Physicians Group Sues Tyson Over 'Natural' Chicken - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-21-2002, 07:31 PM
Administrator

This is hilarious, in the last sentence Tyson admits to selling diseased chickens. Yum yum give me some!

Quote:
A doctors group filed suit Wednesday seeking to prevent Tyson Foods, Inc., from claiming its meat is all natural and saying chicken is a "heart-healthy" food.

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, best known for pushing vegetarian diets, filed its suit Wednesday in San Francisco County Superior Court.

In its complaint, the group said Tyson's chickens are treated with antibiotics that can cause allergic or toxic reactions in humans or may contribute to the development of antibiotic-resistant organisms in humans.

It is "absurd" that Tyson's antibiotic-treated chickens can cause allergic or toxic reactions in people, company spokesman Ed Nicholson said.

The group also takes issue with Tyson's promotion of its chicken as "heart-healthy." The physicians group said that no matter how chicken is cooked, it is high in saturated fat and cholesterol. Tyson markets and sells over 80 different chicken products, eight of which have been endorsed as "heart-healthy" by the American Heart Association.

Tyson, based in Springdale, Ark., said any claims the company makes are regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and that it does not use antibiotics to promote growth.

"We only use antibiotics to treat flocks that have been diagnosed with disease," Nicholson said.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/s...n-lawsuit.html

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-29-2002, 11:20 AM

I love the PCRM!
#3 Old 09-23-2003, 12:07 AM
Beginner

I know because I worked there. I saw the chickens come in. And, yes, they do sell diseased chicken 0 a lot of it. When I worked down there, I (along with all the other workers) was frequently getting sick from the chickens. You should have seen the way some of them looked. If they hadn't every one been given antibiotics, they would have been dead. Some of them were, anyway.

This company lies about everything. They are even on probation for their attempt at bribing a USDA inspector. They lie to OSHA and the INS, too. I even have testimony from an undercover agent that investigated them and found evidence of drug smuggling at the highest level. This company is the embodiment of evil corporate greed and I work every day to do what I can to bring them down.

I have read your other expose posts on them, Michael. Keep them coming. There are sure enough illegal, unethical, and immoral practices to keep them in the news if anyone were to do a little digging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

This is hilarious, in the last sentence Tyson admits to selling diseased chickens. Yum yum give me some!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/s...n-lawsuit.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2005, 05:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow. I wish I had known this stuff when I lived in Corydon, IN. (The same town where I said I saw Chicken Run. I wish I had been more conscious then. At least when I lived there I decided that I would NEVER work at a place like that unless it was standing between my children and homelessness and starvation. I would see the chicken trucks to by my apartment (I used to live on the main drag) or be behind them driving and felt pity for them, just not enough to really stop and think. Blah.

How gross.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page