Vogue Editor Anna Wintour Gets Pied By PETA - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Anti-Fur Group Pies Vogue Editor Wintour

PARIS (Oct. 8) - French anti-fur activists said they struck Anna Wintour, editor of the U.S. edition of Vogue, in the face with a cream pie on Saturday to protest against her support for the use of animal fur by the fashion industry.

Wintour, dressed in a fur-trimmed black jacket, was hit in the face with a tofu cream pie as she left the Chloe fashion ready-to-wear show at the Tuileries Gardens in central Paris, members of the group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said.

Well, I don't think tossing a pie in her face will change anything, but I sure like looking at that "after" picture of her.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

And it was a 'tofu cream pie' that made it even more funny.

I am sure it really doesn't help the cause at all either but I can't help it if i find it amusing too!!
#3 Old 10-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

This is why people think veg*ns are all crazy activists. While I find the concept somewhat amusing, to actually go through with this is ridiculous. It accomplishes nothing other than making you seem crazy (and she'll just go get a new jacket with fur if this one has tofu cream on it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Banned

My only problem with such actions as this is the food wastage aspect..... it seems kind of wrong to use food this way when so many people around the world are starving.

Other than that, nice shot!
#5 Old 10-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

This is why people think veg*ns are all crazy activists. While I find the concept somewhat amusing, to actually go through with this is ridiculous. It accomplishes nothing other than making you seem crazy (and she'll just go get a new jacket with fur if this one has tofu cream on it).

ITA.

the old saying holds true most of the time - you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. AND NO I'M NOT VEGANIZING THAT SAYING.
#6 Old 10-09-2005, 12:14 AM

I got a happy warm feeling when I read that article. She's lucky that it was just a tofu pie that got thrown at her. That "after" picture was great!!
#7 Old 10-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Banned

I wish PETA and Anna Wintour could bond over their common desire to objectify and promote unhealthy body image among women.
#8 Old 10-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

I wish PETA and Anna Wintour could bond over their common desire to objectify and promote unhealthy body image among women.

For real. Their ads for "fur trim" and tiger ladies behind cages are so tacky.
#9 Old 10-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Throwing cream-pies is a popular form of protest in France. Politicians get them too.

People in France will think it's funny.
#10 Old 10-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

agreed.
#11 Old 10-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Cissy:

I promise you, throwing cream-pies at famous people is a kind of a tradition in France. It's really no big deal. Lots of celebrities have been on the receiving end. No-one will have paid much attention to this, except to find it funny.

Much better to throw cream-tarts than stones. It doesn't hurt so much.

Also, PETA does not have a bad reputation in France. They're no big deal either - not compared to the National Front, for instance.
#12 Old 10-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Banned

Ms. Wintour is an American, this is being covered by American press. We're going to look like nutjubs in American regardless of what the French think.
#13 Old 10-09-2005, 04:19 PM

I'm an american and I don't think its a big deal. Anyone who judges an organization or group of people from a single event is probablly not smart enough to be of value to the AR movement anyway.
#14 Old 10-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I just watched a documentary on Ghandi ... they should take a lesson from him.

Bob Barker has done far more for the anti-fur movement than antics such as this.
#15 Old 10-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm starting to see why people on here don't like PETA. . . .
#16 Old 10-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Bob Barker proudly supports the ALF.

Actually, Gandhi saw nonviolence as a strategy (which, by the way, wouldn't have worked in India without the numbers they had *of people fighting for their OWN liberation,* which animals will never have; and it didn't exist in a vacuum without more aggressive strategies). For him it would be preferable to so something - anything - than to just sit around and do nothing and complain about what others are doing.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#17 Old 10-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

"Actually, Gandhi saw nonviolence as a strategy "

--------

I don't believe he just "used" it as a strategy. He believed it. Also numerical minority can have an impression by gaining world-wide media attention (which also happened in Ghandi's case). Do you think if Indians uprising and killing British in India in the 1920's/30's would have gained much media support worldwide for their plight?

However, even on these boards we have a bunch of people who decided to go veg and still some of us feel that throwing pies at people or other forms of illegal assault is unacceptable. What do you think the average Joe sees about such acts...they see them and the movement as criminals and it deminishes the whole concern for animals as the concern of radicals and dangerous crazed people.

However , I believe that Bob Barkers methods have done far more than pies in the face ever will and I wasn't commenting on whether he does or doesn't support the ALF or whoever else.
#18 Old 10-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Why is it that many complain about naked women in PETA ads, but hardly anyone complains about the naked men in their ads. I think you all are just being sexist. There is nothing shameful about the female body. I support Peta's naked ads, they weren't forced to pose, the body is natural and not disgusting, and it brings attention, and the animals really need it.
#19 Old 10-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

You can still *believe* in a strategy. He also believed that it would be better to do something - anything - than to sit around and do nothing and complain about what others are doing.

