Five dead after hunters clash in US - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Banned

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Fiv...972304344.html

(Requires free registration)

Quote:
Five dead after hunters clash in US

A dispute among hunters over a tree stand in northwestern Wisconsin erupted into a shooting that reportedly left five people dead and three injured.

The alleged gunman, a man from the Twin Cities (Minnesota) area, was arrested, Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle told KSTP-TV of St. Paul, Minnesota.

The shootings happened near Birchwood about noon yesterday. The station quoted authorities as saying the shooting began after a hunting party saw a hunter they didn't know occupying their tree stand.

That led to a confrontation. One victim used a walkie-talkie to call for help, but when other hunting partners came to the scene they also were shot, the station reported.

One of those wounded was in a critical condition in a Rice Lake hospital, and another in a fair condition, KSTP reported. The condition of the third victim was not released.

AP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-22-2004, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

holy capoly.I guess that is what happens,when you get angry people,with big guns who enjoy killing things..

I have always been surprised more accidents dont happen with hunters..maybe we just dont hear about it.
#3 Old 11-22-2004, 01:42 AM
Banned

The hunting party should have pissed around the tree stand to indicate their territory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-22-2004, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

The hunting party should have pissed around the tree stand to indicate their territory.

I fell off my chair when I read that!!
#5 Old 11-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble View Post

holy capoly.I guess that is what happens,when you get angry people,with big guns who enjoy killing things..

I have always been surprised more accidents dont happen with hunters..maybe we just dont hear about it.

I do not think that "accident" is the word I would use to describe this. More like Jerks going to war over an 18x18 platform.
#6 Old 11-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

that's awful!
#7 Old 11-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

They do happen quite often, you just dont hear about it on a national level unless its particularly gruesome or malicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble View Post

#8 Old 11-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Freaky! I see this happened pretty near here. Too bad I missed the news this weekend. KSTP is the channel I watch.
#9 Old 11-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

What a bunch of idiots.
#10 Old 11-22-2004, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I heard the weapon of the homcidal maniac described as an "assault rifle" today on the news. Hmmm. Way to go NRA. Thanks for making sure those things have remained legal.
#11 Old 11-22-2004, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

I think I heard the weapon of the homcidal maniac described as an "assault rifle" today on the news. Hmmm. Way to go NRA. Thanks for making sure those things have remained legal.

VIO, sorry to deflate your outrage but I've got a dollar that says it's a misquote by the talking head. Virtually no one hunts with "assault rifles" as almost every state has magazine capacity restrictions for hunting, as well as the fact that "assault rifles" aren't particularly well suited for hunting due to their limited range and accuracy.

Don't let the facts stand in your way, though - I'm sure you can find another reason to blame the instrumentality instead of the psycho who picked it up and used it.
#12 Old 11-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

is that one in your avatar veganohio, lol.... or are you just assaulted to see me.

(be it 'were' I a girl)...ha!

Was "thanks" sarcastic ? & what is the NRA.??.. I dont know not being American.

Bank you have been listening to "Guns dont kill people, rappers do" no?

what the hell is that UK outfit ? I cant think of the name....... It will come to me in a minit.
#13 Old 11-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

It was a standard semi automatic hunting rifle according to the article I read, which of course I dont have the link for.

I dont think it was out of the ordinary as far as hunting guns go.
#14 Old 11-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

NRA = National Rifle Association (NRA) = Gun lobbyist group

http://www.nra.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegAnaconda View Post

is that one in your avatar veganohio, lol.... or are you just assaulted to see me.

(be it 'were' I a girl)...ha!

Was "thanks" sarcastic ? & what is the NRA.??.. I dont know not being American.

what the hell is that UK outfit ? I cant think of the name....... It will come to me in a minit.

#15 Old 11-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

VIO, sorry to deflate your outrage but I've got a dollar that says it's a misquote by the talking head. Virtually no one hunts with "assault rifles" as almost every state has magazine capacity restrictions for hunting, as well as the fact that "assault rifles" aren't particularly well suited for hunting due to their limited range and accuracy.

