Seeking information related to animal suicide. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-15-2006, 06:38 AM

Hello all. We are preparing a book on the topic of animal suicide* and are soliciting personal stories and/or thoughts on the subject. Please respond to us via email with any ideas and detailed stories. We are looking for any accounts or incidents about the subject; any references to, stories of, scientific studies regarding, historic accounts, folklore; and most of all any personal experiences or thoughts on this matter. Many thanks

[email protected]

*We define this broadly self-initiated-termination of life for most any reason - to avoid pain [mental and physical]; as a reaction to any other environmental, internal or external stimuli, situations, etc. We come from world-view there the differences between human and non-human animals are de-accentuated though acknowledged and their mutual importance accentuated, with compassion and equal respect for all beings who share this planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quite the optimist, I see. This isn't in the news yet.
#3 Old 06-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I know there is a story about an elephant I think in Iraq who literally went nuts and killed him/herself by banging his/her head against a stone wall (I read this awhile ago so my memory of the story is rather vague). I will try to find it and link it - maybe not for the book but just for interest sake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelson View Post

Well, I know there is a story about an elephant I think in Iraq who literally went nuts and killed him/herself by banging his/her head against a stone wall (I read this awhile ago so my memory of the story is rather vague). I will try to find it and link it - maybe not for the book but just for interest sake.

I heard something like that about a dolphin who was in a zoo or something that killed him/herself by repeatedly ramming his/her head against a wall.

Actually, if you google "dolphin suicide" you will find that it is quite known that dolphins in captivity often commit suicide or injure themselves.
#5 Old 06-17-2006, 07:29 AM

Since suiciude is an intentional act, I would be very skeptical that the finding any act that would be classified as such. Animals banging their head into a wall might be a mad desire to escape, and their death is a result of that attempt.
#6 Old 06-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati View Post

Since suiciude is an intentional act, I would be very skeptical that the finding any act that would be classified as such. Animals banging their head into a wall might be a mad desire to escape, and their death is a result of that attempt.

Wouldn't that be suicide, though? Death can be classified as an escape, and they're intentionally banging their heads into walls.
#7 Old 06-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Here we are - funny too because I was looking for information about "Stoney" the elephant and there was this info - right about it. So, did she commit suicide or was she insane and can you commit suicide if you are insane or really, would you be considered "insane" if you committed suicide? Hmmm....

http://www.pawsweb.org/site/resource...a&ct=clnk&cd=2

August 10, 1995: An elephant, the only animal in the Kuwait Zoo to survive the Iraqi occupation, committed suicide by banging her head against the cage. Dalal smashed her head against the cage after being driven mad by lack of space and noisy construction at the zoo, reported Kuwait's Al Qabas daily newspaper. Dala was shot in the leg during the war in 1990-91 but recovered from the wound. During the occupation, the Iraqi troops were charged with starving and shooting the animals at the zoo.
#8 Old 06-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I think cockatoos or some exotic parrots get so frustrated in captivity that they start shedding all their feathers and wither away, I don't know if that counts as suicidal, I do think it counts self-destructive anyway.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#9 Old 06-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by writetheway View Post

Wouldn't that be suicide, though? Death can be classified as an escape, and they're intentionally banging their heads into walls.

i thought ducati was implying banging their heads against the wall, to break free and get to the other side of the wall. i could be wrong tho.
#10 Old 06-17-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post

i thought ducati was implying banging their heads against the wall, to break free and get to the other side of the wall. i could be wrong tho.

Yes I was. Physical escape, not a mental escape. Since suicide is an intentional act and we have no way to know the mindset of an animal, then we can never know if any animal is capable of suicide. Some people believe that when a whale is old and in pain, they beach themselves to die quicker and stop the pain. However, there is no way to prove that the whale made this decision intentionally, or was disoriented or has had a loss of mental capacity.
#11 Old 06-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

According to my "special" roommate "when bettas are ready to die they jump out of their bowls"
#12 Old 06-19-2006, 04:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

According to my "special" roommate "when bettas are ready to die they jump out of their bowls"

#13 Old 06-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I guess not many of them are ready to die (surprise?).
#14 Old 06-19-2006, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

well if there isnt a lid they will often jump out, but thats not because they're ready to die its because bettas like to jump.
#15 Old 06-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I think cockatoos or some exotic parrots get so frustrated in captivity that they start shedding all their feathers and wither away, I don't know if that counts as suicidal, I do think it counts self-destructive anyway.

Birds in captivity who are bored, stressed, or are constantly in contact with smoking pull out their own feathers to relieve boredom or are psychologically unstable. They don't necessarily aim to kill themselves...they are just looking for enrichment ot are trying to find some way to comfort or entertain themselves. When it comes to birds who live with smokers, they pull their feathers because the smoke sticks to the feathers making them itch and become uncomfortable. So suicide is not what is happening in this case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page