Concious Cows Slaughtered at Iowa Kosher Slaughterhouse - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

A little background.... Until I stopped eating animals I couldn't bare to look at Peta's website. I knew that if I looked at it I would have to radically change my lifestyle and I wasn't prepared to do that before. Now that I have changed my lifestyle I have ventured onto their site.

I saw the most disturbing video I have EVER seen. I was in tears watching it. There is a Kosher farm in Iowa that is slaughtering cows by first putting them in this terrible machine and slitting their throat and then tossing them out of the machine and watching them try to run away until they die. It is, obviously, religiously (kosher farm) and legally wrong to do this. It isn't humane in the very least and I hope they can get it stopped!

If you are brave enough to watch the video, or read the commentary, you can find it on Peta's main site. If you are in any position to do anything about this, please do. All slaughterhouses are terrible but this is just... I don't even know the word to describe it.

All of that just to get a few steaks and hamburgers................ How did I ever eat meat????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree , i get myself into tears when i watch those videos. I havent eaten meat in a very very long time ( decade), and every so often when i feel lazy and my resolve is down, i watch just to reinforce why i live this way, i dont know why i need to remind myself sometimes, i think because i live with an omni and when we eat out, its so easy for him and hard for me a lot of times.
#3 Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I just watched about a minute of that and had to stop, that is the worst i have ever seen, i wish every person in the meat aisle at the supermarket had to watch that first.

that is just beyond comprehension why they have to slaughter those beautiful animals in the first place let alone in that barbaric way. How in the world can anyone do that job either?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I know!! I was wondering how anyone could stand by and watch that. I don't know how the "investigator" watched it. I would be balling uncontrollably. Later in the video it shows a worker kicking blood into a cows face that is trying to get on its feet. How can you be so heartless? How can you idly sit by while the innocent suffer like that?

I guess I'm more than glad that I don't understand that way of thinking.
#5 Old 10-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonoluvr View Post

let alone in that barbaric way.

I agree. I saw something like that in Earthlings and I wept for days. Well, not really. But it was pretty effing horrible to watch. No WAY am I heading off to PeTA's website to see more.

What's interesting to note is that Kosher slaughter is actually done that way because of a religious belief that an animal must be killed with a single slice to the throat. No stunning first allowed. The idea is that an animal would die more quickly this way and, in theory, with minimal cruelty.

At least that was the idea however many years ago when the practice started.

What's sort of messed up is that agribusiness has stepped in and has tried to make the process efficient (ie. profitable) so they come up with the machine you mention, which is horrific, and while it's technically kosher, it's really not, if you catch my drift. I highly doubt that it's what the Jewish dudes who came up with the idea of kosher slaughter had in mind.

This might be of interest.

I clearly am no expert here. Hopefully someone who actually knows what they're talking about can elucidate.

Cheers!

TJ
#6 Old 10-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

I don't know how the "investigator" watched it.

The people who do this have my utmost respect.

Quote:

How can you idly sit by while the innocent suffer like that?

It would be hard. Of course it would.

But if you tried to do anything they'd kick you out in a millisecond.

The investigator will do more good sharing the information than they would trying to save a single animal. And if they made a stink it would likely make it even harder for any further investigation sort of thing.

Cheers!

TJ
#7 Old 10-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Beginner

Kosher or not, killing any living thing for food when there are viable alternatives is unjustifiable. There is no good way to slaughter.
#8 Old 10-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post

Kosher or not, killing any living thing for food when there are viable alternatives is unjustifiable. There is no good way to slaughter.

Agreed.
#9 Old 10-04-2006, 11:19 AM

The word kosher when used in this context really ticks me off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page