What are the biggest animal issues local to your area? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

What are the biggest animal issues local to your area?

What are currently the biggest animal issues in your area? Big things like factory farm rights, over-fishing etc effect everyone world-wide. Since we have people from all over the world, I'm interested in hearing what local issues are effecting your town/city/state or even country.

I'm from Melbourne, Australia.

Our biggest current issues are:

Carriage Rides: Because Melbourne is apparently from the 1800's our city still offers horse and carriage rides through the city. These are supposed to be a "romantic" attraction for tourists, but it's far from romantic for the horses. They work and are kept in horrible conditions, share the roads with peds, cyclists, cars, buses and trams and the drivers are horrible abusive people. They also work for hours that are far too long and in heat that is far too hot. There has been many protests and demonstrations to shut this down.

Horse Racing: Every Spring Melbourne is home to a huge racing industry, which all come together on the "Melbourne Cup", one of the biggest and most disgusting races. Each year there are also many protests against this, although they sadly seem to not make much difference as the racing industry is strong as ever.

Greyhound Racing: Unlike horse racing, the greyhound industry isn't popular here. Aside from a very small handful of people in the actual industry, the general population seems to hate and want it to end. There's been a lot of protests, and many scandals, as well as greyhound trainers being tried and sentenced for crimes of animal abuse.

Those are the three main ones I can think of that effect my city currently, although there are many more. How about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2016, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Wolf Hunt

This has been a hot issue in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan for the last few years, since wolves were taken off the Federally protected endangered species list and the management of them was handed over to the individual states. Wolf hunting was allowed in Minnesota for a while but has now been banned again by the federal courts. Many many groups have been fighting to ban the hunting of wolves. The Native American population up here have been the most vocal, but other groups have also protested.

Zoo

In 2012 there was a terrible flood in my city, and over 11 zoo animals were killed as a result (.http://www.nbcnews.com/id/47889559/n.../#.VsZs6vkrLcs). The zoo in my city is built in a very low lying area, a bowl so to speak, right by a river. Zoo management has done nothing to make it safer so this doesn't happen again. Even PETA came to my city to protest the handling of this tragedy.

Horse carriage rides are a big thing here too, and it sickens me. We also have a huge dog sled race that takes place every year up here that so many people love. I remember one day my partner and I were driving out in the country in the early autumn, and we came on a pack of dogs chained together like a sled dog team, pulling a two ton vehicle with a man sitting behind the wheel. On the highway. My partner pulled over and asked what he was doing, and he replied that he was training his dogs for the event. Yeah.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 02-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Ankle Biter

I'm in central Virginia, USA. Here there are far too many feral cats; dog fighting has to disappeared; there are several Tyson Chicken hatcheries and processing plants throughout central Virginia; too few pet owners getting pets spayed and neutered; the circus (Ringling) comes to town every spring; an independent pet store sells puppy mill pups (Pauley's Pups, Ashland, VA); foodies have an obsession with bacon; the food scene in general is far to devoted to meat and dairy; a local fur store continues to do a robust business despite protests; there's hunting galore; fox penning; horse racing; far too many homeless pets; pet stores selling confined birds, rodents, reptiles and fish; hardly anyone feeds their dogs a vegan diet; and some restaurants still even serve foie gras. And I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in calgary where we have what we call the calgary stampede. It's a yearly event where animals get tormented for fun. A lot of it is okay, and it has a lot of traditional stuff but we could really do without the torment. Protests of course happen but the event exists because of demand so I don't know how much it helps. I honestly think people's efforts would be better spent promoting veganism in general as support for the stampede would weaken naturally if people were going vegan.

Aside from that I don't think it's too bad here....relatively speaking. From what I can tell most cows here are free to roam around until they're painfully eliminated. We don't have cat problems or anything else AFAIK.
#5 Old 02-19-2016, 02:54 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
I live in calgary where we have what we call the calgary stampede. It's a yearly event where animals get tormented for fun. A lot of it is okay, and it has a lot of traditional stuff but we could really do without the torment. Protests of course happen but the event exists because of demand so I don't know how much it helps. I honestly think people's efforts would be better spent promoting veganism in general as support for the stampede would weaken naturally if people were going vegan.

Aside from that I don't think it's too bad here....relatively speaking. From what I can tell most cows here are free to roam around until they're painfully eliminated. We don't have cat problems or anything else AFAIK.
It's too cold for cattle to roam around in the winter up there. They must be in barns in the winter.
#6 Old 03-15-2016, 10:20 AM

horse racing
there is a horse racing course near to where my niece stays
i use to go to there when i was a child but then i grew up
horses made to run and jump whipping them or they can miss a jump and break its leg or its neck
they suffer all people in the race industry only care about money and victory.
i no longer watch it , bet and have anything to do with there sick barbaric industry

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being."
Mahatma Gandhi,
#7 Old 03-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm in upstate New York. I was going to say the homeless pet problem, which has fortunately been improving, but XWillowX's post just above about horse racing reminded me of something.

We have a rather well-known race track in Saratoga, and honestly, until a recent Olympics, I didn't know how dangerous some (maybe all) events are for the horses who participate in them. I thought deaths of horses were quite rare, but at just one recent Olympics (I think it was London), more than one horse was badly injured enough that they were killed.

Apart from that.... hunting and trapping are somewhat popular here, as is consuming foods of animal origin. But vegetarianism and veganism are reasonably popular too.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 03-17-2016 at 04:44 PM.
#8 Old 03-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Semi-lurker

I live in the Oklahoma country, lots of cows and horses and deer hunting here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Videos, recipes, tips, and techniques.

#9 Old 03-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Well, lots of stuff locally recently.

1.The government is paying people to kill the big snakes in the Everglades because they are an introduced species.
2. They are letting people shoot black bears because we have taken over so much of their environment that they are showing up in people's yards.
3. Same ^^^ with alligators and wild pigs.
4. Fishing!!
#10 Old 03-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

1. Failure to spay/neuter.
2. This is a top puppy mill (that includes kittens too) state.
3. Dog fighting.
4. Hunting and fishing.
#11 Old 03-19-2016, 03:09 PM

Not exactly local anymore as I'm on the other side of the country now... But where I grew up it is duck hunting season. The vast majority of the people are against it on principle. There are issues of bird populations being low due to drought and many threatened species are being shot "accidentally" as well as the ones they are legally allowed to shoot. And many birds are injured and left to slowly suffer and die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
1. Failure to spay/neuter.
2. This is a top puppy mill (that includes kittens too) state.
This is a big problem right now where I am too. A lot of naive neighbours around me.

It's crab fest this weekend... Come join in a mass slaughter of marine life! Fun for the whole family! Don't forget to bring the kids along!

Last edited by SweetPotato; 03-19-2016 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page