Meat's Macho Image Keeps Guys from Downing Veggies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
\tIf meat represents masculinity, it would seem men would be more likely than women to prefer meat to other foods a means of reinforcing gender. To test this idea, the researchers analyzed data of more than 2,000 university students who indicated how much they liked or disliked various foods. Male students were significantly more likely than female students to like beef, meat and orange juice; and the women were significantly more likely than guys to like salad and vegetables.
\tThis "masculine meat" phenomenon seems to hold in other countries as well. In one study of 23 languages with gendered pronouns, the researchers found "that the vast majority of these gendered words and these languages associate meat with the masculine pronoun," Wansink told LiveScience.
\tThe food choices and manly meat link likely comes from self-image, Wansink said. "It's very much inconsistent with the image a lot of them have of themselves," he said during a phone interview. And regarding vegetables, even protein-rich tofu, "it's not something a strong man can survive on."

How irritating. With so many bodybuilders and pro-athletes going veg*n to improve their performance these guys need to do some research.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

How irritating. With so many bodybuilders and pro-athletes going veg*n to improve their performance these guys need to do some research.

What.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 05-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

What.

Google it! Robert Cheeke is the most famous vegan bodybuilder I know of and there are a ton of websites.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I forgot that most vegan bodybuilders have a tendency to stay away from 'roids.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 05-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Women could solve this problem overnight... start preferring and viewing veg*n men as more masculine.

Just say something like "You don't eat meat? That is soooo hot!"
#6 Old 05-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

deleted

#7 Old 05-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Women could solve this problem overnight... start preferring and viewing veg*n men as more masculine.

Their hormones won't let that happen more often than not. "Meat-eater man more liked by society". "meat-eater man likely better provider in case I get knocked up". "Meat-eater man willing to skin rabbit to keep our baby warm, etc". "Meat-eater man seen more as good catch by freinds/family", "veg man can't have penis over 2 inch long ".

No doubt if I dressed up like the marlboro man for my avatar and made an account over at the Ilovechalk forum, said I was a cattle rancher, many of the veg women there would be hitting on me. But I ruined such an experiment by mentioning it.
#8 Old 05-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

Their hormones won't let that happen more often than not. "Meat-eater man more liked by society". "meat-eater man likely better provider in case I get knocked up". "Meat-eater man willing to skin rabbit to keep our baby warm, etc". "Meat-eater man seen more as good catch by freinds/family", "veg man can't have penis over 2 inch long ".

No doubt if I dressed up like the marlboro man for my avatar and made an account over at the Ilovechalk forum, said I was a cattle rancher, many of the veg women there would be hitting on me. But I ruined such an experiment by mentioning it.

I hope you're not being serious. There's nothing sexier to me than a compassionate intelligent guy who cares about animals.

#9 Old 05-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Banned

You are an exception. I already know that, 'cause I've never seen you being eager to be hostile to veg men, like I've seen some other veg women do. They get like freakin flying monsters out of a 60's japanese movie towards veg men for no real good reason.
#10 Old 05-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

True story, I actually know one of the former marlboro men, lives around here, real cowboy etc. He's around 80 now, still manages to go out with women almost 1/2 his age.
#11 Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

True story, I actually know one of the former marlboro men, lives around here, real cowboy etc. He's around 80 now, still manages to go out with women almost 1/2 his age.

That's not something for me though.

#12 Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

A more direct solution would be men simply doing what's ethical, regardless of whether it's perceived as "manly".
#13 Old 05-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's not something for me though.

#14 Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

I hope you're not being serious. There's nothing sexier to me than a compassionate intelligent guy who cares about animals.

Amen!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#15 Old 05-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

i love how this thread has become about women -_-
#16 Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

It's like you read my mind.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Amen!

Interesting standpoint, would this be more common in women who are older than me?

#17 Old 05-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

A more direct solution would be men simply doing what's ethical, regardless of whether it's perceived as "manly".

Yeah but I was talking about a solution for the men who what to be perceived as "manly", not the compassionate intelligent guys.
#18 Old 05-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Interesting standpoint, would this be more common in women who are older than me?

I would say most definitely, women come to appreciate less manly men later in life after they've had their fill of the manly variety.
#19 Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sometimes I am watching TV and there is a man there and I am idly observing him. Then it is mentioned he is a vegetarian/vegan and suddenly he holds new interest for me. For me it is a major bonus. It bumps their attractiveness rate up many points. Especially seeing there are so few of them. They are like a wonderful prize. Men who eat meat and are tough looking are everywhere. The men who share my views arent.
#20 Old 05-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There's nothing sexier to me than a compassionate intelligent guy who cares about animals.

Seriously!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#21 Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Who's that?

And I can't read this thread as anything but---
Meat's Macho Image Keeps Guys from Drowning Veggies

I couldn't understand why meat was protecting veggies....

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#22 Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Who's that?

And I can't read this thread as anything but---
Meat's Macho Image Keeps Guys from Drowning Veggies

I couldn't understand why meat was protecting veggies....

And that's Chris Hansen from To Catch a Predator, he busts people for trying to hook up with underage girls on TV.

#23 Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate this too. What exactly is so masculine about it? did they go out with spears and kill it themselves? come on now, any looser can pick up a $3 pack of meat from the grocery store, and nevermind the fact that some of the largest and most "macho" animals in the world are herbivores.
#24 Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That would be nice. : )
#25 Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Male students were significantly more likely than female students to like beef, meat and orange juice

why orange juice? Is it because all those innocent oranges got their guts squeezed out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page