'Lancaster County egg farm is cited for animal cruelty' - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Link-http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/b...s/13587975.htm

The owner and the manager of a Lancaster County egg farm were charged yesterday with 35 counts of animal cruelty in a case reflecting a national battle between animal-rights advocates and agribusiness over the treatment of laying hens.

Video shot by an animal-rights activist employed at Esbenshade Farms in Mount Joy for 10 days last fall showed hens impaled on loose wires, hens unable to eat or drink because they were entangled in the wire cages, and hens left to die in aisles without food and water.

Johnna Seeton, the Pennsylvania humane society police officer who filed the citations with a district justice in Elizabethtown, described the conditions for the estimated 600,000 laying hens on the farm as "very, very bad."

Seeton is authorized to initiate criminal proceedings in her capacity with the humane society...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

It's about time the cruelty at egg farms gets noticed. After reading the part in Meat Market (by Erik Marcus) about layer hen's prolapsed uteruses and all the other awful things that happen to those poor creatures, I definitely agree that layer hens have it worse off than any other creature.

This is rather disturbing:

Quote:
Paul Patterson, a professor of poultry science at Pennsylvania State University, said he has worked with caged and cage-free systems. "I do believe a hen's welfare is better in a cage," he said.

Uhh... ....whaaat?
#3 Old 01-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Professor Paul Patterson would do best in a cage. I mean, the world is very dangerous and I am concerned about his welfare!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauratiara View Post

I think Professor Paul Patterson would do best in a cage. I mean, the world is very dangerous and I am concerned about his welfare!

*snicker*
#5 Old 01-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw Erik Marcus speak last night and started reading Meat Market.

He suggests people wishing to gradually become vegetarian/vegan should eliminate eggs before meat. After reading this (and other) stories it is clear the layer hens have a miserable and horrific life even before the blatant abuse.
#6 Old 01-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page