Special Session on whale and dolphin intelligence and the implications of it. AMAZING - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
A movement is stirring in scientific circles to consider whales and dolphins to be deserving of the rights and respect accorded to persons. The American Association for the Advancement of Science will hold a special session on the question, called "Declaration of Rights for Cetaceans: Ethical and Policy Implications of Intelligence"

http://aaas.confex.com/aaas/2012/web...ssion4617.html

Quote:
ONE OF THE MOST important features of science is that scientific progress regularly leads to important ethical questions. This is particularly true with research about cetaceans — whales, dolphins and the like — because it has become increasingly apparent that the inner life of these nonhumans is more complex than most humans realise. We have learned that their capacity for suffering is significantly greater than has been imagined—which makes much human behavior towards these nonhumans ethically problematic.

http://www.abc.net.au/environment/ar...16/3406990.htm

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I think we can value animals for what they are in themselves, but that doesn't mean that their mental capacity can be compared to humans. The animal intelligence is mysterious and wonderful, and perhaps more complex than we believe, but I don't think dolphins and whales are more intelligent than, say, monkeys.

I'm for animal rights, but I still don't think that animals ought to be treated as being on the same level as humans. We don't help animals by pretending they are something which they aren't. We ought to value them for what they are.

Eat Your Vegetables
#3 Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

I'm for animal rights, but I still don't think that animals ought to be treated as being on the same level as humans. We don't help animals by pretending they are something which they aren't. We ought to value them for what they are.

Would you elaborate on why they shouldn't be treated on the "same level as humans"? Why do you classify them as being "below us"? It's pretty arrogant of humanity to agree upon the definition of intelligence, apply that definition to other species and conclude that we are superior. In many ways, animals are more perceptive than us and show similar levels of sophisticated emotional responses.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tEinstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantDream View Post

Would you elaborate on why they shouldn't be treated on the "same level as humans"?

Yes, sure. I've got a neighbour who believes her chickens understands everything she tells them. And I know about people who thinks their horses can communicate with them telepathically. It's such fringe notions that gives the animal rights movement a bad reputation.
It is with such ideas in mind that I wrote: "I think we can value animals for what they are in themselves, but that doesn't mean that their mental capacity can be compared to humans," and "I still don't think that animals ought to be treated as being on the same level as humans, [et cetera.]"

Eat Your Vegetables

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page