Dad Dies After Accidentally Shooting Son At Deer Feeder - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-01-2004, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Not a good week for hunters.

Quote:

A father accidentally shot and killed his son at a deer feeder and then died of a heart attack, authorities said Monday.

The Medical Examiner's Office in Jacksonville confirmed that Ronald McKenna Jr., 33, died from what appeared to be an accidental gunshot wound. His father, Ronald McKenna Sr., 54, died of a heart attack.

The younger McKenna went into the woods on Thanksgiving Day near Keystone Heights to check on a deer feeder, Clay County sheriff's spokeswoman Mary Justino said. His father saw movement around the feeder that he reportedly thought was a deer. He fired one shot, killing his son. The elder McKenna then suffered a fatal heart attack.

Justino said the investigation continued, but investigators believed there was no evidence of foul play.

http://www.local6.com/news/3956838/d...211302004&ts=H

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-01-2004, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow.
#3 Old 12-01-2004, 02:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
She loses husband, son on Thanksgiving

Husband shoots son in hunting accident, dies at his side from heart attack.

Marie McKenna lost her heart on Thanksgiving Day.

Everything important died that day and giving thanks hasn't been thought about since.

"You should never have to lose what you love so much," she said, sitting in a car in her driveway because being in the house is just too much. "It's still just rolling around and around in my mind."

Her son, Ronald McKenna II, 33, died Thursday after his father mistook him for a deer in the woods behind their Clay County house, authorities said. Her husband, Ronald McKenna, 54, died next to his son after suffering a heart attack.

Full story...

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...17317139.shtml

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-01-2004, 02:59 AM
Banned

So once again it's time to celebrate?

Seriously, though..... I'm glad I avoided my dad ever taking me out to hunt. He hunts deer and wild boar, and never hesitates to say to me and my mother and brothers "anyone want some fresh deer meat". I'm never sure how much of that is directed at me (him and his mates are typical macho Aussie males, and what I've become probably irks him to no end).
#5 Old 12-01-2004, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

sad
#6 Old 12-01-2004, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

OMG that's terrible!!

Thanksgiving will NEVER be the same for that family.
#7 Old 12-01-2004, 05:40 AM
Banned

Thats if she's got any family left, poor woman.
#8 Old 12-01-2004, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

One of my good friends from high school permanently blinded his dad in a hunting accident.
#9 Old 12-01-2004, 06:49 AM
Banned

My dad's best mate's nephew blew his head off with his dad's gun. Since then he (my dad's mate) has hated guns, but my dad still has guns and often goes shooting deer and wild pigs (he sometimes seems to be trying to get me interested..... what a f*cking stupid moron, hasn't he got the idea yet?).
#10 Old 12-01-2004, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

What a sad story. Whatever you feel about hunting it's hard not to have a whole heap of sympathy for that poor woman.
#11 Old 12-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

All these hunter incidents happening lately... maybe I just didn't notice in past years, or is it really worse this year?
#12 Old 12-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

#13 Old 12-01-2004, 08:34 AM

Oh how sad, the poor woman.
#14 Old 12-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Banned

Maybe the karma was being pooled.
#15 Old 12-01-2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

http://www.local6.com/news/3956838/d...211302004&ts=H

We've certainly had better times that's for certain.
#16 Old 12-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

All these hunter incidents happening lately... maybe I just didn't notice in past years, or is it really worse this year?

Seems worse. Perhaps it's more publicity.

I do have to say there's a part of me that sides with Kerm here. I was laying in my driveway 2 years back, working on a jeep, and "ka-zing" a ricochet bullet bounced of my drive 12" from my head. It's a sound you'll never forget.. So...do I feel for them when they shoot each other-?.. No not really. Do I feel for the folks in pain from the after effects-? Surely. For anyone in pain I'm empathetic. But I'm wondering if she/they ever put their foot down and say "I don't want you to do it." Gotta wonder if they "met out" their own justice by complacency..
#17 Old 12-01-2004, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Too true....maybe they will get the idea that shooting isn't fun after all.
#18 Old 12-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my goodness, my prayers go out to the family.

How can you eat anything with eyes? ~ Will Kellogg
#19 Old 12-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

That poor, poor woman.
#20 Old 12-01-2004, 11:04 PM

One can only say it so many times

Live by the gun...die by the gun

#21 Old 12-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tash View Post

But I'm wondering if she/they ever put their foot down and say "I don't want you to do it." Gotta wonder if they "met out" their own justice by complacency..

On this vein...My brother is a hunter and regularly goes out with relatives and friends to hunt, using various weapons. My mother has been saying, for the past 4-5 years since he was 13 and first started,

"I don't want you do to that."

"I'm not happy with this.

"I want you to stop it."

She has never actually been able to forbid it, because my father sees nothing wrong with it and supports it although he does not hunt himself.

So perhaps she has been trying for years to get them to stop but, because it was not only her son, but her husband - she couldn't actually stop them. People mostly do what they like anyhow.

I feel for the woman though - I can only imagine how my own mother would feel if she lost her son and husband in a hunting accident.
#22 Old 12-02-2004, 03:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder how many deer fathers they separated from their families - by death. Hunters seem to like the mature males in their prime. Thank goodness a little piece of that horror has ended for the wildlife.

Cycle of life, I guess.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#23 Old 12-02-2004, 03:54 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Yes, feel sorry for the poor mum but you gotta wonder about the mentality of a man who goes hunting with his gun-happy dad, wanders off into a bush, hides, and then makes rustlely sounds. I mean, if I was out in the bush and I knew there were a bunch of hunters with guns around I stay waaaay out in the open and wear a very bright hat.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#24 Old 12-02-2004, 04:04 AM
Administrator

They weren't out hunting. They were at home. And the son wasn't hiding making rustling noises, he was checking on the deer feeder. The dad shot him from the back porch.

#25 Old 12-02-2004, 04:46 AM
Veggie Regular

What's really sick about these people is that they put out deer food, and then, apparently, shoot at them from the back porch when the deer go to get the food.

Good riddance.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#26 Old 12-02-2004, 05:33 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Regardless of where it happened, and your views on hunting, the father was not practising proper gun safety.

It is pretty sick that they set up a deer feeder and shoot them from the porch. I'd say most sporting hunters even would say that was rather unsportsmanlike.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#27 Old 12-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
It is pretty sick that they set up a deer feeder and shoot them from the porch.

It's kinda interesting that, on the one hand, hunters get criticized for not making clean kills and, OTOH, also get criticized when they decrease the odds that they'll needlessly wound an animal. I suppose this contradiction has more to do with emotions than logic.
#28 Old 12-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

There's probably no worse feeling in the world than knowing you accidentally killed your own child. It's probably best that the father died so that he didn't have to continue living with that saddness and guilt. But the poor mother...
#29 Old 12-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

What's really sick about these people is that they put out deer food, and then, apparently, shoot at them from the back porch when the deer go to get the food.

Good riddance.

What's really sick is how cold some people are.
#30 Old 12-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

It's kinda interesting that, on the one hand, hunters get criticized for not making clean kills and, OTOH, also get criticized when they decrease the odds that they'll needlessly wound an animal. I suppose this contradiction has more to do with emotions than logic.

What contradiction? The aspect the criticism focuses on is different.

If I say that killing someone with one's bare hands is cruel and if I also say that killing someone (while not using one's bare hands) is horrible, am I contradicting myself?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page