State representative calls for legal action against PETA - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-04-2003, 04:55 PM

State representative calls for legal action against PETA

by John Buchel, State Editor

April 29, 2003

A state legislator is pushing an investigation into and possible legal action against a worldwide animal-rights group for its campaign touting the negative aspects of dairy consumption.

Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, has contacted Wisconsin's Consumer Protection Legal Division and asked it to examine the legality of an ad campaign run by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals that casts doubt on the health benefits of milk. Suder said he might ask Attorney General Peggy Lautenschlager to investigate the organization's practices in the near future.

As part of the campaign, PETA sent a letter to Gov. Jim Doyle asking him to permanently change the official state beverage from milk to beer. The group claims humans who consume cows' milk support an industry that treats animals poorly and are more susceptible to a wide range of health problems.

"They've crossed the line this time," Suder said. "They state in their letter that milk causes breast cancer, osteoporosis and a whole host of other diseases."

It is these claims, Suder says, that are potentially in violation of Wisconsin's false advertising laws, which prohibit any person or organization from making claims in the media that contain untrue or deceptive messages.

Suder said the PETA argument bases itself on quack medical science that has linked milk to everything from heart disease to acne.

"Beer in moderation is good for you, while even one glass of milk supports animal abuse and harms your health," said Bruce Friedrich, PETA director of vegan outreach, in a release. Friedrich sent Doyle the letter.

PETA's "Got Beer?" campaign first started in 2000, when it advertised the health benefits of beer as greater than those of milk. The advertisement initially enraged the group Mothers Against Drunk Driving for promoting the use of alcohol. As part of the campaign, PETA distributed bottle openers and drink cozies on college campuses.

The campaign continued to draw criticism from a broadening range of groups, and PETA ceased its efforts before reintroducing the ad campaign with new information from Harvard studies showing negative impacts of dairy consumption.

"They're on college campuses, and they don't just pick out students who are of legal drinking age. I'm not certain that it's necessarily illegal, but that type of behavior is definitely suspect," Suder said.

PETA member Andrew Butler organized a "Got Beer?" event April 24 at Madison's Angelic Brewing Company. According to Angelic manager Steve Keviel, around 30 people attended and were photographed by Butler with beer mustaches in exchange for a beer and a bowl of vegetarian chili, all put on PETA's tab. PETA's reason for increased presence in Madison was threefold, according to regional officials: the city is the capital of Wisconsin, which calls itself "America's Dairyland;" is home to one of the largest dairy-science departments of any university; and has often been ranked as one of the hardest-partying college towns.

Suder said he felt the group has a history of absurd claims. PETA had suggested in the past to former Gov. Tommy Thompson that milk be ousted as official state beverage because certain minority populations are usually more lactose-intolerant and therefore making a dairy drink the state's beverage was racist.

"I consider the group to be fringe. I usually ignore PETA because I think they're a bunch of idiots," Suder said.

Suder said he could not ignore the current situation, which he called an assault on Wisconsin's farm families.

http://www.badgerherald.com/vnews/di.../3eade4aecee89
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
"I consider the group to be fringe. I usually ignore PETA because I think they're a bunch of idiots," Suder said.

Hehe, it'll be interesting if PeTA turns around and tries to file slander (or is it libel) charges against Suder for calling them a bunch of idiots (what he personally believes about the group as a whole).
#3 Old 03-01-2006, 09:38 AM

Never really was a fan of PETA....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Contact Scott Suder and tell him that dairy is unhealthy and cruel and that his insinuation that PETA is breaking the law is ludicrous.

Via website-http://www.legis.state.wi.us/assembl...ontactInfo.htm

Madison Office:

Room 21 North

State Capitol

P.O. Box 8953

Madison, WI 53708-8953

Phone: (608) 267-0280

Fax: (608) 282-3669

District Office:

Telephone/fax: (715) 223-6964

Call toll-free: (888) 534-0069

I am sure he will appreciate your calls.
#5 Old 03-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread is 3 years old, lol.
#6 Old 03-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Damn I didn't notice but I wasnt the ressurect-er.

No reason not to call that dude, I am sure he is still sucking up a storm.
#7 Old 03-01-2006, 03:33 PM

Has anyone seen the milk-gone-wilde ad on tv ? On the peta website it says it's banned, so I just wonder if it ever was on tv.

http://www.milkgonewild.com/
#8 Old 03-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think they will be suing under "false advertisement" since they aren't promoting a product for sale. I think they will sue under the horrible "food slander laws" in many states. Generally if one honestly believes something to be true, you have the freedom to say it the burden of proof is to prove the speaker purposely and knowingly spread false info. (except if your state has a food slander law.) This is the same kind of law that Oprah was sued under.

I think going to trial could be very bad for the dairy industry, since it would require that many scientific articles and expert testimony regarding bad things about milk become part of the public record, plus it would risk publicity of PETA's claims to be examined by the public at large.
#9 Old 03-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulette View Post

Has anyone seen the milk-gone-wilde ad on tv ? On the peta website it says it's banned, so I just wonder if it ever was on tv.

http://www.milkgonewild.com/

I saw that on peta's website. *snickers*
#10 Old 03-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Eh...whatever. I say there is nothing wrong with PETA wanting to voice their concerns and opinions when it comes to the dairy industry. Just as long as they support animal welfare, it's all good. Three words: Freedom of Speech.
#11 Old 03-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

this is good, frekin wisconsin cheese heads! eat cheese, become obese! our cheese is better, its got more fat!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page