Michael Vick Officially Admits to Owning Dog - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.ecorazzi.com/2012/10/11/michael-vick-admits-to-owning-dog/
Quote:
NFL football player Michael Vick has officially announced he does indeed own a dog.

Last week, we reported that Vick tweeted a photo implying he is now a proud dog owner, but had yet to comment. The photo showed a box of dog biscuits, which jump-started speculation.

Well, he finally released a statement saying, “I understand the strong emotions by some people about our family’s decision to care for a pet. As a father, it is important to make sure my children develop a healthy relationship with animals.

“I want to ensure that my children establish a loving bond and treat all of God’s creatures with kindness and respect. Our pet is well cared for and loved as a member of our family. This is an opportunity to break the cycle. To that end, I will continue to honor my commitment to animal welfare and be an instrument of positive change.”

As heartfelt as that sounds, some might have a hard time forgetting Vick’s actions regarding dog fighting and the killing of innocent creatures.

On the other hand, some might question if it should be held over his head for the rest of his life and that forgiveness is the answer, especially since he already served time in prison.

Opinions on this? I'm still really disturbed by the details of what he did but he's also well aware he's being watched by the media all the time, I think this dog will be safe. Who knows, maybe having a pet will teach his kids the compassion he didn't have.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Well child molesters arent told "well stay away from children for a few years and then you can start playing with kids again".
#3 Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Ankle Biter

I sure hope he fell in love with and adopted a homeless, senior, x-hunting hound dog from his nearest shelter. rolleyes.gif

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Beginner

People change. Dog fighting is as cruel as the meat industry, but eating meat is accepted by society. Isn't it hippocritical that people are outraged by dog fighting, but not by the piece of meat on their dinner plates?

If people can give up meat, because slaughter is wrong, why can't MV give up dog fighting, because he feels that it's wrong?
#5 Old 10-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalia View Post

People change. Dog fighting is as cruel as the meat industry, but eating meat is accepted by society. Isn't it hippocritical that people are outraged by dog fighting, but not by the piece of meat on their dinner plates?

No, dog fighting is actually a lot crueler, in the sense that there are things that Vick did that were engineered to cause pain and suffering.  The meat industry is cruel because that's the most profitable way to do it, not because someone is getting off on watching the torture.  I'm going to assume you haven't read the specifics of what Vick did (do you know anything about what he did with car batteries?).

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#6 Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If people can give up meat, because slaughter is wrong, why can't MV give up dog fighting, because he feels that it's wrong?

People aren't personally getting off on watching the animals they eat being tortured to death, and doing it themselves.  People who do - people who enjoy watching and causing suffering into death - I don't think they change.  Do you think Ted Bundy was going to change after he tortured all those women to death?  Do you think he could have said the right words to make people think he had?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#7 Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Beginner

What I'm saying is that I've seen some things done in the meat/dairy industry that have nothing to do with food production, but with abuse. Their whole lives are based on abuse. All abuse is terrible, and yes I did read about MV. Look, I'm not a fan of his, I'm not even into sports, so the only way I found out about him was by reading about the abuse scandal.

I have 2 dogs myself, and if anybody harmed my dogs, I would flip a switch in a second. I'm not defending anything he did. I don't even like him enough to spell out his name. But, I think that someone can grow up in a violent culture and change at some point. I hope he looked at what he did and was as disgusted as everybody else.

I've seen some "disgusting" humans change in my personal life, so nothing is impossible.
#8 Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

No, dog fighting is actually a lot crueler, in the sense that there are things that Vick did that were engineered to cause pain and suffering.  The meat industry is cruel because that's the most profitable way to do it, not because someone is getting off on watching the torture.  I'm going to assume you haven't read the specifics of what Vick did (do you know anything about what he did with car batteries?).

Forget momentarily whether Vick is a reformed man, are you claiming that the average omnivore is behaving in a morally distinguishable way from Vick?

#9 Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What I'm saying is that I've seen some things done in the meat/dairy industry that have nothing to do with food production, but with abuse.

There are sick individuals who enjoy hurting animals who work in the meat industry.  Vick is analogous to the guy who works on the farm who rapes a pig with a pipe, beats a mother pig, and squeezes a chicken so hard her innards come out (all has happened).  The meat industry itself is not designed as enjoyment for workers to hurt animals.  But there are sociopaths who work there who find special ways to abuse beyond production methods.

Quote:
yes I did read about MV.

remind me what he did with car batteries.

