Iditarod animal exploiter dies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/new...jalot00&src=ap

4-Time Iditarod Champ Susan Butcher Dies

Updated 11:05 PM ET August 5, 2006

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Four-time Iditarod champion Susan Butcher died Saturday in a Seattle hospital of complications from a recent bone marrow transplant, a hospital spokeswoman said. She was 51.

Butcher dominated the 1,100-mile sled dog race from Anchorage to Nome in the late 1980s. In 1986, she became the second woman to win the grueling race. She added victories in 1987, '88 and '90 and finished in the top four through 1993.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

#3 Old 08-06-2006, 11:02 AM

are we supposed to be happy? I want to make sure I follow the Vegan Code properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlie View Post

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/new...jalot00&src=ap

4-Time Iditarod Champ Susan Butcher Dies

Updated 11:05 PM ET August 5, 2006

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Four-time Iditarod champion Susan Butcher died Saturday in a Seattle hospital of complications from a recent bone marrow transplant, a hospital spokeswoman said. She was 51.

Butcher dominated the 1,100-mile sled dog race from Anchorage to Nome in the late 1980s. In 1986, she became the second woman to win the grueling race. She added victories in 1987, '88 and '90 and finished in the top four through 1993.

You consider this animal rights type news, huh?

And some of you people can't figure out why society disses you as nutters.
#5 Old 08-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Lovley, what are we supposed to do here?

Cheer?
#6 Old 08-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

are we supposed to be happy? I want to make sure I follow the Vegan Code properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrlin View Post

Lovley, what are we supposed to do here?

Cheer?

From what I've seen, Girlie doesn't respond to questions very often, but if you are wondering about the purpose of threads mentioning deaths of animal exploiters, you could always ask Michael.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 08-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Is that 'our' Michael'? Why is he 'blue'? I'm confused. He didn't even say anything, why was it assumed he was rejoicing?
#8 Old 08-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Beginner

I lived in Alaska for 10 years and was able to meet Susan Butcher on a couple occasions. I wouldn't call her an animal exploiter. She raced for her love of the Alaskan wilderness and for her love of dogs. These dogs are bred to run and pull. I have a sled dog. Running and pulling is all they want to do. Her dogs were happy, happy, happy, happy dogs.

Everyone I know in the lower 48 who has dogs that hang out in their backyards if the owner has one; if not, they're stuck in a house/apartment all day. They get to go on three 30 minute walks a day. I bet most of those dogs would give their right paws to have been one of Susan's dogs.

That's not a dog's life. Susan Butcher's dogs lived in packs and ran in packs and played in packs. They loved racing with her. I've seen these dogs several times.

So no, I don't think we should be happy she's dead. I think that's a bizarre thing to say. I, for one, am quite sad that such an amazing woman is gone.

It's absolutely true that several Iditarod racers are not good caretakers of their dogs, and they race for the media attention. Susan Butcher, however, was not one of these people. She was all about her dogs. She was very active in the Alaskan community in regards to education, animal welfare and training.
#9 Old 08-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

He didn't even say anything, why was it assumed he was rejoicing?

It was probably a reference to deleted posts by others.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#10 Old 08-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

You consider this animal rights type news, huh?

Considered an animal issue in the news. Like the forum title says.

Keep on freepin' on

#11 Old 08-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Is that 'our' Michael'? Why is he 'blue'? I'm confused. He didn't even say anything, why was it assumed he was rejoicing?

yes, that is our Michael. He's blue cuz he wants to be (he's the boss, he can be any color he wants... ) There were several posts deleted in that thread because they were "rejoicing", which was seen to be inappropriate. See Jen's post at the end....

Nec Aspera Terrent
#12 Old 08-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowthepig View Post

Considered an animal issue in the news. Like the forum title says.

How is the death of someone who used to race dogs an animal issue in the news?
#13 Old 08-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

How is the death of someone who used to race dogs an animal issue in the news?

Animal racing is an animal issue. AP is a traditional news outlet.

Keep on freepin' on

#14 Old 08-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoshire View Post

I lived in Alaska for 10 years and was able to meet Susan Butcher on a couple occasions. I wouldn't call her an animal exploiter. She raced for her love of the Alaskan wilderness and for her love of dogs. These dogs are bred to run and pull. I have a sled dog. Running and pulling is all they want to do. Her dogs were happy, happy, happy, happy dogs.

Everyone I know in the lower 48 who has dogs that hang out in their backyards if the owner has one; if not, they're stuck in a house/apartment all day. They get to go on three 30 minute walks a day. I bet most of those dogs would give their right paws to have been one of Susan's dogs.

That's not a dog's life. Susan Butcher's dogs lived in packs and ran in packs and played in packs. They loved racing with her. I've seen these dogs several times.

So no, I don't think we should be happy she's dead. I think that's a bizarre thing to say. I, for one, am quite sad that such an amazing woman is gone.

It's absolutely true that several Iditarod racers are not good caretakers of their dogs, and they race for the media attention. Susan Butcher, however, was not one of these people. She was all about her dogs. She was very active in the Alaskan community in regards to education, animal welfare and training.

Yeah, you can't hate everyone in a sport just because it's considered "evil." If she treated her dogs well and loved them and considered them her partners in the sport than I say rest in peace.
#15 Old 08-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

When it came time to find a marrow donor for her, over 1100 people turned out in a single day to be tested and put themselves on the National marrow donor registry.

We should all be so well thought of in our communities.
#16 Old 08-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So I assume you think PETA is incorrect in their claim:

Quote:
As for those "responsible" mushers, quite possibly the best Susan Butcher retired from the Iditarod when she learned that even she, often ridiculed by other mushers for "pampering" her dogs (i.e., talking to them kindly and letting them sleep indoors at night), drove a dog to death in the Iditarod race.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#17 Old 08-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Very well said. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page