Blackfish - anyone seeing it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

My local theatre is playing it Aug. 16th. Does anyone else have plans to see it?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'm definitely going to see it! I'm not sure if/where it's playing here but I'm going to look it up, at the very least I'll be buying it when it comes out on BluRay and sharing it with my friends.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 07-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Beginner

I'm going to watch it when it comes on CNN this fall. I'm also going to watch NBC's Dateline tonight at 12:30 because they'll be discussing Blackfish and Bill Maher will have a former SeaWorld trainer on this friday.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes I plan to see it aug 9th in Vegas
#5 Old 07-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies&Rainbows View Post

I'm going to watch it when it comes on CNN this fall. I'm also going to watch NBC's Dateline tonight at 12:30 because they'll be discussing Blackfish and Bill Maher will have a former SeaWorld trainer on this friday.

Ooo I might actually watch bill maher this week then.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#6 Old 07-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I just watched the trailer ....
http://www.magpictures.com/blackfish/mobile/
#7 Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Ooo I might actually watch bill maher this week then.

It sounds like it's going to be a really good episode. This trainer is now an outspoken advocate for captive marine mammals so I can't wait to see what he has to say. But then again I always watch Bill Maher grin.gif
#8 Old 07-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know that I have the heart to watch it.

I'm glad the film was made, and I hope that it raises sufficient awareness to change things.

#9 Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Banned

It is great how much media coverage this movie is getting. Was on all the news stations here and 20/20.
#10 Old 08-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Just saw it!
Definitely worth seeing.

I will add some details in a bit.
#11 Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Just saw it!
Definitely worth seeing.

I will add some details in a bit.

Ill be excited to read!! It doesn't open in my town until the 16th.

Quote:
#12 Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

OK, overall I felt the film was good but I think it could have been so much better.

Pluses: Informative, interesting, true. The sound quality was good. The actual story told in the film is so powerful that it makes up for all the faults of the film. It's definitely worth seeing and I will recommend it.

However, it felt a bit scattered. For example,

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

There is a scene where they're talking about how orcas are extremely social animals. They had just talked about how painful it must have been for mothers to have their babies stolen. They didn't sit with that emotion long enough though. Instead, they switched to a scene where a team of orcas worked together to kill a seal. It felt disjointed. The viewer starts to feel incredible compassion for the orcas and then that compassion shifts to the seal. From a story-telling perspective, that editing choice made no sense to me.

My main criticism: the powerful images / sounds didn't linger long enough to elicit strong emotion. I expected to cry during this film but I did not cry. I never even came close to crying.

I chose not to bring my son to see this film with me and that was absolutely a good choice. I think many young children would not understand the film very well and would come away just being frightened of orcas.

Ewe Nanny likes this.
#13 Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

OK, so now I've spoken to some others who saw the film too. My mom and my sister both did cry. They were particularly saddened by the section about mothers and babies.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The film shows how the babies are often removed from their mothers either when they were fist captured in the wild or when the babies were born in captivity. The mothers cry out for long periods in grief.

This is a section of the film that I felt should have been emphasized more. I think it should have lingered longer on this note. I think the music should have been more emotive, as well. I did not cry in that section. And the people I sat near did not cry either (I sat with four friends).

Talking to my mom, she said the film was great. And online, friends are saying the film was excellent. Some people were strongly moved. Everyone I've talked to about it learned something from the film.

My personal opinion: I felt like it was a good film. I recommend it. But I think it could have been better. I would have liked more info on the orcas - more science, more images, more about their social relationships and less about the trainers and their injuries. I felt like there wasn't enough of a call-to-action.

Also, I felt like it was a little scattered and disjointed. I left with a stronger feeling of fear of orcas than compassion for orcas and I don't think that's what the film-makers intended.

I should say - I already oppose animal captivity for entertainment, so that case did not need to be made for me. Perhaps because of that, my brain was focused on other things. I think people who like SeaWorld and have their "blinders" on would have a different reaction to the film (probably would start boycotting SeaWorld) and those people wouldn't be so critical of the same aspects I was critical of.