Quote:
I've seen some "disgusting" humans change in my personal life, so nothing is impossible.

Have you known child rapists and serial killers to change?  Do you know some?

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#10 Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantDream View Post

Forget momentarily whether Vick is a reformed man, are you claiming that the average omnivore is behaving in a morally distinguishable way from Vick?

Yeah, and at this moment (maybe later) I'm not even going to try to explain why because it should be obvious.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#11 Old 10-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Beginner

In our society, it's ok to grind up baby chicks alive, so that we can get our eggs. But when it comes to our pets, it's suddenly personal. The point I was trying to make is that to me all abuse is personal.

In regards to the car batteries, I read that he used them to execute the dogs in the most cruel way. Honestly, it doesn't matter how creative you get when it comes to abuse, it's just sick. The minute you kick an animal with the intention of kicking the animal, you are sick in my book.

Animal abuse happens daily and it's everywhere. People are not as sensitive to animal abuse as they are to human abuse, and that's why someone like MV can grow up killing and torturing dogs. He grew up watching those things being done to dogs, that was his "normal" life. It never occurred to him that it was wrong, because in his world, nobody questioned those actions.

So, when he says, that he sees things differently now, I want to believe him. I also hope that the humane society is still in touch with him and that his actions are being monitored.
#12 Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:

People aren't personally getting off on watching the animals they eat being tortured to death, and doing it themselves.  People who do - people who enjoy watching and causing suffering into death - I don't think they change.  Do you think Ted Bundy was going to change after he tortured all those women to death?  Do you think he could have said the right words to make people think he had?

I'm obsessed with serial killers. When you read their biographies, you see that in most cases they were exposed to human/animal abuse at a young age. You can also see how many serial killers suffered from abuse themselves and nobody was there to help them. So, yes I do think that they could have been helped. And I don't think that serial killers are born that way. Very interesting topic.
#13 Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm obsessed with serial killers. When you read their biographies, you see that in most cases they were exposed to human/animal abuse at a young age. You can also see how many serial killers suffered from abuse themselves and nobody was there to help them. So, yes I do think that they could have been helped. And I don't think that serial killers are born that way. Very interesting topic.

It seems likely that serial killers have some brain issues that go way beyond the way they were raised, and that being abused is not enough in itself to make a serial killer.  So after a few years in prison and doing some public service ads for women, you would trust Ted Bundy with someone you cared about?

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#14 Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

In our society, it's ok to grind up baby chicks alive, so that we can get our eggs. But when it comes to our pets, it's suddenly personal. The point I was trying to make is that to me all abuse is personal.

In regards to the car batteries, I read that he used them to execute the dogs in the most cruel way.

Consumers are not grinding up baby chicks themselves for fun and watching them die.

What cruel way exactly did he execute them with car batteries?

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:

It seems likely that serial killers have some brain issues that go way beyond the way they were raised, and that being abused is not enough in itself to make a serial killer.  So after a few years in prison and doing some public service ads for women, you would trust Ted Bundy with someone you cared about?

No, I would not have trusted Ted Bundy at that point. But I would have trusted him at a younger age, when he was troubled. Without going into detail, I've seen both. I've seen the ones who cannot be helped, but I have also seen the ones who truly change from within. And I've seen parents who close their eyes to their children's abnormal behaviors, because they fear social stigma or because they think those behaviors will just go away, like a bad case of flu.

I don't know the guy, I don't know his motivation. But I do know that if his dad had taken him to an animal shelter to volunteer instead of a dog fight, we most likely wouldn't be talking about MV abusing dogs.
#16 Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Beginner

Why are the car batteries so important? Is hanging the dogs not cruel enough? Is killing the dogs not cruel enough? Is it really that important how sick the methods he used were?
#17 Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, I would not have trusted Ted Bundy at that point.

Yeah, but Vick is at the end point that Ted Bundy was, with dogs.  So if you wouldn't trust Bundy with women, why would you trust Vick with dogs?

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#18 Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Why are the car batteries so important? Is hanging the dogs not cruel enough? Is killing the dogs not cruel enough? Is it really that important how sick the methods he used were?

Yeah, because I think a lot of people haven't really read about and seen the intentional suffering that Vick inflicted, and just assume that they know, and say 'yeah it was bad, and the meat industry is bad too, and there's no difference'...when there is a difference and they don't really know what they're talking about. 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#19 Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

Well child molesters arent told "well stay away from children for a few years and then you can start playing with kids again".

My first thought when I heard the story.

