Residents Told Not To Be Alarmed by Mourning Cows - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A lot of “strange noises” were coming from the Sunshine Dairy Farm in Newbury, Massachusetts, earlier this week, causing some alarm among nearby residents. Concerned phone calls came into the police department between midnight and 7AM reporting “inhuman” sounds, but callers were told not to worry – they were just the moans from mourning cows who recently had their baby calves taken away from them.

Newbury police Sgt. Patty Fisher said that it’s the annual separation of cows and calves, and the cries and moans are all part of the process. “It happens every year at the same time,” she said.

The concerned phone calls over the sounds prompted Sgt. Fisher to post a message on the police station’s Facebook page:

“Residents in the area of Sunshine Dairy Farm may notice loud noises coming from the dairy cows at all hours of the day and night. We’ve been informed that the cows are not in distress and that the noises are a normal part of farming practices.”

“Not in distress”? These cows carried their babies in their womb, gave birth to them, and then had them taken away from them. Now their milk, which was intended for their calf, is going to be pumped away for human consumption while their calf is destined for either a similar fate of a dairy cow if it’s a girl, or a short life of confinement while it’s fattened up and immobilized for a future veal dinner, if it’s a boy. All those moans and cries AREN’T a sign of distress? ON WHAT PLANET?

Read the rest here: http://www.ecorazzi.com/2013/10/26/residents-told-not-to-be-alarmed-by-mourning-cows/

This is seriously the saddest story I've read in a long time. Please share this and spread the word about what dairy cows go through, most people have no idea about the true cost of milk. bigcry.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-29-2013, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Couldn't agree with you more Werewolf Girl. A very sad story that needs to be brought to everybody's attention.

Lv

#3 Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 AM

And yet so many will read this and still drink a glass of milk, or adorn their cereal with it.

-North
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-31-2013, 06:12 PM

Found the original report and shared it on the parenting forum where I hang out. I think some of them think I've gone mad since I've cut out dairy so maybe it will get some of the Mums thinking.

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#5 Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Just going to post the link to the story here, incase anyone else wants to share it.

The 'actual' report is here.

It's really a lesson in perspectives when you read both stories.

#6 Old 11-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular

This is why it infuriates me with those "Got Milk"? Ads They think their being cute.... meanwhile I know who doesn't got milk ....
#7 Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

Just going to post the link to the story here, incase anyone else wants to share it.

The 'actual' report is here.

It's really a lesson in perspectives when you read both stories.

"“Residents in the area of Sunshine Dairy Farm may notice loud noises coming from the dairy cows at all hours of the day and night. We’ve been informed that the cows are not in distress and that the noises are a normal part of farming practices.”

That part was INFURIATING. It may be a "normal" part of farming practices but that doesn't make it ethical, and how can they say the cows are not in distress when they CLEARLY are? mad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

This is why it infuriates me with those "Got Milk"? Ads They think their being cute.... meanwhile I know who doesn't got milk ....

Exactly. As hard as it is we have to remember that most people really have no idea that this is what happens so they can have dairy, I know I didn't have a clue and was horrified when I found out. All people ever see are cute ads about strong bones and happy cows.That's why it's important to share share share.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#8 Old 11-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

"“Residents in the area of Sunshine Dairy Farm may notice loud noises coming from the dairy cows at all hours of the day and night. We’ve been informed that the cows are not in distress and that the noises are a normal part of farming practices.”

That part was INFURIATING. It may be a "normal" part of farming practices but that doesn't make it ethical, and how can they say the cows are not in distress when they CLEARLY are? mad.gif

Yeah, that's something I'm learning every time I read another story about animals....

"Normal" or "standard practices" don't equal "ethical" or "humane" practices.

I think the best idea (and really it was Joan Kennedy who got me thinking about it) is for there to be more studies into how cows feel about all of this. We can measure their emotions, or close enough to, so if they could find out whether the cows are actually feeling distressed (and for how long they feel distressed) following the removal of their babies.

I've heard of the story about the cow who had a calf, the baby was taken away from her, but for a number of days she was still without milk. They found a second calf, that she'd actually had hidden and had been feeding. More stories like that? There won't be enough 'Got Milk' ads in the world to convince people.

#9 Old 11-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

People don't get that animals are sentient beings like us and feel pain and mourn loss just like we do.  I remember when I was a kid we went deep sea fishing off the coast of Galviston, Texas.  I was just a little kid.  I was feeling upset that everyone was catching fish except me.  Then when I finally caught one, I saw how much I hurt it and I cried.  For years my family told that as a supposedly humorous story about the little boy who cried over a fish.  However, looking back I understand that my reaction was authentic.  I hadn't learned the adult ways of being callous toward suffering.  I saw real pain and the loss of life that I had inflicted and I reacted accordingly. 

#10 Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM

Just another act of the dairy industry to brainwash the public into thinking everything is okay. Every time I see a milk commercial I cringe at the pure ignorance that it is centered around.
#11 Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Normal farming practices...just part of the process....there, there, just hold your ears and forget about it all...

This is a deeply disturbing story. 

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#12 Old 11-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Normal farming practices...just part of the process....there, there, just hold your ears and forget about it all...

This is a deeply disturbing story. 

Agreed. sad.gif

#13 Old 11-06-2013, 04:08 PM

How people can read about things like this and not be moved to at least advocate for better treatment is beyond me?

The got milk? ads can be annoying but the one's that really annoy me are the "Happy cows from california" ones

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page