Japanese fast food chain launches whale burgers (merged) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050623...n_050623135902

TOKYO (AFP) - A Japanese fast food chain said it would sell 200 whale burgers a day to meet strong demand from its customers amid global criticism over the country's bid to expand whaling.

Burger chain Lucky Pierrot, which runs 10 shops in the northern island of Hokkaido, said the burger using minke whales caught under Japan's controversial "research" whaling program was selling like hotcakes.

"We fry minke whale meat and the burger really tastes like beef," manager Miku Oh said.

"We have decided to add a whale burger to our menu due to strong demand from our customers and feel very thankful to the whales for allowing us to make the burgers," she told AFP.

Twenty whale burgers, each priced at 380 yen (3.5 dollars), will be sold from Thursday at each of the chain's 10 outlets.

The launch of the whale burger came as the International Whaling Commission on Thursday rejected a bid by Japan to resume commercial catches of minke whales in the Pacific Ocean.

Japan, which calls anti-whaling campaigners disrespectful of its culture, kills whales as "research" under a clause in a 1986 moratorium.

Japan is campaigning for a full-scale return to commercial catches, saying whale stocks have recovered sufficiently during the 19-year ban.

It also plans to double its hunt of minke whales and to resume killing endangered fin whales and vulnerable humpbacks, despite fierce opposition by an alliance led by Australia.

Oh said the restaurant was aware of global criticism over Japan's efforts to expand research whale hunting but argued eating whale meat was part of the country's traditional food and should be treated with respect.

"We value our whale food culture and would like to offer it to our customers. We have a long tradition of eating whale meat as a port in Hakodate used to be a major whaling hub," she said, referring to the major port city in Hokkaido, some 800 kilometers (496 miles) north of Tokyo.

Earlier this year, most schools in Wakayama, Japan's western whaling heartland, resumed whale lunches which had gone off the menu amid global anti-whaling campaigns.

Hoping children will take a liking to whale, the schools have served the meat in burgers and marinated it in sweet and sour sauce.

--------------

of course they want to get children hooked on it. This planet sucks.

~coney~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
"We fry minke whale meat and the burger really tastes like beef," manager Miku Oh said.

Then why not just eat the beef? Not saying that eating cows is any less evil than eating whales, but why bring another animal into it?

And just.. blahh... to the rest of the article
#3 Old 06-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

[url]We... feel very thankful to the whales for allowing us to make the burgers

Whale: "Oh, hey, yeah, you're welcome! Glad you like eating my flesh! That makes up for killing me, totally."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-23-2005, 01:26 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering the same thing...
#5 Old 06-23-2005, 01:27 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt Fink View Post

Then why not just eat the beef? Not saying that eating cows is any less evil than eating whales, but why bring another animal into it?

I was thinking the same thing....
#6 Old 06-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Oh said the restaurant was aware of global criticism over Japan's efforts to expand research whale hunting but argued eating whale meat was part of the country's traditional food and should be treated with respect.

This is going to make me sound like an insensitive jerk, but.. WAHH! Get over it. Sorry, but I find it impossible to be respectful toward something I don't find respectable. Humans are traditional food to cannibals, but can everyone find that respectable? Maybe I'm missing the point, but hunting endangered creatures (referring to the fin whales and humpbacks) with a vengeance because you're so concerned with maintaining a tradition seems a little selfish to me. And yes, I realize that to completely abolish whaling would put tons of people out of work and destroy lives and families and all that, but I'm just venting...

Quote:
...the burger using minke whales caught under Japan's controversial "research" whaling program was selling like hotcakes.

Morgan Spurlock aside, since when does eating greasy food count as research? Damn, sign me up, my fat arse will provide all the research you need. Again, hard for me to respect someone trying to make a profit for themselves through a loophole... hmph.
#7 Old 06-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

"Tradition is a guide and not a jailer"

William Somerset Maugham

"Tradition is the illusion of permanance."

Woody Allen

"Tradition is an explanation for acting without thinking"

Grace McGarvie

"Tradition simply means that we need to end what began well and continue what is worth continuing"

Jose Bergamin

And, finally:

"People are always talking about tradition, but they forget we have a tradition of a few hundred years of nonsense and stupidity, that there is a tradition of idiocy, incompetence and crudity"

Hugo Demartini

#8 Old 06-23-2005, 11:19 PM

I couldn't stand this after hearing this on the news

Japan has refused stopping whaling and now as a fast food item they are selling Whale burgers ...sick and wrong people..sick and wrong..eating whale blubber is just wrong.
#9 Old 06-23-2005, 11:29 PM

you make it sound like its more wrong then eating beef or chicken ...
#10 Old 06-23-2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3gan View Post

you make it sound like its more wrong then eating beef or chicken ...

