#1 Old 09-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

VARIETY.COM

Posted: Wed., Sep. 15, 2004, 10:28pm PT

Quote:
Fur flies with 'Cat' man vs. protesters

Controversial docu's star detained by police

By BRENDAN KELLY

TORONTO -- The premiere of "Casuistry: The Art of Killing a Cat" Tuesday night at the Toronto Film Festival was marred by a confrontation between animal-rights activists and the man who killed the cat.

Jesse Power, the subject of the film, showed up at the premiere at the Cumberland Theater, and, per fest organizers, taunted the 100 animal-rights protesters there.

Power was detained by Toronto police and cautioned for breach of the peace, but was not charged.

The Canuck documentary has caused controversy ever since it was announced that it would play the fest, with animal-rights groups saying fest is endorsing cruelty to animals.

In 2001, Power pleaded guilty to animal cruelty and mischief charges after police discovered that he and two friends had videotaped themselves killing a cat to protest the factory slaughter of farm animals. The doc is a look at this bizarre incident.

Toronto fest co-director Noah Cowan didn't try to hide his anger that Power had been invited to the premiere. Fest organizers said the pic producer invited Power even though fest had asked for him not to attend.

"I'm always sad when the conversation is not about the film and becomes about people doing stupid stuff," Cowan said. "We made it very clear that Power would not be welcome. We went to great pains to focus attention away from him and his video, and on to the social context of the issue of cruelty to animals. This incident only undermines the message of the film."

"Casuistry" producer Linda Feesey refused to say whether she had invited Power to the screening, saying only that "he had a right to be there."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Ex-*****

I so wish that Bob, the righteous dinosaur in the Dilbert comic, would show up and give these people a good wedgie.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#3 Old 09-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Isn't it time for some vigilante justice for this guy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

What a smug little SOB!! He's just loving all of this attention, isn't he?
#5 Old 09-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

He better hope he never meets me. I'd enjoy torturing him to death.
#6 Old 09-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Slightly off-topic, I'm so sick of the phrase "the fur flies" being used in every newspaper headline pertaining to an animal-related controversy. It's not clever, it's not funny, and it's cliche as .

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page