Monsanto Suspends Biotech Wheat Program - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Mo - Biotech crop pioneer Monsanto Co. (MON.N: Quote, Profile, Research) yesterday suspended plans to introduce what would be the world's first biotech wheat, bowing to a storm of protest from around the world over the company's scientific tinkering with a key food crop.

Monsanto said it had reached the decision after "extensive consultation" with customers in the wheat industry and would continue to monitor the desire for crop improvements to determine "if and when" it might be practical to move forward.

"It was a lot of things coming together at once," said Monsanto spokesman Chris Horner, who cited declining spring wheat acreage as well as dissent among wheat growers and buyers as factors in the decision.

St. Louis-based Monsanto has been doing field tests of Roundup Ready wheat, which has been genetically modified to tolerate applications of Monsanto's Roundup herbicide, for six years at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars.

The company already has commercialized Roundup Ready corn and soybeans, key feedgrains and had hoped to spread its herbicide-resistant technology into the vast wheat-growing industry, starting in the United States and Canadian markets.

But the company's efforts have ignited an outpouring of opposition by environmentalists, farmers, consumers and religious groups, as well as foreign wheat buyers. Concerns include worries about possible human health hazards, increased weed resistance and fears Monsanto is gaining control over key world crops.

Opponents heralded Monsanto's decision.

"Monsanto has correctly read the winds of public opinion and farmers and consumers," said Ronnie Cummins, national director of the U.S. Organic Consumers Association. "The crops that are in the pipeline are not going to be able to be introduced without a tremendous amount of debate and civil strife."

Wheat industry leaders, who said biotechnology could lead to improved profitability for struggling wheat growers, warned Roundup Ready wheat could devastate exports of all U.S. and Canadian wheat.

Foreign buyers, including top U.S. spring wheat buyer Japan, said they were unwilling to risk alienating their own customers by accepting biotech wheat supplies.

"This is a major acknowledgment by Monsanto ... it will be very hard to market in the near future biotech products designed for human consumption," said Greg Jaffe, of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. "All the other products have primarily gone to animal feed."

Read the rest at:

http://www.planetark.com/avantgo/dai...m?newsid=25070
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Talked about here too: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=18250

It's too bad I guess. Because of misguided activists they now have to use more land to grow fewer crops. Oh well, I'm sure the tides will change eventually as more people learn the benefits of science. //
#3 Old 05-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

#5 Old 05-11-2004, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

#6 Old 05-11-2004, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

The problem is that the long term effects are still a mystery.
#7 Old 05-11-2004, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay, GM foods begone!!
#8 Old 05-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's another one:

http://us.oneworld.net/article/view/85814/1/

Try actually reading the articles, kpickell.
#9 Old 05-12-2004, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Talked about here too: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=18250

It's too bad I guess. Because of misguided activists they now have to use more land to grow fewer crops. Oh well, I'm sure the tides will change eventually as more people learn the benefits of science. //

I'm more than happy to learn about the

B enefits of S cience, but what Monsanto offers is generally just BS. There are other ways to use the land efficiently without using GM crops (the effects of which are unkown).

As for misguided, those would be the saps who buy into Monsanto's "feed the world" baloney. Monsanto is NOT looking out for anyone's interest but their own.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 05-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh I'm sure Monsanto's number one concern is profit. They're definetely not a chartible organization. I just think GMOs have great potential and we need more research into the field.
#11 Old 05-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a more reasonable stance, kpick.
#12 Old 05-13-2004, 05:02 PM

Yeah, I can get on board the idea of further research. From your earlier post, I expected you to begin using the phrase "wave of the future". ack ack

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#13 Old 05-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Yeah, I can get on board the idea of further research. From your earlier post, I expected you to begin using the phrase "wave of the future". ack ack

This is a tangent I know, but a company called Prodigene has been bio-engineering plants to replicate animal based proteins and enzymes (such as producing insulin in corn stalks).

This of course means the future of animal dependency will be greatly diminished and possibly the cost of medication will be greatly reduced.

http://www.prodigene.com/0201.htm
#14 Old 05-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

This is a tangent I know, but a company called Prodigene has been bio-engineering plants to replicate animal based proteins and enzymes (such as producing insulin in corn stalks).

This of course means the future of animal dependency will be greatly diminished and possibly the cost of medication will be greatly reduced.

http://www.prodigene.com/0201.htm

interesting..now if they can just get hemme based iron into those plants, anyone who had a problem with anemia would be given more options again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page