McDonald's Debuts Vegetarian Wraps In Canada, Branch's First Meat-Free Entrees In A Decade - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-31-2013, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/28/mcdonalds-vegetarian-wraps_n_3832190.html?utm_hp_ref=green

I'm happy about this because I'm always happy when omnivores are encouraged to eat more veggie food but I have a few misgivings.

First it's McDonalds, it's just always going to be gross to me and I suspect many people feel the same way. Second, I don't think vegetarians are their target audience here although I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing. And the biggest thing is that they seem to be advertising it as healthy when it really isn't much healthier than one of their burgers, it would be nice if they were more up front about it.

Still, this is huge since McDonalds is so inescapable everywhere, millions of people eat there so all those people will be given more veggie options and hopefully a lot of them will try it and realize they can enjoy some convenient junk food without always having to have meat in it.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2013, 03:14 AM

I wonder if this Will eventually come to UK. I do get very frustrated living in the UK for many reasons. But we always seem to get things so long after Canada and the US. Even down to medical information.
#3 Old 08-31-2013, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw this on the VegNews Facebook. It had over 300 comments, many negative. Makes me sad that more veg*ns aren't more supportive. We want people to choose veg options but if they don't see veg options on the menu they won't choose them.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-31-2013, 08:45 AM

It's a step in the right direction, but it's really hard for me to personally endorse it. Some people would say that purchasing these veg options lets big companies know that there's money to be made from pandering to the veg community, but McDonald's is a corporate machine that uses aggressive marketing towards children and all sorts of false advertising and basically defecates on everyone's health. I still don't feel that I'm eating something that embodies my values (well it has cheese, but I wouldn't eat it even if it were vegan), and no amounts of my activist dollars will ever make them change their attitude.

Anyway, it feels really hypocritical to recommend something that I myself wouldn't eat. I guess I'd tell omnivores that it's better than meat, but I wouldn't say that it's good.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#5 Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniaraven View Post

I wonder if this Will eventually come to UK. I do get very frustrated living in the UK for many reasons. But we always seem to get things so long after Canada and the US. Even down to medical information.

I don't think it's really a case of us getting everything last - we've had the veggie burger for as long as I can remember, from the vegetable-type one to quorn fillets then back to the veg patty in a bun then a wrap etc...from what I could gather about the Canadian items, it's an issue of what they think will sell where. So we might not end up with these ever if there's no perceived need. I think?!

Like many here I dislike eating at McDonalds and only go in there if I'm in a social/travel situation where I really have to but I do like to see veg*n options on menus, so I'm pleased to see this. 

#6 Old 08-31-2013, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I think McD's is still to scared to offer anything veg in the US...

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#7 Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

I think McD's is still to scared to offer anything veg in the US...

I really wish they would. It is so sad that in the poorer neighborhoods, there are no fresh produce stands, or even chain grocery stores. There are small convenience stores with overpriced unhealthy foods, and fast food places. I wish the fast food places would offer healthier fare. :sigh:
#8 Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Beginner's Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I really wish they would. It is so sad that in the poorer neighborhoods, there are no fresh produce stands, or even chain grocery stores. There are small convenience stores with overpriced unhealthy foods, and fast food places. I wish the fast food places would offer healthier fare. :sigh:

Don't forget the liquor stores.  Food or no food, there are always liquor stores. 

I don't blame anyone for being scared to promote vegetarian diets in the U.S. -- I know so many people who are actively hostile towards the slightest suggestion.

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#9 Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm happy about meatless, but I'd be happy if McDonald's, which, no matter what, is disgusting would go out of business.:spew:

Werewolf Girl and Naturebound like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 09-01-2013, 09:22 AM

That's cool, but I wouldn't eat it, just cos.  blech.

The nasty could jump from the rest of the food onto the veggie wrap and contaminate it lol

I saw a program somewhere a while back that shows how all the Mcdonalds are different around the world and what they serve, this isnt the first time they've offered vegetarian options as a chain, but the closer it gets to America, the more fuss is made because I guess it's some sort of ... I don't even know how to put it, ingrained and almost religious love affair with meat in this country. 

