'Stop eating meat and save the planet' says United Nations - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Experts urged westerners to become "demi-tarians" by halving the amount of meat they eat.

A report for the UN Environment Programme said that pollution from fertilisers is threatening human health and the environment by causing phenomena such as toxic algal blooms.

It said that 80 per cent of the nitrogen and phosphorus used in fertilisers is consumed by livestock because it is used to grow the crops they eat.

The scientists, led by Professor Mark Sutton of the UK's Centre for Ecology & Hydrology, said eating smaller portions or having meat every other day would help slash pollution.

Europeans eat 35 per cent more protein than recommended by the World Health Organisation while Americans overeat it by 58 per cent - and most of it comes from meat.

Meanwhile regions such as Asia, and particularly, China, are increasingly eating meat as their economies develop.

Professor Mark Sutton, chairman of the International Nitrogen Initiative, said the West needs to set an example to help slow the world's growing reliance on meat.

He said: “To aim towards eating half of the amount of meat we are currently eating is a good starting point.

"We should aim to be demi-tarians - eating half the meat we have typically been eating."

We need to realise that over-eating is not healthy - not for the environment and not for ourselves.”

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/378484/Stop-eating-meat-and-save-the-planet-says-United-Nations

I think this is a great message! Of course I ultimately would like to see everyone stop eating meat entirely, but if it could be cut down by half that would be an amazing start and so many animals would be spared. After people get used to eating half as much meat it would have to be easier to stop eating it completely right? wink3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope some of the people at the climate rally yesterday get hold of this article.

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
-Leo Tolstoy

#3 Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 AM

With so many people practicing Meatless Monday and giving it up for Lent, I feel that plant based diets are getting more exposure.

And human beings are curious, they'll see if it's possible to live completely meatless and BAM! they're on VB. At least that's how I see it. (Trying not to be pessimistic)

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlock View Post

With so many people practicing Meatless Monday and giving it up for Lent, I feel that plant based diets are getting more exposure.

And human beings are curious, they'll see if it's possible to live completely meatless and BAM! they're on VB. At least that's how I see it. (Trying not to be pessimistic)

I think that's true of a lot of people, I know the veg*:Dn population has grown quite a bit in the past few years and I don't see that stopping any time soon.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Here are some excellent stats I just came across regarding this topic: http://www.alternet.org/story/134650/the_startling_effects_of_going_vegetarian_for_just_one_day

My blog and e-novel store:  www.JonathanMHemmings.com  
#6 Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlock View Post

It's what happened to me. :)

'IckenNoodleSoup likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#7 Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Beginner

Sounds pretty close to what happened to me too. 

I was curous, can I, as an athlete (I run and weight lift) actually do okay without meat.  I will give up meat and dairy for lent, see what happens.

Now lent is over and the thought of going back to eating meat and dairy makes my stomach turn.  I do fine, in fact better as a vegetarian athlete.  My joints don't  hurt as bad, which improved my performance. (I still eat eggs, but only a couple of times a week).  I wish everybody would try this! 

'IckenNoodleSoup likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page