#1 Old 03-01-2005, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Ex-con preyed on dog lovers

Fraud charged: One woman, who lost beagle, calls schemer "scum of Earth."

By RHONDA COOK

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/01/05

Andre Gould used the Internet to find the heartbroken owners of lost pets as part of a lucrative scam, Atlanta police said Monday.

Gould, 37, allegedly persuaded as many as 17 people in six states to wire him $85 for a pet carrier to fly their dogs home, plus any extra money victims wanted to send. He got the idea from a news story of a similar scheme in New York almost 20 years ago, police said. But the owners never got their pets, and Gould has been charged with fraud and racketeering and jailed on $65,000 bond.

"He's the scum of Earth," Ann Rittenberry of Antioch, Tenn., said about Gould, who told her his name was Ron Barton when he called with news of finding Peanut, her son's beagle. "It's the lowest of low, preying on people who are desperate to get their animals back."

Rittenberry and Justin, her then-8-year-old son, waited in vain Dec. 22 at the airport in Nashville for Peanut.

"I had to tell him Peanut wasn't coming home after all," Rittenberry said.

Police Detective Paul Cooper said Gould, who faces as many as 20 years if convicted, explained his system to police after he was arrested at a Buckhead motel Friday...

Full story.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

ewww what a horrible guy.....
#3 Old 03-01-2005, 06:16 AM
Administrator

I don't get it. Where were these dogs being flown from if their "owners" were located somewhere else?

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2005, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Gould, just a few weeks out of a federal prison halfway house, would use the Internet to find people who had classified ads looking for lost dogs, focusing on those that said the animal had been implanted with a microchip containing identifying information. He only targeted people who lived some distance from Atlanta.

Then Gould used public library computers, and later his own laptop, to find addresses for the phone numbers in the ads. Using mapping software, he would identify cross streets or landmarks to add legitimacy to his claim that he had found their hurt dog beside the road.

Silly.
#5 Old 03-01-2005, 06:28 AM
Administrator

I didn't know there was more to the story.

#6 Old 03-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Uh, what do you think the '...' was for? And I thought we weren't able to post an entire article.

ETA: It must be your avatar.
#7 Old 03-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Administrator

I put "Full story..." and then a link at the bottom. Like this...

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=33249

#8 Old 03-01-2005, 01:26 PM

The most disgusting thing about any real crime is that it requires something good to ruin. Burglars destroy people's sense of security in their home, Scam artists destroy people's trust in others, Murderers require a vital life in order to snuff it out. You'd think, after having lived this long, I would be used to it. This guy exploited and violated love and affection, two very powerful and positive human traits, to make, basically, beer money.

People like this make me so angry.

The Rev
#9 Old 03-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

The most disgusting thing about any real crime is that it requires something good to ruin. Burglars destroy people's sense of security in their home, Scam artists destroy people's trust in others, Murderers require a vital life in order to snuff it out. You'd think, after having lived this long, I would be used to it. This guy exploited and violated love and affection, two very powerful and positive human traits, to make, basically, beer money.

People like this make me so angry.

The Rev

Agreed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page