#11 Old 09-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Are the wraps vegan or vegetarian? Just curious

#12 Old 09-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not interested but I agree with Werewolf Girl more veggie options smiley.gif
#13 Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Banned

Ill buy it. See no reason not to. I'm not an anti capitalist.
#14 Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Beginner's Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndulation View Post

Ill buy it. See no reason not to. I'm not an anti capitalist.

Fast food invented factory farming.  If capitalism is the belief that the abstraction of capital properly manages conditions on this earth, then I am against that belief.  If we were talking about government seizure of McDonald's property, then it would be different, but consumers choosing not to buy a product from a particular business because they don't like other practices by which they profit is well within the theory of a free market.

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#15 Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggiGirl View Post

Are the wraps vegan or vegetarian? Just curious

Both wraps have cheese. One has feta and one cheddar + Monterrey jack. Vegans still can't eat anything at Mcdonalds because not even their fries are vegan. sad.gif
#16 Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post

Both wraps have cheese. One has feta and one cheddar + Monterrey jack. Vegans still can't eat anything at Mcdonalds because not even their fries are vegan. sad.gif

Their fries are vegan in Canada actually, not that I'd want to eat there anyway. tongue3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#17 Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Werewolf Girl, this is something I've always hoped for the rest of the world and finally Mc-D has made a start. Maybe you guys can also write to your regional head-offices of fast food joints to make available an all-veg menu just like they have in India. McDonalds in India have separate kitchens for their vegan menu which is awesome, and everything is customisable, even cheese is only optional. I feel this would turn quite a few people into liking vegan diet. They have burger patties made out of potatoes/peas/carrots/beans and any combination thereof. The side orders are veggie puff and veggie nuggets which are light yet quite tasty and completely vegan. Since they already have the expertise of making it, bringing it to other countries would be effortless. If the demand is there one day we'll see the same all across the world and it'll be a landmark day to make everyone love vegan diet :)

Keep me updated.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#18 Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Agree with ElaineV - the mainstreaming of veggie options within *huge* meat-based businesses like McD is IMO a really constructive thing. Not only does the provision of veg options by such companies offer a meat-free choice for veggies and (importantly) veg-curious omni customers, but it also indicates that the increase in public interest in vegetarianism/vaganism must have made it financially worth their while to provide such options. Good news all round I'd have thought.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#19 Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-09-09/news/33697731_1_kfc-india-colonel-harland-sanders-vegetarian-food
Although, not a fan of Veg*n fast food... I'm very pleased to see more veggie options in the fast food chains ....
#20 Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Drool! Wish there was something like a  Veggie Zinger available in the UK! That used to be my very favourite take out EVAR!

I've done a home-made version with Sainsbury's southern fried 'Love Soya' chicken style fillets, which are actually pretty good, especially if you pop a hash brown in there and turn it into a veggie Zinger Tower Burger! ;) Been a while though, so not sure if they're egg-free, I'd guess probably not.

#21 Old 09-27-2013, 10:22 AM

They build their menu based on the country they are.

In India, where the cows are a holy animals, there are a lot of vegetarian options. Take a look here: http://www.mcdonaldsindia.net/burgers-and-wraps.aspx (the ones with the green dot are vegetarian)

Guess what they have in Italy? http://www.mcdonalds.it/products/menu/menu-insalate

#22 Old 09-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Being Vegan View Post

They build their menu based on the country they are.

In India, where the cows are a holy animals, there are a lot of vegetarian options. Take a look here: http://www.mcdonaldsindia.net/burgers-and-wraps.aspx (the ones with the green dot are vegetarian)

Guess what they have in Italy? http://www.mcdonalds.it/products/menu/menu-insalate

Looks like a lot of chicken and tuna?

#23 Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

Looks like a lot of chicken and tuna?

Yes... but you didn't see the most obvious one!

PASTA SALAD!!! (with tuna...)

#24 Old 09-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Being Vegan View Post

Yes... but you didn't see the most obvious one!

PASTA SALAD!!! (with tuna...)

Lol! Sorry yes, pasta ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page