But good luck getting your media attention for animals by leafletting on a corner (which the majority of people who complain don't do anyway - they just like to criticize others' actions). Why do you think PETA does the stunts that it does?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#20 Old 10-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebutterfly05 View Post

Why is it that many complain about naked women in PETA ads, but hardly anyone complains about the naked men in their ads. I think you all are just being sexist. There is nothing shameful about the female body. I support Peta's naked ads, they weren't forced to pose, the body is natural and not disgusting, and it brings attention, and the animals really need it.

People should complain more about the naked men since naked women look better.
#21 Old 10-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

"He also believed that it would be better to do something - anything"

----------------

Please supply a link to information where he thought 'anything' would be better than nothing (ie, the word 'anything' could mean attacking people with pies, machettes, machine guns or flame-throwers).

----------------------

"Why do you think PETA does the stunts that it does?"

----------------------

Apparently they believe the common advertizing philosophy of 'any attention is good' attention (sometimes it seems to not only drive most TV adverts but most TV as well). In other words, as long as you get the peoples' attention it's a good thing. Perhaps my reaction isn't correct and any attention really is helpful. I would have to see some concrete study showing that this is the case.

I said I disagreed with pies in faces or any other form of personal assault (or attacks such as the billboard referring to the former New York mayor about his cancer being linked to meat-eating). I never said I only agreed with giving out pamphlets. Perhaps instead of pies in the face, these people could get some imagination that could induce media attention without assaulting anyone or making everyone think animal rights is done by a bunch of crazed violent thugs who don't give a darn about someone's right to walk in public without getting assaulted.
#22 Old 10-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Gandhi felt that nonviolence was better than violence, but in choosing between doing nothing or violence, action was better.

There are better quotes than this, but if you're one of those people who loves to bring up Gandhi as the supreme model of nonviolence without any nuance, you should do your own research.

“Better than cowardice is killing and being killed in battle.”

~ Mahatma Gandhi

There has never been only one way to a revolution - Gandhi didn't operate in a vacuum. Do you consider Mandela a "thug" too? https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=42383

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#23 Old 10-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Banned

Here are a couple more.

"Where there is a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence."

"It is better to fight than to be afraid. It is better to indulge in violence than to run away."
#24 Old 10-09-2005, 11:14 PM

I don't see why throwing a little pie into this evil woman's face is such a big deal. All she's got is a little humiliation (that she deserves), some TOFU cream on her face...while animals used for fur are crying, screaming for help and helplessly suffering each day.
#25 Old 10-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

But good luck getting your media attention for animals by leafletting on a corner (which the majority of people who complain don't do anyway -

I did last week. Interesting variety of responses.
#26 Old 10-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:

I agree. Throwing pie at someone is so mature. The only thing that will do is royally piss the person off, and drive them further away from A/R.
#27 Old 10-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I think throwing pies is great public action. I think it is funny.
#28 Old 10-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Vegan Police Officer

I also think it's funny. Anyone with a sense of humour would at least smile about this. I mean, one smiles at it when it happens to a circus clown. And this woman parading with her stupid fur is a bit of a circus clown, isn't she?

If she ever comes to Switzerland, I think I'll throw a pie at her as well. It's not the kind of thing I normally do, but hey, I'm getting on to 50 years old soon and I really DO need to spice up my life a bit now that the mosh-pit has become too much for me.
#29 Old 10-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

"but if you're one of those people"

------------

I'm not "one of those people" as you put it. You've inferred that I was 'just one of those people' who this and that' (in this post and the previous one about protesting). It's an annoying attitude to be honest.

... if you believe people have the right to toss pies in anyone's face than I assume you won't complain when someone does it to you.

However it would be good to include a date with the quotes from Ghandi just to give it context within a timeline of his life.

-------------------

" Do you consider Mandela a "thug" too?"

-------------

Please don't guess at my alledged thoughts. You don't know me at all and it's frankly an insult to be asked such a thing.

The heck with it. I'm tired of arguing about anything and everything anyway
#30 Old 10-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

It would be pretty funny if it got to be a ritual...like if this lady got a pie in her face at every event she went to in Europe...I know it's mean, but it's SO funny! And it doesn't really hurt anyone...if she could laugh about it, and get over herself, and start caring about other living beings...well, then it would be a fairy tale ending, wouldn't it? I say go for the pie. That's not violence. I would laugh if someone threw a pie at me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page