• 5 Post By eat_fruit
  • 1 Post By wedigfood
  • 1 Post By veghead721
  • 1 Post By veggie man

#1 Old 10-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

A Start-up Has Invented Veggie Burgers That ‘Bleed’

Quote:
A biochemist named Patrick Brown has come up with yet another alternative strategy to produce entirely meatless hamburgers that look and taste very much like meat. That's one above, looking sufficiently burgerlike; it's even got that pristine medium-rare thing going on. Patties now being made by Brown's Impossible Foods are suffused with something called heme, it turns out, a molecule that comes from the roots of nitrogen-fixing plants but has the iron-tinged character of hemoglobin. "I remember this is what it felt like to get punched in the face," Brown tells the Wall Street Journal, relating the instant he realized that the vegan substance could be used to simulate the role most traditionally played by blood in a bloody rare hamburger. Now Impossible Foods has $75 million in venture capital, including cash from Bill Gates and Google Ventures.
Read the rest here: http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/10/impossible-foods.html

WTF?! Would you eat this?

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Ewwwww
#3 Old 10-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Disgusting but hey - if that's what someone needs to go veggie, I'm OK with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, hell no!
veggie man likes this.
#5 Old 10-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Why is rare burger even a thing? Isn't that really dangerous? I understand the veggie version wouldn't be but yech
#6 Old 10-09-2014, 08:18 PM

I don't have a problem with it looking like meat. I do have a problem with what's in veggie burgers that are meant to look and taste like meat, so it's for that reason I wouldn't eat it.
#7 Old 10-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

That's so ****ing gross.
cobalamin and veggie man like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#8 Old 10-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

I did like burgers rare before I mentally connected them with dead animals that shouldn't have ever been bred to be killed.
I'm not only disgusted by this, but doubting that anyone would want that if they're veg'n for ethical reason. If they're eating veg'n for health, could these be healthy?

Don't beets "bleed" enough?

I couldn't even eat seiten for a couple of years after going veg. That was too close. Still can't touch Beyond Meat (chicken, I kinda liked the spicy ground stuff on Mexican pizza!)
#9 Old 10-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a start up I'm more interested in that a commentor linked:

http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/10/am...r-chicago.html
#10 Old 10-11-2014, 11:19 AM
The prowling wolf

As a vegetarian I am personally uninterested in eating anything that remotely resembles meat..
veggie man likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#11 Old 10-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Oryzatarian

Fascinating, I had no idea hemoglobins are found in the root nodules of leguminous plants. I always assumed the red stuff I've seen in them was something more... planty. I'd expect the betanins (from beets, et al.) to be healthier tho, I wonder if pH was a problem or if theyre really just after the 'almost blood' factor.

I can see the usefulness of this product for people with heart disease or diabetes who are being encouraged to switch to vegan. I wouldnt eat it tho, its junk food.

At least the burger doesnt scream when you bite it.
#12 Old 10-11-2014, 06:44 PM

I never tried any rare cooked meat so I'm not really jumping at the chance to eat it, but if it's vegan and someone put it infront of me then why not.

We are all 269
Animal, Earth and Human Liberation!
#13 Old 10-11-2014, 07:08 PM

I miss this place. I scroll down and see people disgusted at simulated meat because they're used to not eating it and I agree!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#14 Old 10-18-2014, 12:30 PM

Brilliant! not the product, the discussion.

I agree with most in not liking the look of it myself it doesn't need to look like a carcass for me to want to eat it quite the opposite.

But hey, if it helps people follow the path towards enlightenment then I am all for it being out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LedBoots and leedsveg like this.
#15 Old 10-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds interesting. I don't crave hamburgers at all, but I would try it.

The heme sounds interesting -- I wonder if it can be absorbed as a source of iron? Heme iron is generally better absorbed than non-heme iron, so it sounds promising as a potential fix for iron deficiency in vegetarians and vegans.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#16 Old 10-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
It sounds interesting. I don't crave hamburgers at all, but I would try it.

The heme sounds interesting -- I wonder if it can be absorbed as a source of iron? Heme iron is generally better absorbed than non-heme iron, so it sounds promising as a potential fix for iron deficiency in vegetarians and vegans.
That is a great point! I'd like to know more about that too.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#17 Old 10-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

I've been a vegetarian for almost 10 years, I don't need bloody food. I would always order my meat well done as an omni.

LedBoots likes this.
#18 Old 10-27-2014, 11:51 AM

I like seeing chunks of black beans, sweet potato, carrot, etc in my burger. It reminds me of what I'm actually eating. I don't need any mysteries.
#19 Old 11-05-2014, 02:59 PM

The question for me, is this healthy? It is vegan but is there nutritional value. I always try to eat the least processed food with the most nutrition. Although this was made without slaughtering an animal so that is a big plus. Not to sound too over the top but in the long run it is also important to know its carbon footprint.
veghead721 likes this.
#20 Old 11-06-2014, 07:23 AM

This makes me cringe to think about eating, but as mentioned above, if it helps someone transition to veganism then it is great. I'm not a fan of processed fake meats now, but during my first months as a vegan, I certainly enjoyed Field Roast sausages among a few other faux meat products. They were helpful at a time when coming up with creative vegan meals was a challenge.
wedigfood likes this.
#21 Old 11-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat_fruit View Post
I like seeing chunks of black beans, sweet potato, carrot, etc in my burger. It reminds me of what I'm actually eating. I don't need any mysteries.
Amen brother. I like my veggie burger to look and taste like veggies.

I wouldn't touch that revolting vampire patty with a ten foot pole!
wedigfood likes this.
#22 Old 11-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Makes veganism look bad. Those companies should be ashamed of themselves for making those products.
#23 Old 11-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

How is it any worse than this "bloody" burger? http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarte...r-beet-burger/
#24 Old 11-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I remember I did prefer my burgers rare when I was omni. I'm happy with the veggieburgers on the market now, though- I think they taste just as good as I remember meat burgers tasting. (Still not gonna take a bite of a meat burger just to do a real taste test.)

Going by the above posts, I think my response belongs in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread. I admit the bloody appearance is gross, but a juicy veggieburger might be a useful aid for an aspiring veg who's having stubborn meat cravings. Just so long as this burger is healthy and cruelty-free, why not?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in