Now I know what Dalia and Irizary are both saying. Essentially at the end of the day it seems like you two are discussion the age old question: "Do people ever change?" (Not to mention touching on issues such as are certain people born killers? Bread that way? Or both?)

I don't think either of you will really come to an agree and will have to simply agree to disagree, but I do want to add another perspective to this thread.

First off, I want to say I really don't generally have that much faith in people. Yes, I do believe people CAN change, I just think they rarely do. So like Krispex said in the quote. Would you just a child molester with children after several years? (Let's say they had counselling, or maybe drugs to fix a problem in their brain causing their sick issues.) I think most people would think: "Gee, it's a good idea to trust him with a kid." I don't really care whether or not they have changed is it really worth the risk for that child or in this case the dog?

I also want to add another point that really makes me suspicious of Vick. “I understand the strong emotions by some people about our family’s decision to care for a pet. As a father, it is important to make sure my children develop a healthy relationship with animals."

Hmm... While that seems like a reasonable statement at first my question to Vick is this: "Why the dog?! Really after all this why a DOG! You could choose so many different animals to take on as pets so your children could develop a healthy relationship with animals so I repeat... Why the dog?! Don't you realize how people are going to view you? Don't you realize the position you're putting yourself in? What were you thinking?!" Even if Vick thinks he has changed, I'm very suspicious that deep down he is truly changed. He could have choose any animal, but he had to go with a dog.

If there is a "ex" child molester who used to only molest young boys. Would it really be appropriate if he decided he'd adopt a kid... But oh, it has to be a boy.

#20 Old 10-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaken_bacon View Post

While that seems like a reasonable statement at first my question to Vick is this: "Why the dog?! Really after all this why a DOG! You could choose so many different animals to take on as pets so your children could develop a healthy relationship with animals so I repeat... Why the dog?! Don't you realize how people are going to view you? Don't you realize the position you're putting yourself in? What were you thinking?!" Even if Vick thinks he has changed, I'm very suspicious that deep down he is truly changed. He could have choose any animal, but he had to go with a dog.

If there is a "ex" child molester who used to only molest young boys. Would it really be appropriate if he decided he'd adopt a kid... But oh, it has to be a boy.

It's almost a taunt, from someone who has literally, physically, personally tortured many of them to death in intentional and gruesome ways.  That's the kind of thing a sociopath does.

Animal lovers might say he's changed.  But they would never place a dog THEY love with him, which should tell you something.  So why should any dog have to be with him.  If you were a dog, would you want to be with Vick? 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#21 Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantDream View Post

Quote:

Yes, it is morally distinguishable from eating animals.

Quote:

In regards to the car batteries, I read that he used them to execute the dogs in the most cruel way. Honestly, it doesn't matter how creative you get when it comes to abuse, it's just sick. The minute you kick an animal with the intention of kicking the animal, you are sick in my book.

Animal abuse happens daily and it's everywhere. People are not as sensitive to animal abuse as they are to human abuse, and that's why someone like MV can grow up killing and torturing dogs. He grew up watching those things being done to dogs, that was his "normal" life. It never occurred to him that it was wrong, because in his world, nobody questioned those actions.

So, when he says, that he sees things differently now, I want to believe him. I also hope that the humane society is still in touch with him and that his actions are being monitored.

No monitoring. He is free to own dogs now. sad.gif
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaken_bacon View Post

While that seems like a reasonable statement at first my question to Vick is this: "Why the dog?! Really after all this why a DOG! You could choose so many different animals to take on as pets so your children could develop a healthy relationship with animals so I repeat... Why the dog?! Don't you realize how people are going to view you? Don't you realize the position you're putting yourself in? What were you thinking?!" Even if Vick thinks he has changed, I'm very suspicious that deep down he is truly changed. He could have choose any animal, but he had to go with a dog.

It's almost a taunt, from someone who has literally, physically, personally tortured many of them to death in intentional and gruesome ways.  That's the kind of thing a sociopath does.

Animal lovers might say he's changed.  But they would never place a dog THEY love with him, which should tell you something.  So why should any dog have to be with him.  If you were a dog, would you want to be with Vick? 

Exactly. And does anyone know what kind of dog he has? If it's a pit bull, i hope someone kidnaps it.
#22 Old 10-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think Vick should be allowed to have a dog. However, I try to make sure that any anger and outrage I feel is directed into positive action. Unless someone is mounting a campaign to change the laws or policies about whether or not convicted animal abusers are allowed to adopt animals, then I think discussion on this topic is mostly wasted breath.

