Bullfighting banned in Barcelona - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Yippee!

Barcelona bans bullfighting

BARCELONA, Spain (AFP) - Barcelona became the first city in Spain to ban bullfighting after a massive campaign by animal rights activists against the "cruel practice".

Protests were held in the Catalan capital as councillors took the vote at city hall, with demonstrators waving placards declaring "Barcelona against bullfighting."

Animal rights groups had collected 250,000 signatures from around Europe which they handed in to Barcelona's city hall last month.

The petition was an initiative by the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) and Spanish animal rights groups, appalled at the killing of dozens of bulls each year at Barcelona's La Monumental bull ring.

While the bullfighting tradition remains popular in major Spanish cities, including the capital Madrid, it raises relatively scant interest in Catalonia, the region covering northeast Spain.

Campaigners are hoping now to convince the regional government in Catalonia to follow Barcelona's move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

#3 Old 04-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

This is AWESOME! Its things like this that really make you feel like you actually are making a change.. and we are.
#5 Old 04-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

This is the best news I've read all day. Hooray for everyone in The Struggle. We've all added ripples to the sentiment that has allowed this terrible practice to be discontinued.
#6 Old 04-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I can't describe how happy this makes me feel

Wonderful news!!
#7 Old 04-06-2004, 07:11 PM

Yes! Go Barcelona!

Suck on that matadors! (sorry, I'm just so excited)
#8 Old 04-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

source please
#9 Old 04-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

#10 Old 04-06-2004, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow!

Umm.. that's about all I can say to that. I'm impressed.
#11 Old 04-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedog View Post

Yahoo news - http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...lfighting_dc_1

Quote:
Barcelona has become the first city in Spain to declare its opposition to bullfighting in a move hailed by animal rights activists, but the vote in the city council Tuesday will not mean it is banned.

Quote:
However, bullfighting, more popular in southern Spain than in cosmopolitan Barcelona, will not be banned in the city because that decision rests with regional authorities, Cadena Ser said.

So it's not quite banned, but getting closer!
#12 Old 04-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

oops . . . I guess I got too excited to realize that. But stilll a step in the right direction.

Just tried to figure out how that happened. . . I guess the Yahoo article that I posted wasn't complete and I didn't look at the new link I sent. Sorry!
#13 Old 04-06-2004, 09:50 PM

#14 Old 04-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I read it earlier on yahoo.com.. I was like this a joke, no crap, lol Shocking more than anything, but im really glad, one less thing in this world to hurt and torture animals to a slow death.
#15 Old 04-06-2004, 10:09 PM

Yay! I too, saw the subject line and thought there must've been some mistake.

Go Barcelona!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#16 Old 04-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

As popular as Bullfighting is in Spain, I wouldn't bet on any ban happening anytime soon. And I hardly think some protest by activists will cause a ban anytime soon. It's just too popular by the voting majority... and the voting majority is who decides election outcomes.

Ok, 250,000 signatures huh? Of course, those signatures were from all over the place, not just Barcelona. I have to ask, why would ANY city, or government official heading into an election, give a rat's ass what some activist in another city or country thinks? Unless the candidate's position on this topic harms their chances of getting elected or harms revenues, I would think they really won't care about some petition from those not in a position to elect them to office. Would you? I certainly wouldn't. I would focus on what the VOTERS want.
#17 Old 04-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

acck.. bullfighting... I can see your point robert.. I just wanted to say... ack bullfighting..
#18 Old 04-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Ok, 250,000 signatures huh? Of course, those signatures were from all over the place, not just Barcelona. I have to ask, why would ANY city, or government official heading into an election, give a rat's ass what some activist in another city or country thinks? Unless the candidate's position on this topic harms their chances of getting elected or harms revenues, I would think they really won't care about some petition from those not in a position to elect them to office. Would you? I certainly wouldn't. I would focus on what the VOTERS want.

That came to my mind as well, and I agree Robert, but that doesn't change the fact that one city in Spain may soon be banning bull fighting. That's awesome news and very exciting! I never thought I'd see the day!

ETA: I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but Spain is a member of the European Union so therefore signatures from other European states should have a little weight to them.
#19 Old 04-07-2004, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Symbolic victory, but a rousing message sent none-the-less. Yay.
#20 Old 04-07-2004, 05:26 AM
Banned

When any city in Spain bans bullfighting, it is a sign that the times they are a changin'. Where is the running of the bulls held?
#21 Old 04-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Pamplona

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page