U.S. Ad Blitz Dismisses Obesity Threat as 'Hype' - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-25-2005, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Our good friends at the CFC are at it again...

Quote:
A group backed by the U.S. food and restaurant industries on Monday launched an advertising campaign aimed at dismissing as hype concerns about the large number of obese Americans.

The full-page ads in major U.S. newspapers were inspired by new government data questioning government assertions that obesity causes nearly as many deaths as smoking, according to the Center for Consumer Freedom, which paid for the ads.

The group, based in Washington, does not disclose names of its donors, though spokesman Mike Burita said casual dining restaurant chains "are predominant sources of funding for us."

Full story...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_obesity_dc_2

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

figures... they CANT have people getting skinny and vegetarian now can they theyd eat less nasty food and a lottta people would loose money!
#3 Old 04-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
The group, based in Washington, does not disclose names of its donors, though spokesman Mike Burita said casual dining restaurant chains "are predominant sources of funding for us.

Haha! It's too hard to ignore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I was out with my parents one Sunday; we were running errands and decided to stop somewhere for lunch instead of eating at home. We walked into a Coco's family restaurant, not sure if there was something there that we could eat (my parents are seniors on a restricted diet), none of us ever having been in a Coco's before.

We took several steps into the restaurant when the STRONG foul smell of burnt animal grease hit us full in the nostrils. Ugh. We turned right around and walked out without looking at the menu.

Don't people who eat there or work there notice how disgusting those places are? I guess not.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 04-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Administrator

I've thought about this before but never for long, I think I'm going to find a list of these restaurants and boycott them. If I recall correctly CFC had a list of them on their website, or maybe it was PETA. If I get ambitious I may even send them a letter letting them know why.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 04-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I've thought about this before but never for long, I think I'm going to find a list of these restaurants and boycott them. If I recall correctly CFC had a list of them on their website, or maybe it was PETA. If I get ambitious I may even send them a letter letting them know why.

Please tell us if you get the restaurant list! The 'Center for Consumer Freedom' is the most appaling lobbying group to ever exist. Therefore, anyone associated with them is appaling as well.

They act like they are actually concerned about people and 'freedom', not their big fat greasy wallets.

I guess I just imagine their execs as having big bulging wallets covered in hamburger grease.
#7 Old 04-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually its this one:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...nsumer_Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page