Burger King posts loss - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Blurb in the local paper earlier this week:

Shares of Burger King plunge to their lowest level since the company's initial public offering in May. The world's No. 2 hamburger chain posts a fiscal fourth-quarter loss in its first earnings report since going public. Its shares fall $2.01 of 13.2 percent, to $13.24.

Keep up the good work!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's because of those damn commercials!
#3 Old 08-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Their initial public offering was in May of this year?

And who cares about a loss over the course of 2 months. That seems rather insignificant to me. But I guess now's a good time to buy BK stock. Speaking of Burger King though, I just ate there for lunch today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsWithFoxes View Post

Blurb in the local paper earlier this week:

Shares of Burger King plunge to their lowest level since the company's initial public offering in May. The world's No. 2 hamburger chain posts a fiscal fourth-quarter loss in its first earnings report since going public. Its shares fall $2.01 of 13.2 percent, to $13.24.

Keep up the good work!

What of the following are you calling "good work?"

"The company said a management termination fee related to its initial public offering in May and restructuring charges lowered results by $30 million. Adjusted to exclude one-time charges, the company had a profit of 21 cents per share, a company representative said, in line with average analyst estimates of 21 cents per share, according to a Thomson Financial poll.

Revenue gained 6 percent to $533 million, up from $503 million and in line with analyst estimates of $533.1 million.

Same-store sales, or sales in stores open at least one year, a widely used gauge of industry performance, grew 2 percent in the fourth quarter and 2.5 percent in the fiscal year in the U.S. and Canada. Worldwide same-store sales grew 1.7 percent in the quarter and 1.9 percent in the year."

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan...e_up%26chan=db

Seriously, I suggest you do some research and try and understand the information out there, rather than assuming some 3-sentence blurb you read tells you anything.

Thanks.

-The VB Truth Police
#5 Old 08-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned

a stock increased in value for a month or two after an IPO and then dropped to about the same price as the IPO a quarter later and you find this newsworthy?
#6 Old 08-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Complain. Complain. Complain. Whine. Whine. Whine. It's always nice to hear from the "glass is half-empty" crowd. Keep up the good work!
#7 Old 08-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsWithFoxes View Post

Complain. Complain. Complain. Whine. Whine. Whine. It's always nice to hear from the "glass is half-empty" crowd. Keep up the good work!

Half empty? Hell, the water has been drank and that glass is in the dishwasher.

I suggest you read the link I provided, and the reason for BK's loss. Unless you think someone here had to do with their capital expenditures, then I have no idea what you mean by "good work." Did you miss the part where their sales increased?
#8 Old 08-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Burger King has good veggie burgers.. good fries too. They're more veggie friendly than any other fast food place I've been to (with the possible exception of subway, which I don't like because of the funny smell that always eminates from them) and have been a lifesaver in the past when I've been travelling. I don't much like the commercials either, but they make a better effort than most to appeal to us as customers in the food they serve. A few commercials aren't going to stop me from eating there.
#9 Old 08-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

They're veggie burgers are cooked in the exact same place as the meat patties. So if you order a veggie burger from Burger King, expect to be consuming bits of animal parts along with it. They also cook all the burgers early in the morning and leave them to sit out. So now you're eating old, not fresh, veggie burger with pieces of cow. Blegh!
#10 Old 08-06-2006, 05:20 PM

I think Burger King's veggie burger practices might be different in Canada than in the US. I've been behind the counter at a BK here in Canada and they don't cook the burgers ahead of time. And if you want, you can ask them to cook the veggie patty in the microwave, avoiding all those beefy chunks.

I think the patties they use in Canada are Yves' brand. Or is that McDonalds? I can't remember. I don't like veggie burgers anyway :P Portobello mushroom burgers forever!
#11 Old 08-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

The American veggie burgers sold in America are Morningstar Farms brand. I know four people (one of which is a manager) that work at various Burger Kings and they tell me all about the icky stuff that goes on there. One actually tries his hardest to sabatoge the food.

Arainu, I do believe the burger preparations are mostly different in America (or at least in the midwest) than Canada. I wouldn't eat at Burger King even if my life depended on it!
#12 Old 08-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arainu View Post

I think Burger King's veggie burger practices might be different in Canada than in the US. I've been behind the counter at a BK here in Canada and they don't cook the burgers ahead of time. And if you want, you can ask them to cook the veggie patty in the microwave, avoiding all those beefy chunks.

I have never heard of them cooking the veggieburgers ahead of time. Doesn't make sense, as they would just be guessing about the number they will need that day.

I also know they will microwave them upon request.
#13 Old 08-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Beginner

I worked at burger king last yr. They are morning star burgers and are always cooked in the microwave. they are never cooked ahead of time. they have their own tongs (they're green). burger king guidelines make sure that no meat ever touches them. the indivdual employees i cannot speak for. though i am always reluctant to believe the stories about workers spitting in the food, when your back there and have 10 orders to make, and a manager standing over you, your not too worried if the customer was rude to the drive thru person. on being clean though i've seen some nasty practices, food picked up off the floor, hair in the onion rings ect.
#14 Old 08-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

They used to be cooked on the grills, but yes they are always microwaved now. It's in the guidelines, and it's on their website.
#15 Old 08-12-2006, 07:15 PM

I know someone that works at BK and the veggieburgers are cooked away from meat and in the microwave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page