Don't let the facts stand in your way, though - I'm sure you can find another reason to blame the instrumentality instead of the psycho who picked it up and used it.

Well, I did say "I think I heard" leaving room for error on their and my part. If the facts prove otherwise, I'll gladly eat my words. I'm good at it!

Anyways, we know that we've got homicidal maniacs. Any group that fights to make their jobs easier is irresponsible at best.

By the by, I don't want all guns to be banned, but the NRA are wackos and hurt more than they help.
#16 Old 11-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegAnaconda View Post

Goldie looking chain.
#17 Old 11-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Banned

It sounds like a psycho sniper in tree who takes down anyone who walks into range. It doesn't sound like the ground people were serious about shooting him, as he was "a sitting duck" so to speak.

This makes my case against issuing hunting lisc. without passing a psycho. evaluation first. Of course I feel the same way about truckers who drive the 18 wheelers and bully people with them.
#18 Old 11-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life2k View Post

It sounds like a psycho snipper in tree who takes down anyone who walks into range. It doesn't sound like the ground people were serious about shooting him, as he was "a sitting duck" so to speak.

Without all the facts it's hard to tell, but it sounds more like violent hunter egos clashing to me. The report I read said 20 shots were fired. It makes sense that the "suspect" survived since the tree platform would make excellent cover to hide up high and provide superior "big picture" vision of those below. If it weren't some kind of ego battle, the "nonviolent" hunters below could have run and hid instead of battling back.
#19 Old 11-22-2004, 12:50 PM

hmm, a little natural selection in action, i think.

i mean, dress in camoflauge, go where others with guns will be...do we really want these people reproducing?
#20 Old 11-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy View Post

Goldie looking chain.

Thankyou, bobs your uncle. (silly expression I know but it fits)

<<----- you're looking quite goldie yourself

I'm not a fan of Goldie Lookin Chain, and behold if I were to have a golden toilet flush chain, then sure, I'd pull the chain until drowning the noise out of their music

hehe.
#21 Old 11-22-2004, 01:36 PM

Well, at least the odds were fair. (It's about time hunters started shooting at things that can shoot back.)

The Rev
#22 Old 11-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm now considering building a tree stand on the back of my property...and a blind to hide in wait...heh-he-he........I border on the state parks where hunting is allowed.. Well posted is my land, and I bet big enough you could find a sinkhole or two.. *whistles innocently*
#23 Old 11-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Banned

''When you're hunting, you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you,'' Wagner said. ''You have no idea who is coming up to you.''

This was one of the quotes from another hunter.

If animals could talk, they would probably say something along the same line. I guess hunters never stop to think of that though.
#24 Old 11-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a cnn article..

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/22/hun....ap/index.html

"BIRCHWOOD, Wisconsin (AP) -- A deer hunter, who apparently intruded on private property, killed five other hunters and wounded three more during the opening weekend of deer season, authorities in Wisconsin said."
#25 Old 11-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

''When you're hunting, you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you,'' Wagner said. ''You have no idea who is coming up to you.''

If animals could talk, they would probably say something along the same line. I guess hunters never stop to think of that though.

LOL that needs to be reposted under the Stupid Things Omnis Say thread
#26 Old 11-22-2004, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

f*in morons is all i've got to say.
#27 Old 11-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

Well, at least the odds were fair. (It's about time hunters started shooting at things that can shoot back.)

Ditto.
#28 Old 11-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with L2K, sounds like a crazy guy. Sad event. Plus, I don't even think all the people shot were hunters (and frankly, I think it's sad, hunters or not.)
#29 Old 11-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Catgirl67 had exactly the quote I was going to post . I thought it was sadly hilarious, yeah.. the little deers don't expect (or don't want) someone to kill them while they're innocently chowing down on foliage either. You'd think they might learn something getting a taste of their own medicine, sigh.

With all the sad stories in the news, it's nice to get a little chuckle once in awhile .

Quote:

#30 Old 11-22-2004, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Amen!

The Rev

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page