NBC cancels hunting show after NRA lobbyist shoots elephant in face, compares critics to Hitler - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
It was a series of bad decisions.

First, someone at NBC Sports thought it was a good idea to partner with the National Rifle Association on a sponsorship for a big game trophy hunting show called Under Wild Skies. Then they decided it'd be good to show Tony Makris, an NRA lobbyist, shoot an elephant in the face three times. And to make it worse, they showed the hunter and guide drink celebratory champagne while talking about the "specialness" of bringing the ivory back to camp.

And after blogs like Deadspin reposted the hunting clip, outrage naturally spread online, including a petition for NBC to cancel the program. Despite the pressure, NBC Sports initially announced they were not going to cancel the show, but would instead no longer air this particular episode.

Only after Makris defended his elephant hunting by bizarrely comparing his critics to Hitler, someone at NBC with some sense decided to pull the plug and canceled the show.

Read the rest here: http://www.treehugger.com/endangered-species/nbc-cancels-trophy-hunting-show-after-nra-lobbyist-shoots-elephant.html

...What? How could something this dumb and horrible even happen? You have to be a special kind of clueless to greenlight a show like this at all when elephant poaching is such a sensitive topic right now. inquisitive.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I can't honestly believe this stuff is allowed to happen and be shown in my day ._. It's embarassing.

I bet they are still getting angry emails by the thousands.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page