the milk they use?
#10 Old 10-07-2006, 11:01 PM

Ravenfire..hit the nail on the head so to speak.
#11 Old 10-07-2006, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

I went on a tour of the Ben and Jerry's factory back when my sister was going to school in Vermont (about 3 years ago). I asked on the tour if they used free range eggs, and they told me they couldn't, because there weren't enough suppliers available. So I didn't eat any of the ice cream (I was on a tour with family from Puerto Rico).

I, therefore, assume full responsibility for the fact that they now are going to use free-range eggs. ;-) They must have taken such pity on me, sitting ice cream-less in that sample room, that the wheels of change immediately began turning. You can begin the thank-yous now. ;-)

#12 Old 10-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I will be raising free-ranged chickens for eggs and as pets this spring. I am excited. I already have a waiting list of people wanting to purchase eggs from me. Goes to show that there really is an increasing demand!
#13 Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder what the psycological impacts of stealing an egg from its mother are...

I know my old cockatiels sure did hate when I had to take their egg's... would fiercly protect them, and acted depressed afterwords. But options were limited... and this is yet another reason why I think animals in the home is a perversion of nature.

but i digress, this isn't the thread to discuss such matters.
#14 Old 10-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

I wonder what the psycological impacts of stealing an egg from its mother are...

It often depends on the breed of bird. Some can be very broody, others couldn't care less. Obviously the latter are used more often for laying hens.
#15 Old 10-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

I know my old cockatiels sure did hate when I had to take their egg's... would fiercly protect them, and acted depressed afterwords. But options were limited... and this is yet another reason why I think animals in the home is a perversion of nature.

but i digress, this isn't the thread to discuss such matters.

I think it depends on the bird. I had a cockatiel that would lay an egg and wouldn't know what to do with it. I would leave it in her cage and she would roll it around sometimes, but mostly ignore it. I would take it away and she just didn't care. Strange.
#16 Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

^^ our cockatiels played Aussie rules football with theirs.

But if a company will change after the big buy out, that gives me hope for the food omnis have being less of a heinous thing. But for many years it will be a heinous thing.
#17 Old 10-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenoughtoroc View Post

I will be raising free-ranged chickens for eggs and as pets this spring. I am excited. I already have a waiting list of people wanting to purchase eggs from me. Goes to show that there really is an increasing demand!

I've raised chickens for many years, and recently decided NOT to go into production of them on a commercial basis. There's a thread about why in the Digging in the Dirt forum if you're interested. I'd be happy to give any advice I can.
#18 Old 10-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post

^^ our cockatiels played Aussie rules football with theirs.

#19 Old 10-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegal View Post

That is so awesome! I still won't eat their ice cream, but if a big company like that can change over...they can pave the way for many other companies.

Word.
#20 Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Word.

Ok, you've really got to quit being so wordy.

Actually couldn't have said it better myself.
#21 Old 10-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

I've raised chickens for many years, and recently decided NOT to go into production of them on a commercial basis. There's a thread about why in the Digging in the Dirt forum if you're interested. I'd be happy to give any advice I can.

Thanks. I'll look into it.
#22 Old 10-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

My main purpose for raising chickens is for pets. I don't intend to own a huge business with five hundred birds. I'm only getting 12. I also show chickens and educate people (especially kids) about them. I have a 6 year-old silkie chicken whom I love to death, and have shown for years. The children adore him and learn to respect these birds a lot more. I also rescued a commercial white turkey that I also show. Eggs are mainly for my own use and friends and family.

And by the way, I have also raised chickens for years and assure anyone unsure about taking eggs away from hens that it is not traumatic. The only thing that will upset them is pulling an egg away while they are still on it. Removing chicks on the other hand, is a different story.
#23 Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenfire View Post

Too bad the "free-range" label doesn't really mean anything in regard to how the chickens are treated. And what about the milk they use?

This is why I don't care much about them switching to "free-range."
#24 Old 10-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

This is why I don't care much about them switching to "free-range."

Better yet, why don't they just reformulate and stop using eggs altogether? Soy Delicious shows that you don't need eggs to make an awesome ice cream.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#25 Old 10-17-2006, 06:50 AM

Anyway!

I'd take Soy Delicious ANY day over Ben & Jerry's crap.
#26 Old 10-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Does "rice cream" contain egg?
#27 Old 10-18-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenoughtoroc View Post

Does "rice cream" contain egg?

As in Rice Cream the brand?

It's egg-free.
#28 Old 10-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Better yet, why don't they just reformulate and stop using eggs altogether? Soy Delicious shows that you don't need eggs to make an awesome ice cream.

also: its proof you don't need dairy or any animal products at all to make awesome ice cream.

plus soy delicious has fiber... its like practicly health food! llol
#29 Old 10-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I would definitely eat Soy Delicious anyday over ice cream. It is a tasty health food!

My boyfriend has tried every flavor I buy and he thinks they are delicious too, but he still gets his ice cream. Stubborn men.
#30 Old 10-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Tuffenough, I hope I didn't offend, I didn't know you had already raised chickens.

I have three Silkies, who are adorable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page