USA Slaughter Totals Down by About 250 Million vs. 2008 (Vegan.com) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

http://vegan.com/blog/2012/01/16/usa...llion-vs-2008/

Quote:
HSUS just updated its annually-released USA slaughter totals, and the news is better than anyone could reasonably expect. In 2011, more than one billion fewer land animals were killed in the United States than in 2008. Weve dropped from 9.5 to 8.4 billion victims.
Higher meat prices, flexitarians, Meatless Mondays, and dramatically expanding vegetarian food options surely deserve a lot of the credit. Most of this change is surely being driven by the fact that tens of millions of Americans are now regularly eating vegetarian mealswhereas just five years ago they would have recoiled at the very idea. (Via Vegan Outreach.) Link.
Update: I misread the chart, and the 8.4 billion number is only through the end of November. That puts the likely year-end total at between 9.1 and 9.2 billion. While thats little changed from 2010, its still probably about 250 million fewer animals for the year than 2008. Also, given the growing US population, any year slaughter totals remain unchanged mean less killing per capita. (Thanks, Andrew, Eitan, Maren, & Yuri.)

This brightened up my Monday quite a bit

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM

That's good news. Yay!!!

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men." ~Leonardo da Vinci~
"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and...
#3 Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

That makes me smile. We're definitely accomplishing something. Let's all keep steamrolling ahead.

Veggies unite!!!!!

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#5 Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#6 Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 AM

Really good news. While searching for how many animals are out there ready to be slaughtered I actually found the numbers for the worldwide cattle population . The good news is, it has been decreasing (with a significant jump 2006 -> 2007 , was that cattle desease back then?) the last couple of years as well. Less cattle = less cattle to be killed = less global warming = good news as well!
#7 Old 01-17-2012, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I took the liberty of screen-capturing the chart from The Humane Society.

Quote:

*Year to date through November
Source: USDA, National Agricultural Statistics Service

Note: These data do not include statistics on the slaughter of fish, crustaceans, rabbits and other farmed animals for whom the USDA does not provide information, or on the slaughter of animals who are not farmed, such as equines. The USDA estimates that up to 2 million rabbits were slaughtered in 2001 in the United States. There is no more recent report than the 2002 Rabbit Industry Profile.

#8 Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

That's really great to hear! I had heard or read somewhere that rabbit farming in the US seems to be declining somewhat, or at least the number of slaughter houses that kill them. I don't know if that's true at all, but I do hope so.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#9 Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Also, given the growing US population, any year slaughter totals remain unchanged mean less killing per capita.

That line alone would be enough to make me happy, but the fact that some of the numbers have actually decreased makes it even better.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#10 Old 01-22-2012, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

This is great news. What about the number of fish? How has that been effected?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page