US Farmers Ditch Tobacco For Chickpeas As Cigarette Sales Decline, Hummus Sales Rise - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Tom

#1 Old 09-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

US Farmers Ditch Tobacco For Chickpeas As Cigarette Sales Decline, Hummus Sales Rise

Quote:
Hummus is conquering America. At least that’s what several farmers deep in the heart of tobacco country tend to believe. As tobacco sales are slowly decreasing due to regulation, lack of commercialization, and an overall focus on a healthier lifestyle, farmers are looking for a new crop to supplement their declining income.

Exit tobacco. Enter chick peas.

Hummus has been rapidly on the incline as a preferred condiment in the United States. It has become fashionable among celebrities such as Katy Perry and Justin Timberlake, and overall awareness is growing. No less than 26% of Americans say they have it in their refrigerators and 70% are familiar with the product. Consumer spending on hummus has reached $1 billion a year, after growing some 18% a year over the past five years *- six times faster than the overall growth of the American food market.
Read the rest here: http://mapachili.com/?p=773

This is the best news I've heard all day!
Tom, Blobbenstein and mybell like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 PM
Beginner

Oh this is awesome.

Now if only chickpea curry could rise in popularity a little more...
#3 Old 09-19-2014, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Funny!

My husband's dairy loving and meat eating omnivore family had never heard of hummus until I brought some homemade stuff to their house and they tried it. I have never seen anyone devour something so quickly lol. I think I got them addicted to it.

I can imagine all the people who are quitting smoking running to buy hummus as a withdrawal coping mechanism lol.
Tom likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-19-2014, 04:45 AM

I just wrote and article about the very same thing with 2 recipes for hummus . . Spicy Black Bean and Traditional Chickpea. Hummus is so wonderful and healthy (especially when your dipping veggies). It's great that the tobacco farms are turning into chickpea farms. Here's the link for my article/recipes and a pic .

http://mybell.hubpages.com/hub/Healt...ional-Chickpea
#5 Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Hummus- Alive With Pleasure!

Hummus Country! (Cue the theme music from "The Magnificent Seven"...)

Come To Where The Hummus Is!

Okay, now all we need is some billboards showing photogenic people messily devouring hummus. We'll get the remaining 30% of people who don't know about this food yet...
Werewolf Girl likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page