Im sorry it is about the same =/ I guess Im just upset..sorry
#11 Old 06-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Good quotes Epski

Tradition is such pathetic excuse often, especially given the crudite reasoning behind most.
#12 Old 06-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whikey View Post

pw
#13 Old 06-23-2005, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whikey View Post

nah, it's different. whales aren't raised in horrible conditions.

I wouldn't eat a whale though.
#14 Old 06-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Good news is that this will cause less animal suffering, since cows are raised in worse conditions, and presumably feed less people than a whale?
#15 Old 06-24-2005, 12:01 AM

I wonder how much it would take to knock out the engine on those boats . . . since they refuel near here . . . *whistles*
#16 Old 06-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt Fink View Post

Then why not just eat the beef?

That's what I first thought but more cows would have to die to produce the amount of meat that comes from one whale so I dunno.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#17 Old 06-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

But if eating whales becomes an acceptable thing, aren't we looking at endangering them, to the point of near-extinction if this lasts even a few years? Imagine the demand if it catches on, and you can't quite farm whales.
#18 Old 06-24-2005, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

"Tradition is a guide and not a jailer"

William Somerset Maugham

"Tradition is the illusion of permanance."

Woody Allen

"Tradition is an explanation for acting without thinking"

Grace McGarvie

"Tradition simply means that we need to end what began well and continue what is worth continuing"

Jose Bergamin

And, finally:

"People are always talking about tradition, but they forget we have a tradition of a few hundred years of nonsense and stupidity, that there is a tradition of idiocy, incompetence and crudity"

Hugo Demartini

#19 Old 04-09-2006, 01:35 PM

Good for Japan, in my opinion. I f'in HATE whales. No animal should be that large. They're evil and awful and just disgusting.
#20 Old 04-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

You bumped a one year old thread to say that you hate animals and are glad people are killing and eating them? And you say you're a vegan?
#21 Old 04-09-2006, 02:41 PM

a - I didn't realize I was bumping, my bad.

b - Being a vegan doesn't mean you like all animals. I like pretty much all of 'em, but whales can go suck a lemon. They're awful, and if eating them is part of Japanese culture, they can have it.
#22 Old 04-09-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almond.sun View Post

b - Being a vegan doesn't mean you like all animals. I like pretty much all of 'em, but whales can go suck a lemon. They're awful, and if eating them is part of Japanese culture, they can have it.

Speechless.
#23 Old 04-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Beginner

"shooting people really make me feel like the real deal, a serial killer. I'm very thankful to my victims for allowing me to murder them." (i'm done)
#24 Old 04-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Good for Japan, in my opinion. I f'in HATE whales. No animal should be that large. They're evil and awful and just disgusting.

anger issues, party of one....

whales are one of the most gentle, non invasive animals on this earth. not to mention that they are beautiful and awe inspring....

sorry- as a vegan - you confuse me...
#25 Old 04-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgor72 View Post

whales are one of the most gentle, non invasive animals on this earth. not to mention that they are beautiful and awe inspring...

#26 Old 04-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I have met a few cows and didn't like them (I think it's their tongues...they're so LONG! ick) but that doesn't mean I condone how they are treated. just because you don't like an animal doesn't mean you can say they are "evil" or that you are happy they are being slaughtered.
#27 Old 04-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Beginner

you know what other kind of animal I don't like?

trolls

I f'in HATE trolls
#28 Old 04-10-2006, 01:18 PM

Yeah, I'm... kinda not a troll. I've been reading for about a month, actually, and have been on a number of similar boards, and there's a huge difference between trolling and a dissenting opinion.

Whales are gross, and they freka me out. I'm not angry, just phobic. They're creepy, and I'm not about to badmouth Japan's traditions to support this nasty creature. I wouldn't kill or eat one myself, but if that's their prerogative, it's their right to do so. I also don't lecture meat-eaters when they're having KFC or McD's or whatnot, because I don't get to make other people's decisions for them. We're all allowed to have our own opinions.
#29 Old 04-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Well at least you admit that your opinion is based on an irrational phobia. I'm not sure that's a good reason to want someone killed though.
#30 Old 04-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgor72 View Post

whales are one of the most gentle, non invasive animals on this earth. not to mention that they are beautiful and awe inspring....

Ever seen what a killer whale does to a seal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page