Is Canada biased against vegan and vegetarian ‘meat’ alternatives? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By ilikekale
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By ilikekale
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl

#1 Old 09-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Is Canada biased against vegan and vegetarian ‘meat’ alternatives?

Quote:
A company that makes vegan-friendly, meat-free products like “meatloaf” and Italian “sausages” says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s (CFIA) regulations show “fundamental bias” against plant-based meat substitutes.

Field Roast, based in Seattle, was recently forced to cease distribution in Canada after the CFIA determined their products did not meet Canadian labelling standards. According to a blog post on Field Roast’s website, the CFIA wants the company to label their products as “simulated meat,” but even then they’d have to satisfy Canadian requirements for that designation.

The company’s product line includes loafs, sausages and deli slices designed to look like familiar meat products but made only with plant-based ingredients. Products are labelled “vegetarian grain meat” rather than “simulated meat,” which the CFIA does not find to be adequate.

The government requires simulated meat products to attain a specific Protein Efficiency Ratio — a calculation that looks at both the quantity and quality of protein in a product. To make that calculation, the CFIA assigns different values to different protein sources, whether they be beef or tofu. The problem is, the CFIA doesn’t have a value calculated for Field Roast’s main protein source: wheat gluten.
Read the rest here: http://o.canada.com/life/food-drink/...es-field-roast

This is so disappointing! I love Field Roast, I hope the Canadian government gets their heads out of their asses soon.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Well that's nutty. You can drive right over the bleeder here to Bellingham, we have abundant supplies of Field Roast.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 09-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Well that's nutty. You can drive right over the bleeder here to Bellingham, we have abundant supplies of Field Roast.
Yeah, and smuggle it back into Canada under your trench coat.

"Hey, buddy... Wanna buy a roast?"

Ken
River likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2014, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikekale View Post
Yeah, and smuggle it back into Canada under your trench coat.

"Hey, buddy... Wanna buy a roast?"

Ken
Haha, that's a good way to earn some extra money. I'll be a black market Field Roast dealer.
River likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 09-21-2014, 02:01 AM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Haha, that's a good way to earn some extra money. I'll be a black market Field Roast dealer.
Yeah, just on the side, between movies/shows.

I wonder what the Canadian penalty is for smuggling a Field Roast? They make you eat a hot dog?

Ken
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#6 Old 09-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikekale View Post
Yeah, just on the side, between movies/shows.

I wonder what the Canadian penalty is for smuggling a Field Roast? They make you eat a hot dog?

Ken
I hope not!

I get paid this week and I am definitely stocking my freezer full of Field Roast products while I still can. Hopefully this is just a temporary setback and they'll work something out soon.

#7 Old 09-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow I used to think Canada's government was spot on with a bunch of things (not gun rights though). However, I guess they are just as stupid as America when it comes to making laws.

#8 Old 09-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Here's another article on this issue, I'm most upset about Canada's stance on animal testing: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...mals-1.2781491

Seriously, WTF? I'm kind of ashamed of my country right now...

I did stock up on sausages though, and I'm going to keep hoarding more until they run out.
River likes this.

#9 Old 09-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Bracing for snow

That is just too stupid for words....

Hoard away, Natalie!

Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page