Chickens Airlifted To Retirement - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Their egg-laying days behind them, some 1,200 Northern California chickens are heading for a cozy retirement on the East Coast, where they will live outside of cages and have plenty of room to spread their wings.

The Sacramento Bee reports (http://bit.ly/177fN36) that an anonymous $50,000 donation is funding Operation Chicken Airlift, which will send the hens on a cross-country cargo flight to upstate New York on Wednesday evening.

From there the white Leghorn chickens will be ferried to different sanctuaries. Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary in New York, where 200 of the birds will end up, is providing perches, grass and even a wooded area where they can roam.

Laying hens are generally too lean for human consumption and are usually slaughtered after they stop providing eggs.

Video in link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/operation-chicken-airlift_n_3869684.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

What a sweet story! I'm grateful there are compassionate people in the world who can provide these chickens with a good, safe home even if so many others don't get the same. By leading by example maybe they will teach others to view these birds as sentient beings and more than just food.
ajswara likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

With all the horrible news lately it's nice to have a feel good story like this once in a while. I'm so happy that those chickens are finally getting the life that they deserve, happy and healthy.

Of course 1200 chickens is a drop in the ocean compared to the ones who aren't so fortunate, but as you say, perhaps leading by example will help us see more of these stories in the future. Also maybe it'll get some people who watch this story to think about what happens to most chickens when they stop producing eggs, something which most people don't ever stop to think about.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#3 Old 09-07-2013, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I put this story up on Facebook with the same exact hopes, that it would make someone just 'think' a little more about chickens. I also listed all the things they could do to help chickens from cutting eggs out completely, to going free-range or cutting down on eggs.

It's the enormous numbers of chickens that have to go through this, that I think will really jolt some people into reconsidering their part in all of this. 

Really great story though, something good has to come of it!

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

I put this story up on Facebook with the same exact hopes, that it would make someone just 'think' a little more about chickens. I also listed all the things they could do to help chickens from cutting eggs out completely, to going free-range or cutting down on eggs.

It's the enormous numbers of chickens that have to go through this, that I think will really jolt some people into reconsidering their part in all of this. 

Really great story though, something good has to come of it!

Thank you for sharing on Facebook! The more people see it the better. smiley.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page