faux-chocolate and faux-yogurt made of cow's blood. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

mmmmmm

Quote:
Dr Antipova and her team decided to find a way to use blood 12 years ago after learning that a local meat plant discarded up to seven tons of it daily.

This week, The Telegraph visited their laboratories. There, staff presented a snack - 'chocolate'-filled biscuits and a vanilla-flavoured 'yoghurt' drink.

The 'chocolate' filling was made from cow blood cells, sugar and chocolate flavouring. The 'yoghurt' drink contained no dairy products, but was plasma extracted from cow blood and treated with bacteria to give a creamy appearance, with sugar, preservatives and flavourings.

The products looked and tasted like chocolate biscuits and vanilla milkshake, it was impossible to tell that either contained blood. They were delicious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow. That's positively sickening.
#3 Old 08-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

That is disgusting.
#5 Old 08-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

we have this "candybar" in russia/ex ussr that you can buy at a pharmacy, it's made out of cows blood aswell i think. and it's "really good for you". i used to eat those when i was little, the thought freaked me out at first but then i got more comfortable with it. tastes kind of caramel-ish ...
#6 Old 08-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

#7 Old 08-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Banned

ROFL

Actually this is not at all far-fetched as milk seems to be basicly the liquid part of blood with the cells and big particles filtered out, with added fatty sectretions. Isn't it? Mammary glands are modified sweat glands. Blood, sweat, tears, milk, and lymph. Yum.
#8 Old 08-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Ew, that even sickened my omni boyfriend.
#9 Old 08-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

hahah

i mean. ew. it's so aethestically unappealing, even though i recognize intellectually that meat and dairy products are no less gross.

i believe that consuming blood (raw and hot out of the horse, even) mixed with milk, from horses, was something the ancient mongolians were very happy about. i also believe that some tribes of people still do consume a drink made of fresh blood and milk from cows and yaks and goats.
#10 Old 08-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Banned

"You don't have to say that it is a blood product - you can say that the product contains blood materials."
#11 Old 08-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

#12 Old 08-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Banned

kreeli: "i also believe that some tribes of people still do consume a drink made of fresh blood and milk from cows and yaks and goats."

Traditional fare for rural Masai is indeed a mixture of fresh blood and fresh milk. Blood supplies them with iron since there is not enough in milk. This forms a substantial part of their diet. I believe they ferment this stuff too -- save it for later as well as drink it warm and fresh. They are way ahead of the russian scientists as far as not letting resources going to waste, as they do not kill cattle when they are healthy and young and capable of giving plenty of milk and blood. They simply poke a jugular vein with a hollow reed or something, and do not collect enough blood to make the cow weak. A cow can feed you longer and better if you milk it and bleed it than if you kill it, is their philosophy, and they don't kill their cattle until they start going down in milk and blood production. I don't think they kill male cattle either, until they are fairly old, but I'm not sure. This diet seems to be the traditional diet of many Masai. They eat no vegetables. but they seem to recognize that their cattle are eating their vegetables for them, and are selective about where they graze their cattle.
#13 Old 08-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Banned

I'm having trouble eating my pizza with tomato sauce now.
#14 Old 08-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

That's gross.

But when I was in scotland a few years ago, black pudding (which is made with pig's blood. ) was on all the breakfast menus... errrrgghhh... I never ordered it, even though I was an omni... blehhh...
#15 Old 08-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Where's the Dracula emoticon when you need it? That's just disgusting.
#16 Old 08-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

positively revolting
#17 Old 08-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

EEEEWWWW!!!!!
#18 Old 08-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Heh heh. I suppose that's gross, but people who eat steak eat blood anyway, so what's the difference?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#19 Old 08-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I heard about this a few days ago. I agree that meat and dairy is no more disgusting, but the idea of using blood to make "chocolate" does make me want to hurl. Don't mess with chocolate, man! Chocolate is sacred!

The really sick part, to me, is the deception. The way they were talking about disguising it in the ingredients list, so that people didn't know they were consuming blood. Of course, food companies have been doing that for a long time, with other ingredients... like the various names for lac beetle secretions that coat candy and tablets.
#20 Old 08-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Heh heh. I suppose that's gross, but people who eat steak eat blood anyway, so what's the difference?

I agree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page