Overall - everyone should see it. But we need more of these types of films to really tell the whole story about these (and other) intelligent, complex animals and our relationship to them.

Ewe Nanny likes this.
#14 Old 08-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I am looking forward to seeing it. When corporate-controlled mainstream media are willing to question a huge entertainment player such as SeaWorld, you know the tide against at least this aspect of animal exploitation is stating to turn. 

Werewolf Girl and ElaineV like this.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#15 Old 08-24-2013, 05:24 PM

I wish they cast their net a little wider. The genocide of dolphins continues completely unabated...

#16 Old 08-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by unethicalvegan View Post

I wish they cast their net a little wider. The genocide of dolphins continues completely unabated...

That's a different movie.

Quote:
#17 Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

That's a different movie.

Yup. That movie is called The Cove.

Link to that movie: http://www.thecovemovie.com/

#18 Old 08-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

yes.gif yep.

Quote:
#19 Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:

The cove did not focus on bycatch:

http://www.wdcs.org/stop/bycatch/story_details.php?select=236

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/cetaceans/threats/bycatch/

#20 Old 08-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Still not relevant to Sea World and tilikum.

That's still a different movie.

Quote:
#21 Old 08-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Blackfish is a film about orcas in captivity. It is not a film about dolphins or other sea creatures. It's about using orcas for entertainment and how dangerous and cruel that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unethicalvegan View Post

The cove did not focus on bycatch

Well, bycatch was discussed in End Of The Line.

Preview:

You can watch the whole film on youtube right now:

#22 Old 08-27-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Blackfish is a film about orcas in captivity. It is not a film about dolphins or other sea creatures. It's about using orcas for entertainment and how dangerous and cruel that is.

Well, bycatch was discussed in End Of The Line.

Thanks, that looks very good.

#23 Old 09-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

News:

Quote:

The SeaWorld parks have seen a 6% decline in visitors during the first half of the year, although the cause of the downturn isn't entirely clear. SeaWorld rejects the notion that a documentary called "Blackfish," which is critical about the treatment of killer whales in captivity, had an impact on attendance, The Los Angeles Times reports.

http://money.msn.com/now/post--seaworld-suffers-a-visitor-drought

#24 Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I just watched this on CNN and was so disgusted. These whales belong in the wild not in tiny swimming pools. I felt so bad for them. And the tactics they use to train them is absoutely horrible. I've always hate seaworld but this even just made me hate it more. In the begging when they were showing them take the baby whale from the mother and the mother let out ashreik almost made me cry. :cry:

#25 Old 11-02-2013, 08:34 PM

Watched this documentary tonight and am so fueled with anger towards Sea World and any other organizations that exploit wild animals for profit. They need to go to hell. :mad:

#26 Old 12-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I have not watched this but I was reading the reviews on Netflix and it was great to see that people were truly shocked and upset by what is happening to the orcas. I wish society would care about factory farm animals the way many seemed to care for the orcas.
#27 Old 12-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

I have not watched this but I was reading the reviews on Netflix and it was great to see that people were truly shocked and upset by what is happening to the orcas. I wish society would care about factory farm animals the way many seemed to care for the orcas.

I agree, I think it's easier for people to connect with orcas because boycotting Seaworld doesn't mean they have to question their daily choices or make any big changes. It's safe to feel outraged about because very little work is involved.

Still, I don't want to seem ungrateful for the amount of support and attention Blackfish is receiving. Working toward ending whale captivity and widening our circle of compassion to include more species is a good step towards seeing that all animals deserve that compassion.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#28 Old 12-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

The whole Keiko thing is what brought me into AR in the first place, Tilly may be this generation's Keiko.

Quote:
#29 Old 12-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Banned

Blackfish is definitely worth watching (I cried).

#30 Old 12-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

Blackfish is definitely worth watching (I cried).

Me too, especially the part where the mom was crying after being separated from her calf. Terrible.
60225 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page