Too Much Meat Production, Says Worldwatch Institute - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Werewolf Girl

#1 Old 09-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Too Much Meat Production, Says Worldwatch Institute

Quote:
The world is eating too much meat, and that’s bad news for the earth’s forests, arable land, and scarce water. That’s the conclusion of a report released yesterday by the Washington-based Worldwatch Institute.

Global production of meat hit a new high of 308.5 million tons last year, up 1.4 percent, according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the report notes. “In response to growing purchasing power, urbanization, and changing diets, meat production has expanded more than fourfold over just the last five decades. Even more startlingly, meat production has grown 25-fold since 1800,” says a news release accompanying the report, entitled “Peak Meat Production Strains Land and Water Resources.”

While average consumption of meat in 2013 reached 42.9 kilograms per capita, many people still consume far less, which means production growth is unlikely to stall soon. People in developing countries are eating less than half the quantity of meat consumed by those in developed nations—33.7 kg. as compared to 75.9 kg., the report points out.
Read the rest here: http://www.businessweek.com/articles...atch-institute

This probably isn't news to a lot of people here but I am glad to see that it's in Business Week and so hopefully more people will read it and rethink their eating habits...
Capstan, Naturebound and seedgirl like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2014, 04:32 PM

I'm glad to see this in mainstream media now. Unfortunately, I doubt many people will do anything about it until they're forced to because of severely limited resources. One can always hope, and it's always better to try. Just like any other social issues, the more used to an idea people are, the more it becomes accepted.
#3 Old 09-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Part-Time Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedgirl View Post
I'm glad to see this in mainstream media now. Unfortunately, I doubt many people will do anything about it until they're forced to because of severely limited resources. One can always hope, and it's always better to try. Just like any other social issues, the more used to an idea people are, the more it becomes accepted.
True dat. Always happens. It's not an issue until it's so bad a problem it can barely be contained. It's like being bit by a brown recluse and going to the hospital AFTER a hole has dissolved into your skin, your bone can be seen, and your four seconds away from death.

Born in Mississippi, lives in Mississippi, Loves Vegemite
Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

For some reason everyone thinks I'm weird...

Languages: English both Brit and American.
русский
Deutsch
Español
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Beginner

Cool that business week ran it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page