"Maine Mystery Beast Possibly Killed by Car". - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Link to full story and pictures.

Quote:
TURNER, Maine Residents are wondering if an animal found dead over the weekend may be the mysterious creature that has mauled dogs, frightened residents and been the subject of local legend for half a generation.

The animal was found near power lines along Route 4 on Saturday, apparently struck by a car while chasing a cat.

The carcass was photographed and inspected by several people who live in the area, but nobody is sure exactly what it is.

Michelle O'Donnell of Turner spotted the animal near her yard about a week before it was killed. She called it a "hybrid mutant of something."

"It was evil, evil looking. And it had a horrible stench I will never forget," she told the Sun Journal of Lewiston. "We locked eyes for a few seconds and then it took off. I've lived in Maine my whole life and I've never seen anything like it."

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-17-2006, 09:31 AM

i'm from maine. never heard of this. leave it to a bunch of rednecks to take an ellusive creature, playing a small but not unimportant role in their ecosystem, and call it a monster. people are far too guilty of naming evil when they see it through the corner of their eye. i think it's strartling to understand just how much this article reveals about people in this country. how long will it be until we stop naming everything we do not understand scary, monstrous, or evil?
#3 Old 08-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

It looks like a dog. I was thinking it'd be some other world looking critter. Bleh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancycle View Post

i'm from maine. never heard of this. leave it to a bunch of rednecks to take an ellusive creature, playing a small but not unimportant role in their ecosystem, and call it a monster. people are far too guilty of naming evil when they see it through the corner of their eye. i think it's strartling to understand just how much this article reveals about people in this country. how long will it be until we stop naming everything we do not understand scary, monstrous, or evil?

Possoms are evil.
#5 Old 08-17-2006, 09:36 AM

poor dog.
#6 Old 08-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

chupacabra? It looks like a dog to me and a lot of critters have glowing eyes when headlights shine in them at night. My kitty has red glowing eyes in the right light. glowing eyes doesn't mean evil silly people....lol
#7 Old 08-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

It doesn't look evil! Looks like any other dog to me, but the head is just different. No monster here.
#8 Old 08-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

It looks like a dog. Leave it to Fox News.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#9 Old 08-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Skylark hit the nail on the head. As if there are not enough news stories to cover, leave it to Fox to invent one. It's just a mixed breed dog of some sort. People are always looking to point their fingers. Pathetic. Poor pup.
#10 Old 08-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Banned

Looked like an Associated Press article to me.

"Maine Mystery Beast Possibly Killed by Car

Wednesday, August 16, 2006"
#11 Old 08-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

People need to keep an eye on their dogs to prevent them from being attacked by a wild animal or dog for that matter.
#12 Old 08-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the woman with the "evil smell" comment. Since when do the rotting carcasses of dead animals smell like angel wings?
#13 Old 08-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I love the woman with the "evil smell" comment. Since when do the rotting carcasses of dead animals smell like angel wings?

It wasn't dead when she spotted it.

"It was evil, evil looking. And it had a horrible stench I will never forget," she told the Sun Journal of Lewiston. "We locked eyes for a few seconds and then it took off. I've lived in Maine my whole life and I've never seen anything like it."
#14 Old 08-18-2006, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Very sad.
#15 Old 08-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Veggie Regular

That's an odd looking wolf-dog hybrid. Sad that the only photo they could show of it is the one of it dead on the side of the road. Geez.
#16 Old 08-18-2006, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

It wasn't dead when she spotted it.

Oh, that's right, I forgot about the taking off comment. OK, so I doubt anyone who gets sprayed by a skunk will ever forget that horrible stench, either. Does that makes skunks evil?

Marie, are you now my personal post corrector or what?

So what I'm wondering is if anyone is doing DNA tests on it to try to figure what exactly it is. I wonder if next week we're going to have a news report that this was the last known example of some type of "living fossil" species or something. Or that it's just an odd breed of dog.
#17 Old 08-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So what I'm wondering is if anyone is doing DNA tests on it to try to figure what exactly it is. I wonder if next week we're going to have a news report that this was the last known example of some type of "living fossil" species or something. Or that it's just an odd breed of dog.

I thought they article said they did do a DNA test and confirmed it was a wolf-dog hybrid? That's why I said it was a weird looking one.
#18 Old 08-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I thought they article said they did do a DNA test and confirmed it was a wolf-dog hybrid? That's why I said it was a weird looking one.

That statement seems to be referring to a previous case of an unknown animal, and it's not all that clear how similar the previous animal really was to this one. After re-reading the article more carefully, I see it says wildlife and animal control officials declined to examine the carcass of this one, and it was picked clean by vultures after a few days. That doesn't rule out DNA analysis, since it could still be done from the skeleton, but apparently they're not going to bother.

*sigh* I seem to be suffering from a severe lack of PA lately (Paying Attention). Luckily, I have Marie to follow me around and point out these lapses.
#19 Old 08-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

poor dog.

yeah, looks like a really odd dog to me, poor thing,
#20 Old 08-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, I misread it. Thanks Tess
#21 Old 08-18-2006, 02:26 PM

Turner Maine is about a 15minute drive from where i live.In my local paper today it said it was most likely a feral dog,probably a chow.
#22 Old 08-18-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancycle View Post

leave it to a bunch of rednecks

#23 Old 08-19-2006, 07:11 AM

It looked likd a dog to me poor dog
#24 Old 08-19-2006, 11:55 AM

I thought it looked like a puppy. Oh, the horror!

Why are they so sure this is the "mystery beast"? It could've been any random stray dog. Poor thing.
#25 Old 08-21-2006, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh, that's right, I forgot about the taking off comment. OK, so I doubt anyone who gets sprayed by a skunk will ever forget that horrible stench, either. Does that makes skunks evil?

Marie, are you now my personal post corrector or what?

Yes. Skunks are evil.

I don't have the attention span to be a personal post corrector so I'll just stick to random comments and corrections to random people.
#26 Old 08-25-2006, 11:31 AM

#27 Old 08-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Beginner

yeah, it just looks like a chow mix. what a bunch of morons...
#28 Old 08-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Open the door for your *sigh* Mystery Beast....

It seems no place on the map is happy until they have some kind of local legend about an otherwordly happening.

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page