NPR: "How One Former Vegan Learned to Embrace Butchering" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
But with the revival of the butcher shop, some young people are undertaking the largely lost art of butchering as a stronger way to connect with their food.

For 24-year-old Andrew Plotsky of Washington, D.C., that meant leaving his job as a barista in a snobby coffee shop to learn the process of raising an animal, slaughtering it and butchering it for a meal.

"I had a romantic idea of the way I thought animals should and could be processed," he tells The Salt. He says he was attracted to the small scale tradition of a whole community having its hands involved in the raising of animals for food. "I wanted to be a part of that process," he says. "Somehow, that manifested in pig slaughter."

Full Story Here

Looking at the guy's picture and his history as a barista in a "snobby" cafe, I'm guessing the only reason he was vegan in the first place was to be trendy.

WARNING: There is one photo of him tackling a pig in the article, but not killing it (yet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

"I had a romantic idea of the way I thought animals should and could be processed," he tells The Salt. He says he was attracted to the small scale tradition of a whole community having its hands involved in the raising of animals for food. "I wanted to be a part of that process," he says. "Somehow, that manifested in pig slaughter."

OMFG, that quote is so deranged.
I would request a search warrant for his house and computer.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 01-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

^ Referring to that same quote, I don't know how the words 'romantic' and 'slaughter' can fit into the same thought. Or how he thinks he bonds with the pig when he kills it. I doubt the pig feels that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 AM

"I had a romantic idea of the way I thought children should be enslaved and labored," he tells The Salt. He says he was attracted to the small scale tradition of a whole community having its hands involved in the slavery of children for food. "I wanted to be a part of that process," he says. "Somehow, that manifested in buying my own child slaves."

It's tradition, right?
#5 Old 01-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Beginner

"The immediacy of taking life was difficult at first. It's still something I'm figuring out how to rationalize." Then don't do it. It seems like he thinks he needs to work through the guilt so he can be okay with doing it. Why is it that some people just refuse to listen to their conscience?
#6 Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

I wish every parent would teach their children that is wrong to take a life. I remember saying this to someone, and they remarked- well of course they do! How could you say that? I reminded them that I corrected their own child when I told he was killing a grasshopper. They laughed.
I reminded her of Jeffry Dahmer (sp?), known for killing incests, small animals, and humans. At least he ate the humans, right?

#7 Old 01-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Beginner

^ It's a circular problem. The parents weren't brought up to believe it's wrong to kill animals so they don't teach their children that it's wrong to kill animals, who don't teach their children, etc. Unfortunately not many people question what they're told. I agree that parents should teach they're children this, and it's frustrating that this is an idealistic rather than realistic idea.
#8 Old 01-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I have sifted through the dreck of that article to provide you, dear reader, with these gems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by from article View Post

By killing the animal himself, Plotsky says he strengthens his bond to that animal, as well as the food it provides, the ground it lived on, and the family and friends he shares the meal with.

Sometimes... a facepalm, or even a heartfelt "WHAT THE ****??!!", just doesn't quite express how you probably feel.
Oh- and this, about a pig's foot, or "trotter", on his plate:
Quote:
"They're kind of everything a chicken wing dreams of being."

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I bond with my animals by feeding them, not by feeding them to me.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#10 Old 01-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

"Maaaaan, it's the circle of life you know?? *rolls a joint* When I was listening to the newest Vampire Weekend album -- they got 8.4 from Pitchfork btw -- I was thinking, you know, I wanna be connected to nature and stuff. Dude, we're all here just children of the earth mother and I wanna hug the earth mother and maybe kill some of the other children sometime too."

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#11 Old 01-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by from article
By killing the animal himself, Plotsky says he strengthens his bond to that animal, as well as the food it provides, the ground it lived on, and the family and friends he shares the meal with.

Quoted from Jeffrey Dahmer:
"The maintaining of the skulls was a way to feel that I had saved at least something of their essence, that I wasn't a total waste in killing them."

#12 Old 01-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

"Maaaaan, it's the circle of life you know?? *rolls a joint* When I was listening to the newest Vampire Weekend album -- they got 8.4 from Pitchfork btw -- I was thinking, you know, I wanna be connected to nature and stuff. Dude, we're all here just children of the earth mother and I wanna hug the earth mother and maybe kill some of the other children sometime too."

Don't make fun of stoners! They're more often than not pacifist and benign beings who support our non-violent way of life.
#13 Old 01-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Banned

I'm not sure what I found more disgusting, the article itself or the majority of the comments below it. I wish I hadn't read those.
#14 Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

He's probably a former "vegan" in the same way Lierre Keith was a former "vegan."

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 01-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Is that the guy from workaholics?
#16 Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofLimits View Post

Don't make fun of stoners! They're more often than not pacifist and benign beings who support our non-violent way of life.

yeah, stoners can do no wrong.

#17 Old 01-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Beginner

I will never understand how killing an animal for taste bud pleasure = respect, care, love, special bonding. sick! I could never kill my cat, rip her to shreds, eat her, and then feel okay with myself.
#18 Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

lol pitchfork
#19 Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

What the hell.
#20 Old 01-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelkid87 View Post

I will never understand how killing an animal for taste bud pleasure = respect, care, love, special bonding. sick! I could never kill my cat, rip her to shreds, eat her, and then feel okay with myself.

But how else will you bond fully with your cat?

Yeah, what a load of crap.

The whole 'snobby cafe hipster vegan' thing vs. the 'wholesome country in touch with nature pig slaughtering' BS is very irritating.
#21 Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

What an a-hole. I think he is just one big attention monger. I'd like to stick a pitchfork in him and see how he feels about bonding w/ me.

Laura
#22 Old 01-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

[I]
Quoted from Jeffrey Dahmer:
"The maintaining of the skulls was a way to feel that I had saved at least something of their essence, that I wasn't a total waste in killing them."

This just sounds completely insane. What a disturbing article.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#23 Old 01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Interesting story.. makes me sick >_>

All we are is dust in the wind
#24 Old 01-22-2012, 05:33 PM

I just don't get how saying "romantic" and "slaughter" in the case of a pig can be any different than brutally murdering a human being. It makes absolutely no sense to me. It's just completely barbaric.
#25 Old 01-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

lol pitchfork

That's what I got out of the post too.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#26 Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

He needs a pitchfork to the knee.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#27 Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Doesn't seem like a very bright fellow.
#28 Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

He needs a pitchfork to the knee.

I used to strengthen my bond to animals, the food they provide, the ground they lived on, and the family and friends I shares the meal with by killing the animals myself. Then I took a pitchfork in the knee.
#29 Old 01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw this article on FB the other day, I thought it was just a made up story.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#30 Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

WARNING: There is one photo of him tackling a pig in the article, but not killing it (yet)

Lying in a pool of blood; someone already died there.

Keep on freepin' on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page