Vegetarian in Mumbai? Welcome to the meat-free neighbourhood - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1300420--vegetarian-in-mumbai-welcome-to-the-meat-free-neighbourhood
Quote:
NEW DELHI—Militant vegetarians in Mumbai first began keeping meat-eaters out of their apartment blocks a few years ago, pressuring residents’ associations to keep out carnivorous newcomers. Later, the restaurants in these neighbourhoods took meat off their menus for fear of offending vegetarian customers.

Now, the movement has gone a step further with grocery stores and supermarkets keeping meat and eggs off the shelves. Even sandwiches, salads or desserts that might contain egg or meat are not stocked.

Mumbai’s vegetarians aim to turn their neighbourhoods into vegetarian enclaves. In a supermarket in Malabar Hill — home to wealthy families, most of whom are staunchly vegetarian — none of these items is available.

“My customers began complaining,” said Neeraj Gupta, who runs a small supermarket in Malabar Hill. “They didn’t like having to walk past where the eggs were kept so I decided to take everything with eggs in it off my shelves. I’ve got to keep my customers happy.”

Known as India’s most cosmopolitan city, Mumbai has areas where global fast food joints such as Pizza Hut and McDonald’s have taken all meat items off their menus.

I want to go to there!!! This place sounds like heaven, I hope one day there are many many more all vegetarian communities like this. grin.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I know this was posted a little while ago, but it piqued my interest.

I wonder what the policy on having dairy around is? Or fish for that matter?

Exclusionism always sets off alarm bells though. For example:

Quote:

Last month, a controversial new school textbook on hygiene and health provoked a storm for claiming that vegetarians are morally superior to meat eaters.

The latter, the book said, “easily cheat, tell lies, forget promises, they are dishonest and tell bad words, steal, fight and turn to violence and commit sex crimes.”

In another section, it says: “The strongest argument that meat is not essential food is the fact that the Creator of this Universe did not include meat in the original diet for Adam and Eve. He gave them fruits, nuts and vegetables.”

The above was from the article linked in the original post. You know what I mean...?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page