how depressed is your city? Men's Health Survey - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.newsnet5.com/health/4267792/detail.html

This is a list of 101 major American cities ranked in order from "happiest" (Laredo, Texas) to "most depressed" (Philadelphia) by Men's Health magazine.

I'm not real clear on what the methodology would be for ranking how depressed a city would be (least of all by Men's Health, not exactly a world authority on mood disorders or anything else not involving flat abs in 8 days or less)...but still, kind of a fun comparison. Most of the happiest cities are in Texas, interestingly.

My hometown comes in at #17; my current 'hood is near the bottom at #71 (and on days like today, I can understand why).

Mods: feel free to move to "general health discussions" if that's more appropriate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Gee. Oklahoma is almost exactly in the middle. OKC and Tulsa both. Go figure- it's like Oklahoma is just damned to be only "OK". (It's even our motto).

Better than dead last, I guess.
#3 Old 03-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Is this referring to economic depression or psychological depression or something else? I'd probably be much more depressed if I lived in Laredo, TX as opposed to Tucson, AZ, yet Laredo gets an A+ and Tucson gets a C. I have no idea of the economic state of Laredo, but I suspect it's not the wealthiest place around. Strange list...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's the accompanying article: http://www.newsnet5.com/health/4267892/detail.html

While suicide rates might be a good indicators of depression levels in a city, I'm not sure antidepressant sales are the best indicator. Different regions of the country have different attitudes about mental illness. People in Lincoln, Nebraska (#9) might have more of that "don't talk about mental illness, deal with your problems in private" type of attitude than people in San Francisco (#50) do for instance.
#5 Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Used to live near Houston...a "D"..now in Columbia..Happiest place on earth.. There's Prozac in the water...it's that darned Prozac plant upstream from us...
#6 Old 03-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Haha oh man, I am moving from a D (NYC) to an F (Tampa). Weee!
#7 Old 03-09-2005, 04:36 PM

My town got a C- (the universal sign for sub-mediocrity). Figures. It's a pit of snarled traffic, smog, and other refuse that's spilled over from LA.

On the up side, we do have so much racial diversity that, basically, EVERYONE is a minority there. Kinda cool. Of course, I AM sick of getting put down by The Man.

The Rev
#8 Old 03-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Isn't Texas one of the "fattest" states? Interesting that it's also home to 3 of the A+ happiest cities...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page