Exhibit of Human Bodies Debuts in L.A. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ap/body_worlds

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm...that's kind of cool. I saw something about it on tv last night. I'd like to see it up close. I need to find out how long it'll be there and drive down. Darn my insatiable curiosity!!
#3 Old 07-03-2004, 10:24 PM

That looks fantastic. I would love to see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow. I find it kind of disgusting. This leads me to the inevitable question: How much longer until humans are completely desensitized?
#5 Old 07-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelsunrise View Post

Wow. I find it kind of disgusting. This leads me to the inevitable question: How much longer until humans are completely desensitized?

Haven't you always kind of wanted to know what's going on inside of yourself? It's disgusting but really cool at the same time. Though I must admit, I wouldn't want to be displayed that way for all eternity!
#6 Old 07-04-2004, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelsunrise View Post

I agree. It's disgusting, objectifying people that way.
#7 Old 07-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post

I agree. It's disgusting, objectifying people that way.

they arent people, they are corpses.
#8 Old 07-04-2004, 12:29 AM

Yes, but they were people. How would you feel if it were your mother's body?
#9 Old 07-04-2004, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post

Yes, but they were people. How would you feel if it were your mother's body?

i wouldnt care, i dont value corpses, i dont mean any disrespect if it helps someone to preserve a corpse but I would like to save my sympathy for the living

it might seem disgusting, but its also wonderful to be able to see the human body in a new way

i dont mean to seem insensitive, i just fills me with wonder to see that type of stuff, it makes me feel alive
#10 Old 07-04-2004, 01:35 AM
Veggie Regular

these people did donate their bodies so says the article...

the only part of it i object to is that they are displayed like works of art. i dont think actual corpses need to be displayed like art if its supposed to be for educational purposes. its almost like death is romantacized in this instance.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#11 Old 07-04-2004, 08:41 AM

There's a pregnant lady with baby still intact in this display. They show her from the side. I wouldn't be able to look. Very sad that mom and baby died. Good that they were never seperated though.
#12 Old 07-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I really like this man's work. In fact, I started a thread about him in the compost heap awhile back.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=14987

What's the difference between looking at this, and going to a museum where mummies are on display? At least in this case, they donated their bodies, and gave permission to put them on display.

We need to get rid of this taboo surrounding death. Just think where we'd be now if a few hundred years ago, anatomists hadn't broken the rules and stolen corpses to research the human body.

I agree that a body needs a certain level of respect. But I don't see this as disrespecting the person who used to live in that body. I see it as an education about how amazing the human body is, and an affirmation on how precious life is.
#13 Old 07-04-2004, 10:31 AM

I agree that it is valuable educationally, but I am so squeamish there is NO WAY I could ever go this exhibit. I would stay about 100 miles away. LOL

One thing I read elsewhere about this exhiibt is that you must be 13 years of age to see it. I would up that age, honestly. 13 seems a bit young to me.
#14 Old 07-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you seen the slide show of it (in the article)? The bodies look beautiful (and cool) to me. The man who did it (while some might agree that he's a sicko) does have some talent to be able to preserve and present the cadavers that way.

I'd love to see it, but I doubt it's come to Prudse-Ville USA (Boston).

No, only scary Democrats up here. :P

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#15 Old 07-04-2004, 12:55 PM

If you read other news articles from around the world, there is some question about the some of the corpses. He offers money for them, and there are pending investigations about whether some of the corpses were made into corpses as a money making proposition.

ETA: I don't think that mummies should be put on display either, any more than I want my father's body dug up and put on display sometime in the future, no matter how distant. Native Americans have been trying for years to get their ancestors renains released from museums, so that they can be re-interred in a proper manner.
#16 Old 07-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

it think it is gross and as wrong as this work of "art" mother and child divided http://www.dh.ryoshuu.com/art/1993mother.html
#17 Old 07-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Damien Hirst is an artist that has had a lot of similar criticism, but he worked with the bodies of animals. http://images.google.ca/images?q=dam...=Google+Search ,if you're interested in taking a look.

I had a much more negative reaction to Hirst's work than von Hagen's, probably because the humans donated their bodies to him rather than were simply acquired and used. I think Hirst uses a lot more symbolism. I enjoy the way he uses the animals to make us consider aspects of our own humanity. The way in which he displays them is pretty respectful IMO, but it still sorta rubs me the wrong way. It's a really visceral reaction, but that's really what he's going after.

I think von Hagen's work is just really neat--not exactly a commentary on anything specific, but displaying humans as we are in a way that we don't like to imagine ourselves. I have no issue with the aspect of display. It's a lot better than the way we portray humans in the media, where anything but perfection is pitied, if not outright shunned.
#18 Old 07-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

There's also a man riding a horse in his display, the horse has been skinned like that too, i just wonder if the horse died naturally like the humans did?

I'm not sure what to make of this. I watched a documentary about it over a year ago and it showed how they remove the skin from the bodies. His workers were all chinese, not sure why, but just the way they handled the bodies and weren't phased at all by dissolved body fat worried me. I didn't like his merchandise either, something creepy about a stuffed toy that you can pull the intestines and organs out of. In fact i think the bloke is probably an alien, that's why he's so fascinated but doesn't give a s**t.
#19 Old 07-04-2004, 06:41 PM

I love it. Bare and naked. Washed from all conformity except that of which is our bones and nerve endings. Flocking briliant. Its Gray's Anatomy in 3d!

~Glamboy
#20 Old 07-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I think its awesome. I am wondering why these people donated their bodies though. Did they give the people permission to use their bodies after they died, or did they opt to be killed for art? I am so confused.
#21 Old 07-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I do want to see my body like that though.
#22 Old 07-04-2004, 08:03 PM

I seemingly doubt there was a murder involved. unfortunate as that may be. Im guessing cadavers.

~Glamboy
#23 Old 07-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

cavaders?
#24 Old 07-04-2004, 09:03 PM

pats former on the head. Its grown up talk for donated dead bodies

*heart you*

~Glamboy
#25 Old 07-04-2004, 09:59 PM

He buys the bodies, and as I said previously, there's some question about whether some of his "subjects" were killed so that they could be sold to him.
#26 Old 07-04-2004, 10:17 PM

Well that just makes it even better.

~Glamboy
#27 Old 07-04-2004, 11:17 PM

I hope you're not serious.
#28 Old 07-04-2004, 11:36 PM

course not....

~Glamboy
#29 Old 07-05-2004, 12:27 AM

So icky yet so fascinating... I don't know what I think. I don't think I'd want to see it though. I don't see how this is any better than an actual plastic model, they look so much like plastic themselves...
#30 Old 07-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusswoman View Post

Haven't you always kind of wanted to know what's going on inside of yourself? It's disgusting but really cool at the same time. Though I must admit, I wouldn't want to be displayed that way for all eternity!

Yes. I love knowing what goes on inside of me. And thanks to a Biology class, followed by an Anatomy & Physiology class, I learned all of that without having to be in front of a real human corpse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page