And because it's been brought up in this thread: convicted child abusers are NOT legally allowed to adopt children. They are, however, allowed to procreate.

#23 Old 10-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I think people are allowed to be outraged about this. If there is no discussion, Vick can just quietly start torturing dogs again. At least with people talking about it, he will feel under scrutiny and hopefully watch his ways, so the first time the puppy poops in his shoe he doesn't throw the dog through the wall.
#24 Old 10-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Beginner

From an emotional standpoint, I absolutely don't disagree with Irizary. It's not that I wasn't outraged, I was and I still am. Should he have a dog? No. Would I leave my dogs with him? Heck no! I wouldn't leave any pets, kids or humans with him without supervision.

Logically speaking, I know that I ate chicken a few months ago. I knew how the chicken got on my plate, I knew what I was supporting by pouring milk in my coffee, but I did it anyway, Point is, I knew it wasn't right, it didn't feel right, but I did it. Was I actively enjoying the abuse that went into producing the chicken? No, but I was enjoying the outcome of the abuse. Well, "enjoying" might not be the right word, otherwise I wouldn't be here. If I was able to change my view for good, then I have to give people like MV the benefit of the doubt.

Now, I think that while giving MV the benefit of the doubt, he needs to be monitored. I have contacted the humane society to ask how they're going to make sure that he will not harm his current dog. I hope that everybody who's concerned about the puppy will do the same.
#25 Old 10-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Banned

There should be better laws for animal abusers, this is a good example of why we need stricter penalties. 

He is pretty stupid for getting another dog, even if he is allowed to legally, because he knows how outraged it makes a lot of people.  

Kids can learn about dogs and animals w/o owning them, take them to volunteer at the animal shelter or adoption groups instead.  He is dumb and this is just more publicity for the stupid NFL.

#26 Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

He is pretty stupid for getting another dog, even if he is allowed to legally, because he knows how outraged it makes a lot of people.  

I would suggest that's exactly why he's doing it.  It's a big F-U to the society and people that made him stop and sent him to prison (for gambling, not for torturing dogs).  That's what someone does who's not sorry and trying to ease the pain he caused to many people, but just pissed at getting caught and wants to throw it back in people's faces.  "See - I can still have a dog and there's nothing you can do about it."

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#27 Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

i think if michael vick did dog fighting befor why wouldnt he do it again? he could just be more careful so he wouldnt get caught. he obviously enjoyed it. theres nothing stopping him. and he could easily do discusting things to his new "family pet" behind closed doors and no one would know.  

if there is a hell he is definatley one person that i want to go there. same with any animal abusers and torturers. 

i also think that instead of a slap on the wrist he shouldve had done to him what he did to the innocent animals that he tortured. Is that capital punishment? whatever it is it should be legalized in america.

#28 Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

From an emotional standpoint, I absolutely don't disagree with Irizary. It's not that I wasn't outraged, I was and I still am. Should he have a dog? No. Would I leave my dogs with him? Heck no! I wouldn't leave any pets, kids or humans with him without supervision.
Logically speaking, I know that I ate chicken a few months ago. I knew how the chicken got on my plate, I knew what I was supporting by pouring milk in my coffee, but I did it anyway, Point is, I knew it wasn't right, it didn't feel right, but I did it. Was I actively enjoying the abuse that went into producing the chicken? No, but I was enjoying the outcome of the abuse. Well, "enjoying" might not be the right word, otherwise I wouldn't be here. If I was able to change my view for good, then I have to give people like MV the benefit of the doubt.
Now, I think that while giving MV the benefit of the doubt, he needs to be monitored. I have contacted the humane society to ask how they're going to make sure that he will not harm his current dog. I hope that everybody who's concerned about the puppy will do the same.

if they answer you can you post there reply on here?

#29 Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Beginner

Will definitely post their answer. Still waiting for a response.
#30 Old 10-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Ankle Biter

I have very mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, the guy did do the time that was required of him. And I heard him join an interview with Wayne Pacelle a few years back on NPR. Vick did a good job of explaining that he had changed and that he was sorry and terribly ashamed of what he had done. I believe him, mostly. Do I think he's going to go back to dog fighting? No, I don't. He has far too much to lose this time.

But I also don't think that Michael Vick deserves the joy and love that comes from having a dog in your home and in your life. It's one of the best relationships a person can have, and I hate, hate to think that some sweet dog is licking his face and hands. I have a button on my backpack that says **** Vick. It's not coming off anytime soon.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page